Review by KFree_Reads -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by KFree_Reads -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 3" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After reading Heartaches 2, I was very reluctant to continue with the series but curiosity got the better of me. Besides, the sequel ended with quite a cliffhanger and the story climaxed to one huge web leaving me with so many questions and a thirst to know how the series would end. Hence, Heartaches 3, the third and final book in the Bad Boy Vibes Series by H.M Irwing became a top priority in my bookshelf. Was I disappointed once again? Not entirely. Heartaches 3 quickly throws you back into an intense and webby plot. Book three intensifies the love triangle with Anna in the middle of it all. Anna must decide who will win her heart. Will Rafe remain the love of her life or will she finally escape all Prestons?

The love triangle aspect of the book really excited me. I could sense Anna's confusion and how her complicated past perpetuated her confusion. Anna became a very likable character and as I continued to read she even became a real person for me as well. I was really pulled deeper into the story and the book became a page-turner for the most part. I definitely admire and laud the author for the work that was put into character development, particularly where Anna is concerned. I also liked how the back stories of each character were integrated into the plot.

Amidst a few modern-day erotica clichés, Heartaches 3 was an easy read. I liked that the author included some profound quotes. They were a few that I liked but I really loved this one:
But the dark is not limited to the night
Heartaches 3 is primarily advertised as a romance novel; however, this series is not for the faint of heart. Like the rest of the books in the series, Heartaches 3 continues to discuss hurt, trauma, rape and other topics that are not very easy to talk about. In a nutshell, Heartaches 3 is pretty intense!

Although Heartaches 3 was a far more enjoyable read than the prequel, there were a few things that I did not quite like. I did not like the way author switched perspectives of each character in the chapters. Although the book was written in the third person, I found it difficult at times to understand whose perspective I was reading. I would have preferred if the chapters were committed to one character so that I could have understood their thought patterns much better. This writing style had somewhat of a whiplash effect on my reading experience.

Another drawback for me was the ending. This is purely my personal preference and does not mean that other readers may not be satisfied with the ending.However, the ending was a bit too predictable for me and I would have preferred an alternative one. I like when books, especially romance books, surprise me to the very end. Irwing did include a few surprises here and there in the plot but I found the ending left saying me " Well, I could have expected that". The ending is understandably a culmination of the sequence of events in the earlier books in the series. Nonetheless, readers who enjoy a good romance book, filled with obstacles and characters defying all odds, may not mind it at all.

Despite my slight disappointment in the ending, it would be too punitive of me to deduct two stars from Irwing's third book. I would rate Heartaches 3 3 out of 4 stars, albeit a few minor errors. Some sentences may appear to be grammatically incorrect but the book is set in Australia and thus there are several expressions that do not conform to American English. Overall, it was an enjoyable read and I am glad that I decided to give it a try. However, I would suggest reading the first two books to better understand the characters and the plot in general, in order to get total satisfaction from this series. Happy reading!

Heartaches 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KFree_Reads's review? Post a comment saying so!
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the detailed review. Will have to look at this trilogy
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

Yes, the ending was SO predictable, but enjoyable nonetheless, I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I have also reviewed this book. You can check it out if you like.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I don't think I will be reading this book any time soon.. but nice review.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

trajoe1206 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 21:37 Thanks for the detailed review. Will have to look at this trilogy
Thanks for stopping by! You can check it out and see if you like the series.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

Mouricia25 wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 03:24 I don't think I will be reading this book any time soon.. but nice review.
Thanks! Glad my review was a great read for you
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

The BookWorm Nagham wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 04:30 Yes, the ending was SO predictable, but enjoyable nonetheless, I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I have also reviewed this book. You can check it out if you like.
Tell me about it! But that's fine, it wouldn't be a satisfying romance if it didn't have a happy ending right? Thanks for dropping by! I'll definitely check out your review.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

I see that Anna has a competitor to Rafe's love in the person of none other than the superior officer of Rafe himself. And as such, I find a little displeasure in the character of Rafe being drawn to such unnatural love as homosexuality. Thanks to your fine review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a nice review. Thanks for it. Sorry for the ups and downs in the book. It is true that switching the narration between different characters makes the book harder to understand. I am not sure whether I will read this or not taking into consideration how book 2 was.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

Roggyrus wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 18:29 I see that Anna has a competitor to Rafe's love in the person of none other than the superior officer of Rafe himself. And as such, I find a little displeasure in the character of Rafe being drawn to such unnatural love as homosexuality. Thanks to your fine review.
Thanks for stopping by. It's always disheartening when characters do not develop in a book the way we would want them to.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

Kibetious wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 22:55 This is a nice review. Thanks for it. Sorry for the ups and downs in the book. It is true that switching the narration between different characters makes the book harder to understand. I am not sure whether I will read this or not taking into consideration how book 2 was.
Thanks! I appreciate you reading my review. I was very reluctant to continue in the series but the cliffhanger in book 2 actually made me want to read book 3. Who knows curiosity might win in your case as it did in mine lol
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The dark romance in the trilogy make me hesitate to pick this one up, but i'm glad you enjoyed it. Great review though.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Michael Gambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-gambo.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis

Post by Michael Gambo »

To fully grasp the impact of this review, one must have delved into the preceding sequel or at least read a review of it. It's challenging to get a clear glimpse of the storyline here.
I believe in something greater than myself.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”