How to improve your sentence construction?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Eteru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eteru.html
Latest Review: Otherside by Aaron Dennis

How to improve your sentence construction?

Post by Eteru »

Can you lend some tips on improving your sentence construction? What are the important points that a writer must keep in mind? I do want to provide some best quality reviews, but I still lack in some aspects.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

You might find my post on the four types of sentences in the International Grammar section useful if you haven't already seen it. It may be more basic than what you are looking for.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ »

Hi, I found that with sentence composition, it's a bit like Occam's razor: the simplest solution is the most probable one. So, the easiest construction is probably going to convey your idea better, as it takes less time to wrap your head around it. That doesn't mean you can't have complex sentences. One thing I would look out for is the connectives in a sentence, because their role is to link parts of a sentence and sentences together.
Edwardsoi1213
Currently Reading: Real Principals Have No Class
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwardsoi1213.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Edwardsoi1213 »

Most people look for flashiest and most complicated sentences, I understand this due to our kind of work but the best and easiest way is to make it short and sweet which is quite a task because of the overthinking and re-checking the whole review but in my opinion its best not to overdo it.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

A general guideline I try to follow is to use simple and direct sentences to express main ideas. Supporting information sometimes calls for sentences that need additional support within them. For example, I might write this book makes a terrific argument for tolerance for my main idea. In the supporting information I might use a compound sentence to show two or three similar examples or a complex sentence for a hypothetical example. But always, I try to keep in the forefront the subject and verb of the clause no matter what kind of sentence I write.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Eteru
Currently Reading:

Post by Eteru »

jgraney8 wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 23:59 You might find my post on the four types of sentences in the International Grammar section useful if you haven't already seen it. It may be more basic than what you are looking for.
Thank you so much, I will surely check it out.
Eteru
Currently Reading:

Post by Eteru »

VandaQ wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 03:46 Hi, I found that with sentence composition, it's a bit like Occam's razor: the simplest solution is the most probable one. So, the easiest construction is probably going to convey your idea better, as it takes less time to wrap your head around it. That doesn't mean you can't have complex sentences. One thing I would look out for is the connectives in a sentence, because their role is to link parts of a sentence and sentences together.
Thank you for this! I'll keep this in mind.
Eteru
Currently Reading:

Post by Eteru »

Edwardsoi1213 wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 06:11 Most people look for flashiest and most complicated sentences, I understand this due to our kind of work but the best and easiest way is to make it short and sweet which is quite a task because of the overthinking and re-checking the whole review but in my opinion its best not to overdo it.
Thank you for your advice!
Eteru
Currently Reading:

Post by Eteru »

jgraney8 wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 19:56 A general guideline I try to follow is to use simple and direct sentences to express main ideas. Supporting information sometimes calls for sentences that need additional support within them. For example, I might write this book makes a terrific argument for tolerance for my main idea. In the supporting information I might use a compound sentence to show two or three similar examples or a complex sentence for a hypothetical example. But always, I try to keep in the forefront the subject and verb of the clause no matter what kind of sentence I write.
I tend to use complex sentences when writing, as I thought this would make my content more appealing to readers. However, my ideas might have been too complicated to understand. Well, I'll keep your advice in mind! Thank you so much.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Eteru wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 10:22
jgraney8 wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 19:56 A general guideline I try to follow is to use simple and direct sentences to express main ideas. Supporting information sometimes calls for sentences that need additional support within them. For example, I might write this book makes a terrific argument for tolerance for my main idea. In the supporting information, I might use a compound sentence to show two or three similar examples or a complex sentence for a hypothetical example. But always, I try to keep in the forefront the subject and verb of the clause no matter what kind of sentence I write.
I tend to use complex sentences when writing, as I thought this would make my content more appealing to readers. However, my ideas might have been too complicated to understand. Well, I'll keep your advice in mind! Thank you so much.
I agree with @jgraney8 that:
-Simplicity (but not to the point of being too simplistic) is a safer option; and,
-Other sentence structures are also useful.

Like you, I tend to write non-simple sentences for my reviews as well. Thus, based on what I've learned and experienced here in OnlineBookClub.org (OBC) and if you also prefer to stick to your personal writing style, I think the following may help:

A. Plan your review well; come up with a thought outline for your paragraphs. The following example is one of the many ways of doing that:

Paragraph 1:
-Introduction
-Brief summary
Paragraph 2:
-Rating for the book
-Summary of reasons for the rating
Paragraph 3:
-Reason 1: Plot, flow, and theme
Paragraph 4:
-Reason 2: Setting, characters, and point of view (POV)
Paragraph 5:
-Other required details to comply with the Review Team Guidelines (i.e. review-team/guidelines.php)
-Conclusion

B. To fill in each paragraph of the above sample:

1. Clearly identify your main and supporting sentences. For example, you could have the following in paragraph 3:
-Sentence 1: Main sentence
-Sentence 2: Your thoughts about the book's plot and examples to support your viewpoint
-Sentence 3: Your thoughts about the book's flow and examples to support your viewpoint
-Sentence 4: Your thoughts about the book's theme and examples to support your viewpoint
-Sentence 5: Summary of your paragraph's points

2. Use transition words to connect one thought to another (e.g. https://www.smart-words.org/linking-wor ... words.html). Be wary of common errors, e.g. using coordinating conjunctions when conjunctive adverbs are more acceptable as discussed in the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=92480.

3. Focus on "parallelism." The internet has a lot of references on how to do that (e.g. https://www.grammarly.com/blog/parallelism/) and practice exercises to test learning or existing knowledge (e.g. https://www.oupcanada.com/higher_educat ... elism.html).

