Official Review: Points of View - The Weapons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: Points of View - The Weapons

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Points of View - The Weapons" by Tony Thorne MBE.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Weapons is the second book in the series, Points of View, by Tony Thorne MBE. The protagonist of the story is Horace Mayberry. Horace is a teenager who lost his eyesight in his early teenage years. He later got a new set of eyes. However, his new eyes were bionic. Professor Oscar Freeman developed the eyes in his research laboratory. Due to the highly advanced nanotechnology that Oscar used to develop the eyes, they possessed more than the ability to see. They were a form of government weapons. Did this mean that the teenager would become a secret government agent? What would a teenager’s work be in a government agency? Would Horace perform his duties professionally? Would he be able to meet all the qualifications for an agent serving in a top-secret government agency?

The teenager’s abilities were put to the test when a terrorist group broke into the professor’s laboratory and stole prototypes of a new weapon that he was working on. The book revolves around the involvement of Captain Horace Mayberry, the teenager, in recovering the stolen weapons.

I loved several aspects of the book. The author did an amazing job with the choice of and development of characters. For instance, the protagonist of the story is a teenager who takes on huge tasks in a special unit of the government. This made Horace a superhero. He helped to take down a terrorist group with his bravery coupled with the use of his special eyes. Another likable character was Aubrey Jackson. He worked closely with Horace in all the dangerous missions.

Through the recovery of the lost weapons, the author gives the reader a picturesque aerial view of parts of Europe. Horace, who lived in Kensington, got a chance to travel to other parts of England and Europe. The countries that Horace and his team went to in their search include Scotland, France, and Austria. Austria’s features i.e., mountains, valleys, and the dozens of old castles made it the most beautiful.

The only part of the author’s writing that did not meet my expectations was the development of scenes. During the recovery missions, the author makes the encounter with the terrorist group members very short. This is the part where I expected to get some real action and some sort of resistance from the terrorists. However, after Horace’s eyes did their magic, everything else seemed to be swept away quickly. I wished that the author could have added some meaningful twists and turns to spice up the scenes. If it were possible, I would give the book 3.5 stars. However, the author managed to keep me glued to the pages by creating a suspenseful story. Therefore, I give the book 4 out of 4 stars. Readers who love Sci-Fi books will really enjoy reading the book.

The book seems to have been professionally edited. The few errors that I came across while reading the book did not distract me from enjoying it. I look forward to reading the next book in the series to learn more about the special abilities of the professor’s weapons.

Points of View - The Weapons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Ooh! Horace gets bionic eyes? I could use a pair of those myself. Sounds like a pretty good book and definitely one that I would enjoy. I'll have to pick it up. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Sounds like a great sci-fi. Definitely worth checking out.
eddywiz9
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by eddywiz9 »

Thanks for the review, it seems interesting and will be focused on how nature reacts...I hope it will be expository as i'm getting ready to explore
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

The cover of this book is very 'eye-catching' (sorry) and it sounds like an interesting read. Great review!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This is a well thought storyline, and i wouldn't want to be left behind. I just have to read it.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I agree upon you rating this read 3.5 stars. If this read is epic and lively as it sounds the author should know to provide that rather than brush it off too soon. Thank you for pointing that out!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Had I been the author, I would have titled the book - The Bionic Eyes. It sounds more catchy to me! Anyway, the plot sounds riveting. I hope to read this one soon! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It seems like an interesting book for sci-fi readers. I don't enjoy sci-fi or most terrorist-conspiracy themed books, but I think many readers will find it interesting.
Your review is critical and engaging, thanks!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Bionic eyes. That's interesting. I'm curious about how he lost his eye sight. Great review!
:tiphat:
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This book sounds really cool and unique. I don't know if I will like the underdeveloped action scenes, but I am willing to risk it. Thanks for your review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It seems like the protagonist's "eyes" are special not just in the figurative sense but also in a literal kind of way. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! :tiphat:
I think I would like to read it! A cross between spy kids / and bionic man (just kidding, sounds original, and like a great book).
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Bionic eyes?! Now that is something to consider! I guess I would love to be a part of Horace's adventures. Thanks for the review, loved it!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Horace, the protagonist of the story is playing the role of a hero because instead of losing his eyes at an early age he is close to his missions and is trying to reach the destination of missions. When Horace got eyes developed in the laboratory by a doctor, he develops a power high than the looking power of a noram eyes. His eyes are now like a weapon so the book is named Points of View- The Weapons.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”