Official Review: Shooting the Breeze with Baby Boomer Stars

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Shooting the Breeze with Baby Boomer Stars

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shooting the Breeze with Baby Boomer Stars" by Torchy Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you a Baby Boomer? Do you ever wonder what happened to the stars from The Waltons, The Mickey Mouse Club or Laverne and Shirley? If so, you'll probably want to get this book while the getting is good.

Shooting the Breeze with Baby Boomer Stars contains snippets of interviews with famous stars from the 50s and 60s. From the Mouseketeers to the Beaver to Timmy from Lassie, I guarantee there'll be someone in here that you will recognize. For the full interviews, you'll want to check out www.babyboomerstalkradio.com. This book is more focused on what the star is doing now along with perhaps one or two choice memories from their days as a star. Of course, most of them also talk about how they got started in the business in the first place.

I admit that, perhaps, I was a bit young for this book as most of these shows I caught only in re-runs. However, I still recognized most of the stars and enjoyed getting to know them a bit better. There were so many great actors and actresses in this book that it's hard for me to choose a favorite. One of the interviews I enjoyed the most was of Angela Cartwright of Lost in Space fame. However, I know her better as Brigitta Von Trapp from The Sound of Music. Each year she leads a private tour through Salzburg where she recalls memories from her days on the set. Boy, would I like to be a part of THAT tour!

One of the things that I appreciated about this book was the links in the table of contents. If you are only interested in specific people, you can simply click on their names to view their interviews. It is not necessary to read the book front to back. It's also organized well and has pictures of each person in case you only recognize their face.

However, it seems that the author has forgone the requisite proofreading. I found 10 errors easily within the first 7% of the book. These consisted of incorrect words, missing punctuation and run-on sentences. One such error-laden sentence follows. "Solari's one-year contract as a Mouseketeer with Disney was quickly over which he had no control." For the most part, the book was still readable and enjoyable. Nevertheless, the errors were abundant.

Overall, Shooting the Breeze with Baby Boomer Stars warrants a 3 out of 4 star rating. The tidbits from these stars of old are entertaining and nostalgic, but the editing could use quite a bit of work. I recommend this to anyone that enjoys these classic TV shows or learning more about "show business."

Shooting the Breeze with Baby Boomer Stars
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a fun book to look through. Thank you for the website. I was born in the 80's but hopefully there is someone that I recognize. Great review!
:tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sounds like an interesting read, and I enjoyed your review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 00:00 Sounds like a fun book to look through. Thank you for the website. I was born in the 80's but hopefully there is someone that I recognize. Great review!
I was born in the 80s, too. I still recognized several of these people. It's interesting to at least look through. Thanks. :)
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 07:18 Sounds like an interesting read, and I enjoyed your review.
Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This looks like an engaging book. However, I don't think I'll be reading this one. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

T_stone wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 10:05 This looks like an engaging book. However, I don't think I'll be reading this one. Thanks for the review
I understand. It's definitely not for everyone. Thanks for commenting, though.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I watched all those shows as reruns as a kid. This could be a fun read.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

teacherjh wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 11:35 I watched all those shows as reruns as a kid. This could be a fun read.
Yes! I did too! It was interesting learning about the stars for sure. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the review; it does seem like a fun read, but it is a little old for me.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

gen_g wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 10:58 Thank you for the review; it does seem like a fun read, but it is a little old for me.
I understand. :) Thanks for commenting, though.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I have limited curiosity when it comes to celebrity goings-on, especially if the celebrity is not currently active in show biz. Add in the prevalent errors and I think I'll pass on this one. Thank you for the lovely review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

SABRADLEY wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 12:12 I have limited curiosity when it comes to celebrity goings-on, especially if the celebrity is not currently active in show biz. Add in the prevalent errors and I think I'll pass on this one. Thank you for the lovely review.
I completely understand. I'm kind of the opposite. I like to know what happened to them once they left the business. :)
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I almost reviewed this one, but after reading the sample I realized that I hadn’t seen some of the shows due to being too young, and those I had were in rerun form. Too bad about the errors because it looks to be a good one!
Everything happens for a reason...
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

cpru68 wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 14:48 I almost reviewed this one, but after reading the sample I realized that I hadn’t seen some of the shows due to being too young, and those I had were in rerun form. Too bad about the errors because it looks to be a good one!
Yes, I mostly saw them in re-runs, too. I wish someone would write a book like this about the child stars from the 80s. Of course, I haven't looked for it, so maybe they have.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”