Official Review: Back to Bible Basics; Forward in Faith, ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Official Review: Back to Bible Basics; Forward in Faith, ...

Post by stacie k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Back to Bible Basics; Forward in Faith, Hope and Love" by Desmond B Hills.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Scrapbooking can be defined as organizing moments of the past so they have meaning for future generations. Desmond B. Hills has done some unconventional scrapbooking in his book Back to Bible Basics: Forward in Faith, Hope, and Love. Reading the Bible can feel like an overwhelming task with its sixty-six books, hard-to-pronounce names and places, and daunting length. Where should a young reader begin? How can he understand it? Mr. Hills’ book will be an invaluable resource to readers of any age. He has compiled a comprehensive, yet easily understood, overview of the Old and New Testaments. Instead of documenting birthdays, weddings, and special occasions, he traces the themes of faith, hope, and love through each section of the scriptures.

There is much to praise about this work. The author took great care to present Biblically accurate content. Leonard P. Tolhurst, who has invested twenty-eight years in theological education, endorsed the work as being both factually accurate and spiritually refreshing. The author carefully documented his research sources, which included commentaries, handbooks, surveys, Bible biographies, and reference books. One of the things I liked most about this book was the author’s humble attitude. He wrote the book not to bring glory to himself; instead, his aim was to help people understand the scriptures and get to know Jesus. He candidly pointed out that reading about the Bible is no substitute for actually reading the Bible.

A book of this nature could potentially be dry and difficult to get through, but Mr. Hills has done an excellent job of keeping the reader’s interest by breaking up the content with poems, colorful illustrations, quizzes, charts, and maps. I personally appreciate the large text size which makes it easy on the eyes. Another praise for this work is how practical it is with multiple Bible reading plans and resources for further study. I verified one of the websites referenced to confirm its accuracy.

I had no complaints about this work, but I did come up with one suggestion for improvement. Along with the quizzes on Old and New Testament knowledge, it would benefit the reader to include an answer key as the questions were challenging.

For its attractive presentation, Biblical accuracy, and in-depth research, I rate Back to Bible Basics: Forward in Faith, Hope, and Love 4 out of 4 stars. I spotted a handful of editing errors, such as missing punctuation or use of “it’s” rather than “its”. However, I did not feel the errors were severe enough to merit the deduction of a star. I highly recommend this resource to those who want to gain a greater understanding of the Bible. It is best used as a study guide rather than reading straight through.

Back to Bible Basics; Forward in Faith, Hope and Love
View: on Bookshelves

Like stacie k's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I like the author's well researched/referenced approach. I also already want to indulge in the poems, colorful illustrations, quizzes, charts, and maps that break up the serious content! Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Ben3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ben3 »

:is such a wonderful book that quenches ones spiritual thirst.I recommend it
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I'm excited about this book after reading your review! Thanks for the thorough recommendation.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a lovely resource! I appreciate it when authors take the time for research, as it makes for a much more credible read. Thank you for the amazing review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite interesting and unique. I don't know that I've ever seen a book quite like this about the Bible. Sounds like it be good information for even those that have studied the Bible already. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a great resource.
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

This reader-friendly version of the Bible sounds great! Given that this is an accurate version, this would be a good book for starters.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I think this would be very useful for me. The Bible is quite a difficult text. I only understand what my pastor teaches me :D
This book seems like an excellent resource to help with home studying.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is a well researched book. Kudos to the author on that one. This as well, is a beautiful review. Thanks
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

This sounds like an excellent book. I would find this book definitely useful. The author seems to have a lot of knowledge. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's good that this book is well-researched and well-intentioned to be uplifting. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! Glad to hear the book was based on the bible and accurate. Sounds like the author did a great job on the book and it sounds like a great study guide. Your point of the answers would have been helpful is I'm sure something many people will wish there were there as well.
nasoro yusuf
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nasoro yusuf »

After reading the book I found it more interesting than I thought and moreover the book was based on a Bible
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have long since wanted to read the Bible, though I am not sure of I will ever accomplish this. This book sounds like an immensely helpful guide for that. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”