4. Unless extremely necessary, limit:
-The number of sentences in a paragraph (but try to avoid having only one); and,
-The total number of words in the entire review (but ensure you've got the minimum required by the Guidelines, i.e. review-team/guidelines.php). I write lengthy reviews, too, but they don't seem to be too popular with some editors and other readers.

C. If your review outline is very obvious, I think the reader will still get the flow of your thoughts even if you use compound, complex or compound-complex sentences. (For others curious to know the differences between those sentence structure types, here's the link to @jgraney8's very helpful post: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=85430.)

D. Now that your paragraphs had been filled in, you may already focus on the "aesthetics" (along with editing and repeated proofreading). Use your creative touches to make your review less robotic unless it's deliberately meant to be stylistic (e.g. you're trying to capture the essence, tempo or tone of a fictional book on a robot in a portion of your review). I couldn't see anything in our current OBC Guidelines, which should prevent you from doing that yet.

Your online checker, thesaurus, dictionary, style guide, and other writing references will also help at this point because correct spelling and grammar will matter, too.

I hope this helps. However, as I believe in teamwork and what I've written are just my "subjective" viewpoints, which may or may not appeal to editors or other readers, I would also like to know what you and our other colleagues think.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Eteru
Currently Reading:

Post by Eteru »

Espie wrote: 28 Dec 2018, 21:14
Eteru wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 10:22
jgraney8 wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 19:56 A general guideline I try to follow is to use simple and direct sentences to express main ideas. Supporting information sometimes calls for sentences that need additional support within them. For example, I might write this book makes a terrific argument for tolerance for my main idea. In the supporting information, I might use a compound sentence to show two or three similar examples or a complex sentence for a hypothetical example. But always, I try to keep in the forefront the subject and verb of the clause no matter what kind of sentence I write.
I agree with @jgraney8 that:
-Simplicity (but not to the point of being too simplistic) is a safer option; and,
-Other sentence structures are also useful.

Like you, I tend to write non-simple sentences for my reviews as well. Thus, based on what I've learned and experienced here in OnlineBookClub.org (OBC) and if you also prefer to stick to your personal writing style, I think the following may help:

A. Plan your review well; come up with a thought outline for your paragraphs. The following example is one of the many ways of doing that:

Paragraph 1:
-Introduction
-Brief summary
Paragraph 2:
-Rating for the book
-Summary of reasons for the rating
Paragraph 3:
-Reason 1: Plot, flow, and theme
Paragraph 4:
-Reason 2: Setting, characters, and point of view (POV)
Paragraph 5:
-Other required details to comply with the Review Team Guidelines (i.e. review-team/guidelines.php)
-Conclusion

B. To fill in each paragraph of the above sample:

1. Clearly identify your main and supporting sentences. For example, you could have the following in paragraph 3:
-Sentence 1: Main sentence
-Sentence 2: Your thoughts about the book's plot and examples to support your viewpoint
-Sentence 3: Your thoughts about the book's flow and examples to support your viewpoint
-Sentence 4: Your thoughts about the book's theme and examples to support your viewpoint
-Sentence 5: Summary of your paragraph's points

2. Use transition words to connect one thought to another (e.g. https://www.smart-words.org/linking-wor ... words.html). Be wary of common errors, e.g. using coordinating conjunctions when conjunctive adverbs are more acceptable as discussed in the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=92480.

3. Focus on "parallelism." The internet has a lot of references on how to do that (e.g. https://www.grammarly.com/blog/parallelism/) and practice exercises to test learning or existing knowledge (e.g. https://www.oupcanada.com/higher_educat ... elism.html).

4. Unless extremely necessary, limit:
-The number of sentences in a paragraph (but try to avoid having only one); and,
-The total number of words in the entire review (but ensure you've got the minimum required by the Guidelines, i.e. review-team/guidelines.php). I write lengthy reviews, too, but they don't seem to be too popular with some editors and other readers.

C. If your review outline is very obvious, I think the reader will still get the flow of your thoughts even if you use compound, complex or compound-complex sentences. (For others curious to know the differences between those sentence structure types, here's the link to @jgraney8's very helpful post: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=85430.)

D. Now that your paragraphs had been filled in, you may already focus on the "aesthetics" (along with editing and repeated proofreading). Use your creative touches to make your review less robotic unless it's deliberately meant to be stylistic (e.g. you're trying to capture the essence, tempo or tone of a fictional book on a robot in a portion of your review). I couldn't see anything in our current OBC Guidelines, which should prevent you from doing that yet.

Your online checker, thesaurus, dictionary, style guide, and other writing references will also help at this point because correct spelling and grammar will matter, too.

I hope this helps. However, as I believe in teamwork and what I've written are just my "subjective" viewpoints, which may or may not appeal to editors or other readers, I would also like to know what you and our other colleagues think.
Your tips gave me so much idea. Thank you so much for your help, I truly appreciate it!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Eteru wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 11:13 Your tips gave me so much idea. Thank you so much for your help, I truly appreciate it!
You're welcome. A great New Year to all of us!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

you must read grammar in order to understand the different ways to connect phrases and build accurate sentences. in that, the flow of ideas in your writings will be accurate. You also have to read more about punctuation signs.
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I'm not the perfect sentence writer, but one thing I keep in mind is the audience or reading level. MS Word has a Flesch-Kincaid grade level option. If your review is hard to read, this will show in the Flesch-Kincaid level assigned to it. Profound writing is often hard to read because it uses specialized words and concepts, and in some cases, writers may resort to making something sound fancy to entice readers. Keeping this in mind, I have found, causes me to be careful to try to make sure that my sentences make sense to most readers who would read them. The written language naturally makes sense if you let it.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “International Grammar”