Review by Raja28 -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raja28
Currently Reading: R.I.P
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raja28.html
Latest Review: The Excoms by Brett Battles

Review by Raja28 -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Raja28 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider is an action-packed thriller, seemingly set in the USA of the near future, featuring the bold and beautiful Sonya McCall and the super-smart Trey Radisson as the protagonists. Sonya is running away from the bikers’ gang—and her boyfriend who is the leader of the gang—that she had been part of, after learning of the gang’s involvement in crimes far serious than mere robbery. Trey invents a cloaking device that, in the hands of unscrupulous people, could wreak havoc on earth and, upon realising this, he destroys his invention along with his dreams of fame and fortune. Chrome Falcon, an all-powerful terrorist organisation intent on world domination, wants Trey—and his invention—so bad that it leaves a trail of death and destruction in his pursuit. By chance—or by divine intervention—Trey meets Sonya while he is almost cornered by the terrorists and they unite in their fight to save America, and the world, from the devious designs of Chrome Falcon.

Schneider has stuffed this novel with a lot of action, with chases and fights and explosions following one another ceaselessly. The background stories of Sonya and Trey have been built well, making the characters quite familiar to the reader. The author has made an effort to leave no loose ends in the story and has succeeded in doing so. The narration of the action sequences has been done meticulously, bringing the scenes to life. Surprisingly, themes of Christianity and finding God have been woven into the story, which I found quite unusual considering the genre. The author has also tried to emphasise on the values of family, patriotism and humanity.

Though the story is quite engaging, the writing has a lot left to be desired. The major problem I had is with the unrealistic dialogues as nobody in the real world talks the way people talk in much of this novel. The same goes for the monologues, or reflections, the characters have with themselves, which feel downright ridiculous. In his effort to be funny, the author has diluted the essence of this supposed action thriller with unnecessary interludes of jokes and funny poems. Almost every character in this novel tries to be funny, which is not funny at all. For a ruthless terrorist outfit having tremendous power and a will to subjugate the world, Chrome Falcon is made to look like a bunch of incompetent maniacs with a really weird sense of humour.

The protagonists’ finding of God and their conversion from their godless ways is rather abrupt, and the inclusion of this Christian theme did not appeal to me much. There is a lot of violence and some swear words in this novel which may repel people with certain sensibilities. Also, some may find parts of this book racist and against people of heavier stature.

In spite of having a decent plot, the poor execution has rendered Chrome Mountain with double the number of pages delivering only half the fun intended by the author. For this reason, I would rate this novel 2 out of 4 stars and would recommend it to people who are willing to pardon the cheesy dialogues while enjoying the fast-paced action.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Raja28's review? Post a comment saying so!
ekwe1
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ekwe1 »

nice this book teachs many things
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

The internal monologues reminded me of the old horror movies where the characters would deliver those long-winded, self-important speeches. Once I made that connection, I actually put aside my own disbelief and had a good chuckle at those internal bits.
Raja28

Post by Raja28 »

jjmainor wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 22:11 The internal monologues reminded me of the old horror movies where the characters would deliver those long-winded, self-important speeches. Once I made that connection, I actually put aside my own disbelief and had a good chuckle at those internal bits.
Yes, your simile is spot on! My problem is with having to chuckle while reading an action thriller...
Raja28

Post by Raja28 »

ekwe1 wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 15:26 nice this book teachs many things
I agree. Each book, however it may be, teaches something :D
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

Sounds good because of the action-packed story, but, too bad that the author tried too much for it to be funny.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”