Review by Ijeoma Kikelomo -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Review by Ijeoma Kikelomo -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stretch your imagination for a bit. Consider this. What if there were two of you? And no, not a twin. Another you going by your own name and surname, similar to you in every way. Just another copy. Then, imagine meeting such a person face-to-face. What would you say? You probably consider this ridiculous, fascinating, or even impossible. Well when it comes to books, nothing is impossible.

The Crystelleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid is a book in the Young Adults Genre. In this book, the author brings to life a tale about something only the wildly imaginative would consider. Another Realm. Another reality---Echoland. Echoland is a mystical world with fairies, animals that can be flown upon, scented and flavoured waterfalls, and lakes with diamonds underneath, just to name a few amazing features. A world very much different from ours, except for one detail, its citizens are a complete duplicate of persons in the human world. In Echoland, the human world is referred to as the Sound Realm. Humans are called Sounds, and every Sound has another him or her called an Echo, living in Echoland. As Deà so nicely explains, “It happens all the time. Life begins twice. You see Sounds. But you don’t see their see-through reflection. They float away at birth: flowers, trees, animals...people. Rain washes them into rivers. And the rivers wash them into Echoland.”

Our protagonist, Will Cleary, is a twelve-year-old boy who disappeared along with his twin sister, Emmy, from their parents home when they were just two years old. The only thing is just one week later, Will returned, without his twin. Everyone had questions, but who could they ask? All anyone knew was that a wolf and a falcon brought him back. He kept babbling their names: Deà, Damian. Ten years have gone by, but still, the search for his sister continues. Who kidnapped them in the first place? Will Emmy ever be found? Why return one child? Who would keep a child hostage for ten years?

Once again Will's life is threatened. For a law governs Echoland. That when a Sound dies, his Echo would die also, or evil times would follow. William Cleary's Echo (second him), is the Prince of Echoland, and somebody wants the prince dead. Killing the prince wouldn’t be murder if the law commands it. For that to happen, his Sound must be killed. And who would notice if a twelve-year-old boy just strangely dies? Or so the conspirators thought. Therefore putting Will's life in imminent danger, for if he dies, his Echo, the prince, would be condemned to death.

Before reading The Crystelleries of Echoland, I wasn’t particularly interested in books in this genre, for reasons that suddenly seem absurd. The writer deserves commendation for a well-written book, with a beautiful plot and expertly developed characters. Each character was unique, had its own story but somehow, everything was linked. What I liked best about this book was the plot itself. Reading through, I couldn’t help but wonder how one just sits and begins to imagine all of this. Beyond imagining, the author painted such vivid pictures with words, it felt like I was in Echoland. I wasn’t surprised when I found out at the end of the book that it had taken the author twelve years to imagine Echoland.

Although every character was special, Aurelius was one character I was most drawn to. The Mongrel (half Sound, half Echo) that was treated as an outcast in Echoland. Aurelius, who hated his own father. The poor boy who grew up in hiding because he was considered an abomination, but who later found a home in a different world where he was seen as unique and beautiful. I felt his pain and rejoiced at his happiness. The book served really thought-provoking themes like betrayal, vengeance, friendship and the quest for redemption. It was suspenseful and at no point boring.

There were, however, a few downsides. I noticed one punctuation and spelling error. Illyria was spelt 'Ilyria' in chapter 60. The pages were not numbered, there were only chapters. I also thought most of the illustrations were sort of too intense and off-putting. Even the cover photo wasn’t very inviting. I almost skipped on this book because of that. Concerning the story itself, we are told that the Killing Law condemns an Echo to death once his Sound dies. Dew Pellucid, an Echo, is described as ‘ancient’ and ‘toothless.’ Is that to say that somewhere in the human realm, there exists an ancient woman with no teeth who still has the strength to run an orphanage? Since the fact that Pellucid is alive only means her Sound is too.

Nevertheless, The Crystelleries of Echoland is an incredible story and one that I enjoyed from start to finish. Hence, I have no qualms whatsoever rating this book as 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to lovers of books in the Young Adults Genre and to anyone seeking a visit to a world different from ours.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ijeoma Kikelomo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The book seems to contain an interesting plot. I would like to know how Will would survive the threats in his life. Great review!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This book has an intriguing premise, and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Scented waterfalls and lakes of diamonds. I love those details. I hope his sister is found alive. I wish I could read this book now. Wonderful review!
:tiphat:
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 05:02 The book seems to contain an interesting plot. I would like to know how Will would survive the threats in his life. Great review!
Thanks a lot for your comment!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

Book Lover 35 wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 01:47 Scented waterfalls and lakes of diamonds. I love those details. I hope his sister is found alive. I wish I could read this book now. Wonderful review!
I'm glad you liked the review. Thanks for commenting!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

gen_g wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 21:38 This book has an intriguing premise, and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.
Thank YOU for commenting!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is an amazing and captivating book indeed. I like the story. It is very captivating and sounds very unique. I would truly love to read it. You've described it well. Too sad that the cover photo is not that inviting.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I agree with you about the cover thing. Cover and all the illustrations were not intriguing at all. Every thing was equa blue that was not much fascinating. Thank you for a good review ☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I enjoyed your review. The first paragraph was great in leading into the explanation of the story. I loved this book as well, and it deserves all the praises.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is a very fascinating book. Your review has piqued my interest in this one. I hope he did find his twin sister. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Wow, what an incredible review. The story sounds intriguing. Am not a Young Adult genre fanatic but your review made me think otherwise. I appreciate your kind review
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

This is a really nice concept. Books like this are not easy to pull off and they confuse me at times, but I'm pleased the author was able to give us a well-written book. Good character development is also a plus. Nice review.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I, too, hesitated picking up this book but once I did, I was so glad! The author has a very clear voice.

Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

An absolutely magical review! I normally don't seek out fantasy/sci-fi books, but you make this book sound super intriguing in your review. The thought of another "me" in a totally different world is indeed jarring, and yet, compelling. Lovely writing in this review, as always :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”