Official Review: The Secret Key of Pythagorum

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: The Secret Key of Pythagorum

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret Key of Pythagorum" by Michele Angello.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Young Savaric was given a special gift that could be considered both a blessing and a curse. The gift of magic.

Though many find him odd and his mother is wary of him, the one person that has always been there for Savaric is his grandmother, Nana. One day, his magical talent of invisibility leads him to a mysterious and intriguing map. Where this map takes him is on a journey that he never would have thought possible.

Now racing time against an angered man, a suspicious sheriff, and untrustworthy fairies, Savaric and his companion, Elias, must find out where the map leads before anyone else does. Encountering both royalty, perhaps a legendary one, and danger, Savaric learns his true place in the world in Michele Angello’s young adult historical fantasy, The Secret Key of Pythagorum.

Written in the third-person omniscient point-of-view, readers can expect to not only follow Savaric and others on following the map, but to dip into the fifth century. The fifth century storyline is brief and sporadic, but eventually, the older timeline does connect to the present one. In reality, it is unclear if the fifth century story beat is truly necessary, but it was interesting to read.

When diving into Savaric’s life and journey, it was extremely easy and realistic to imagine this young boy’s quest to find answers. The author created a character that was easy to sympathize with and feel a sense of victory for when the book ended. His loyalty, bravery, and friendship are characteristics one looks for in a strong protagonist.

The plot moved extremely well and never seemed rushed. Though I wished there was more to Savaric’s magical ability, I never found myself bored. When looking for an area of improvement, the only one I can find is to better explore the motivation for Savaric’s expedition. Was it purely out of curiosity? Did his grandmother know more than she let on? Knowing more of the motivation would have made the plot even stronger.

Themes of multi-generation relationships, domestic abuse, discovery, friendship, and bravery can easily be found within these pages. Nana and Savaric have such a unique and loving bond that filled my heart with warmth while his mother, Nicola, filled me with sadness. When looking at the domestic abuse here, it was neither graphic nor lengthy, but there were scenes when Nicola would hit her son toward the beginning of the novel. One of the aspects that I loved was how Savaric fumbled with his sense of bravery. He didn't always know the answers and sometimes made the wrong choices, but in the end, he was a person with a good heart.

Overall, this historical fantasy was a tale that was well-written and flowed well. It was one that featured a likable and realistic character which many young adult readers could relate to his uncertainty and his eventual growth. Therefore, I give The Secret Key of Pythagorum a 4 out of 4 stars.

The Secret Key of Pythagorum
View: on Bookshelves

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Historical fantasy, huh? It sounds quite interesting and intriguing. It's another lovely review of a book that I'm certainly going to have to add to my list. If only we didn't have to sleep. Then there would be more time for reading! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 15:14 Wow! Historical fantasy, huh? It sounds quite interesting and intriguing. It's another lovely review of a book that I'm certainly going to have to add to my list. If only we didn't have to sleep. Then there would be more time for reading! Thanks!
Haha :lol: I also wish we didn't have to sleep, so I could read more! Whenever you do get to it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thank you for reading! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Savaric sounds like a character one would find it hard not to fall in love with. I'm not a big fan of magic but this sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the review! :D
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

This seems like a good read if looking for an adventure-type of book. I like that it has likeable and realistic characters.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Untrustworthy fairies. Cool. It sad about his mom. That's good that he ateast has his grandma. Would be pretty fun to turn invisible. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

The book about the magical talents of the protagonist has been reviewed in a correct manneR. Thanks for the review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

a special gift that could be considered both a blessing and a curse. The gift of magic.
As the cliche goes, "with power comes responsibility." Despite the relatable human weaknesses and flows, the protagonist's strong personality through it all is also quite notable. Thank you for your in-depth review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Ruthie+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Ruthie+ »

This is an adventure kind of book. And I like adventure books. This is a good book to read.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Newly discovered magic combined with untrustworthy fairies can make for an adventure with unexpected twists. I like that the abusive mother was balanced by a loving grandmother.

Thank you for your informative review. It was an enjoyable read, which usually signifies that the book will be enjoyable as well. It has found a spot on my bookshelves.
:library:🐢
Ryan L
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan-l.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Ryan L »

It seems like a book that I can really get into. I have always been a fan of historical fiction and fantasy so a combination of the two is really exciting to see. In addition to that, it has an adventure element to it. Definitely going to check it out.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”