Official Review: Pain Awaits by SB Shine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Pain Awaits by SB Shine

Post by lesler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pain Awaits" by SB Shine.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Pain Awaits by SB Shine is the fascinating look at our country's problems and a simple step-by-step guide on how to solve each of those problems. An educated economist, Shine divides the book into easy to follow categories, first starting with financial turmoil, then security, thirdly saving the US economy, and finishing with a plan of specific changes that if made could make this country run better. All of the ideas are rational and are not necessarily new, but the action steps listed to remedy these issues are fresh and reasonable.

The author provides a detailed history of each specific issue, and the book is well thought out. At least one of the topics tackled are destined to appeal to every reader, if not multiple sections. From rebuilding this nation's infrastructure to reducing foreign aid, to even including a new tax plan, the author does an excellent job first recognizing then solving the problems that face our country today.

I enjoyed this book and liked the author's writing style. Being somewhat educated myself on the country's affairs, the author does such a good job being specifying detailed numbers involved in the issues that I feel much more informed than I had before reading this book. As an educator interested in how our public education system works, I felt the author's ideas were well researched and included reasonable solutions. These plans are easier said than done, but all it would take is one high ranking official in our country's political system or well-regarded economist to entertain these ideas to start the wheel in motion.

I felt this book was well researched but was disturbed by the author's sources. Among the credible books and articles, the author researched heavily using Wikipedia. Being an academic myself, I couldn't get past this error in judgment from the author. I understand Wikipedia is a wealth of wonderful information, but I have been taught from a young age that you cannot cite a source that can be modified without verification by anonymous sources on the Internet. I use Wikipedia myself to gain knowledge on many subjects, but I would not cite it in an academic paper.

I give Pain Awaits 3 out of 4 stars, for its interesting subject material, excellent writing flow, and questionable use of sources. I recommend this book for any person trying to understand how our country came to be, with reasonable solutions to our growing issues.

Pain Awaits
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Good point about the Wikipedia. Sounds like a very educational and interesting book. Great review!
:tiphat:
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

Citing wikipedia is a little suspect but it seems like it could be an informative book. I would like to read about his solutions. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I completely agree about Wikipedia. However, I think I could overlook that if the author has some good information and suggestions. I don't think I'm up for this one at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I don't think citing Wikipedia will stop me from learning from this book; to me it has saved me the stress of checking Wikipedia myself. This is a very educative book filled with plenty information. Will check this out soon. Thank you for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

A book with a simple step-by-step guide on how to solve the US problems is a must read. Hopefully the US citizens will get a glimpse of this book and put it to good use. Nice review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”