Review by Kibetious -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review by Kibetious -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is always rare to find a story in which a villain is transformed into a likable character. This is what happens in McDowell. The novel was written by William H. Coles. McDowell falls under the genre of other fiction. The book is about three hundred and forty-seven pages and is divided into two parts. Each part contains thirty-six chapters. The author, William, has written other books and won several awards like the Flannery O'Connor Award for Short Fiction.

The story begins with a prologue describing a decent from a hike in the mountain. Hiram leaves Woolf, a hiking partner, to die and takes his remaining oxygen supply and attaches it to his own pack. Hiram is the only survivor and so he is determined to climb every peak above 8,000 meters in Nepal. Hiram is a renowned surgeon. He has been the regent to the board of directors of the International College of Surgeons. He is unsatisfied with this achievement. His sole aim is to become the president of the International College as it would grant him the authority he needed. He cheats his way to the top. However, he fails to honor a promise he made to Michael O’Leary, a key member of the college’s board of governors’ executive committee. This is where trouble starts brewing. Will Hiram continue being president? What will become of his family?

The whole book was filled with ups and downs. One of the events that ultimately altered the course of the story was a mass school murder executed by Jeremy, Hiram’s grandson. This was apparently a sign of parental neglect since Jeremy’s father overlooked the warning signs that were evident. I had not seen this coming. This led to Hiram’s arrest after he assisted the suicide of Jeremy. The way the other events in the story were connected hatched a nice plot that was easy to follow. The characters were also extensively developed. What I enjoyed most in the story was Hiram’s transformation. At the beginning of the story, throughout the first part, I really disliked him. He was indifferent to other people’s feelings thus never cared about his third wife, Carole. However, at the end of the story, he was a different person. He had changed completely and was the complete opposite of who he was at the start.

The book was intriguing and memorable. However, it also raised concerns on some issues that would demand attention, like the issue of children playing violent video games. Is it time that the society began to look into this? It was clear enough that Jeremy had been playing these games frequently. He became cruel and merciless. The other one was the need for balanced and objective journalism and not one that is spin in favor of a certain person. It is true the mainstream media is a powerful tool. Therefore, there is a need for objective journalism.

I enjoyed reading this book. I was challenged by a question that seemed to provoke the genuine intention behind philanthropic efforts. The question was, ‘How many times a day do we do things for others that are really for our own pleasure and advancement?’This is what I believe can be applied before anyone does anything whose outward appearance is to benefit others. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book was professionally edited. I recommend it to those who like fiction stories. It will appeal most to readers who love adventures and stories dealing with thought-provoking subjects.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Kibetious's review? Post a comment saying so!
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

A good observation there about video games. The goal is usually to totally annihilate the enemy. I see how this could harden a child's outlook to perceived enemies. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Thought provoking review. Thanks.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I also noticed the effects of video games on Jeremy when I reviewed this book. Yes, Hiram was despicable at first. He got the redemption at the end of the story, though. Thanks for the very well-written review.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Cotwani wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 01:01 A good observation there about video games. The goal is usually to totally annihilate the enemy. I see how this could harden a child's outlook to perceived enemies. Great review!
True about the video games. Thanks for the reply.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I didn't like this book as much as you did. But you wrote a good review!
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

teacherjh wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 22:30 Thought provoking review. Thanks.
This is true. Thanks for passing by and dropping a reply. Grateful.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Dael Reader wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 10:34 I didn't like this book as much as you did. But you wrote a good review!
Thanks for the comment. I did like it a lot, especially the second part.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Dolor wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 21:02 I also noticed the effects of video games on Jeremy when I reviewed this book. Yes, Hiram was despicable at first. He got the redemption at the end of the story, though. Thanks for the very well-written review.
Very true, about the video games and Hiram as well. I had not anticipated that his end would be the way it was. Thanks for the reply.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Your review is great. I have to agree with you about the points you highlighted in your review regarding video games and what we do for others for our pleasure. Thanks for the interesting review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Honestly, it's one of the books that I graciously enjoyed the most. Thank you for bringing up old memories back from your review. It's a good one!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

A good and thorough review. Popularity of violent games is really something that should be checked. Thumbs up for a good review👍👍
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like your review! You brought up some great book. The book made me think about certain issues too.
:tiphat:
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 03:38 Your review is great. I have to agree with you about the points you highlighted in your review regarding video games and what we do for others for our pleasure. Thanks for the interesting review.
Thanks a lot for seeing the point about the video games. I'm grateful for the reply too.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Zimall wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 07:49 A good and thorough review. Popularity of violent games is really something that should be checked. Thumbs up for a good review👍👍
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that you also have seen the need for the video games to be under some control.
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”