Official Review: Landon Rides The Subway by Diana Perez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Landon Rides The Subway by Diana Perez

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Landon Rides The Subway" by Diana Perez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most people treat riding the subway as an activity that is second nature to them. Like walking and sleeping, subway travel has become a way of life for a lot of people; it doesn’t warrant a second thought. Landon Rides the Subway recreates the thrill and wonder of how it felt to ride the subway for the first time. The final destination of his subway ride is the Museum of Natural History, and his excitement for that gets dwarfed by the amazing atmosphere of the underground. What a fun way for children to get excited about a form of travel that most adults find dreary and routine.

As a result of the wonderful illustrations in the book, the vibe of the subway is virtually tangible. The people, the music, the lights – it was an absolute delight! I felt Landon’s sheer elation through the images and narrative – even though the text was somewhat limited, being a children’s book. I applaud Diana Perez, the author, for managing to get so much energy and enthusiasm into such a limited amount of text. With only a few lines per page (if any), she manages to clue the reader in about exactly what Landon is feeling.

The illustrations, as mentioned, are fantastic. They are colourful and full of contrasting hues that demand the reader’s attention. I love that the illustrator has given Landon a teddy bear backpack, which he dons throughout the journey. There is a part where characters from Landon’s favourite movie start to sing and dance. It doesn’t mention what movie, but the illustration clearly shows people wearing outfits from The Lion King. The relationship between the writing and the images is perfectly interdependent.

This book goes to show that riding a subway shouldn’t be just another humdrum experience. There is also nothing frightening about it – so fear is definitely not something that children should feel when the underground is concerned. The subway, ultimately, is their connection between home and all the cool places they want to visit. What fun!

I love it when I can happily give a children’s book 4 out of 4 stars. This one certainly deserves it. It has been well edited, it is educational, and I feel that children would get excited to read it. I would recommend this book to parents and teachers who read to their children, as well as children that are learning to read. The simple sentences and corresponding images make it easy to understand. This book will make children enthusiastic and ready to explore the world. What a fun ride it was!

Landon Rides The Subway
View: on Bookshelves

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

With characters from Landon’s favourite movie singing and dancing, this book sounds like a fun read. The fact that it's also educational is an added advantage. Nice review!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like such a great children's book! I love it when children's books have both interesting content and brilliant illustrations for a more immersive experience to make learning fun. I absolutely loved your review! :D
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 02:31 With characters from Landon’s favourite movie singing and dancing, this book sounds like a fun read. The fact that it's also educational is an added advantage. Nice review!
Thanks for stopping by :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

gen_g wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 03:51 This sounds like such a great children's book! I love it when children's books have both interesting content and brilliant illustrations for a more immersive experience to make learning fun. I absolutely loved your review! :D
Thanks, gen :) I must say, I'm always happy to give a children's book a perfect rating!
- Dr. Seuss
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This' too funny AND familiar. The small city I grew up in didn't have subs, so when I moved here, to the big city, in my 40s, it was SUCH a wondrous thing for me. Even now, after 6 years, I still find them fascinating. Thanks for the fun review!
Last edited by MsTri on 18 Nov 2018, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The author's ability to build an adventure out of the sense of wonder inherent children is commendable. The good illustrations add a nice bow on the entertaining package. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

As we grow older we forget to find joy in little things. It seems this book can help us relive those moments of innocent joy.

Thank you for the great review.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

MsTri wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 12:18 This' too funny AND familiar. The small city I grew up in didn't have subs, so when I moved here, to the big city, in my 40s, it was SUCH a wondrous thing for me. Even now, after 6 years, I still find them fascinating. Thanks for the fun review!
I live in a country that only has old-school trains. So I'm in the same boat (so to speak :)) I must say, I've always enjoyed riding a subway - but it's still a novelty for me when I travel!
Thanks, MsTri!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cotwani wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 12:23 The author's ability to build an adventure out of the sense of wonder inherent children is commendable. The good illustrations add a nice bow on the entertaining package. Great review!
Thanks, Cotwani! I must say, it was really fun :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Kajori50 wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 13:04 As we grow older we forget to find joy in little things. It seems this book can help us relive those moments of innocent joy.

Thank you for the great review.
Thanks, Kajori :) We do forget to appreciate the little things sometimes!
- Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

What an enjoyable review! I was sitting beside Landon, pressing the nose of his Teddy 🐻 while singing Hakuna Matata.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Omg, I love that he has a teddy bear backpack. I think Landon's trip to the museum could make an excellent sequel. It's so great to see a cute, fun, educational book for children. Parents of young ones on OBC should check this one out. I loved this review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

What a wonderful children's book and an excellent review as well!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I remember riding the subway for the first time. It was exciting. I can understand why kids would be excited. I like that there's a teddy bear backpack. That's adorable. Great review!
:tiphat:

Return to “Children's Books”