Official Review: This American Life Sef

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: This American Life Sef

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "This American Life Sef" by Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo, a Nigerian journalist and author, explores what life is like for the Africans living in America through a collection of engaging fictional stories in This American Life Sef.

Using humor and sarcasm, Okonkwo jolts the reader into reality regarding the real American life awaiting anyone leaving their mother country. For many Africans, living in the land of “the free and the brave” is more than alluring. However, even if the promise of a better future still stands, the culture shock that many African men experience makes them question their move. In the story, I Will Marry When I Want, Okonkwo investigates how roles change between men and women in the US when compared to what is the norm in Africa, specifically, Nigeria. Other important themes that feature in the stories include the feeling of estrangement, the loss of identity, the responsibility that the immigrant feels to return to their home and the loss of stature as an African man.

For me, the beauty of This American Life Sef is the writing style that is used. The stories are hilarious and engaging. The sarcasm used makes the accounts even more comical. In the included extract obtained from an interview with Sun Newspaper's Henry Akubuiro, Okonkwo tells the story of an African man who is afraid of unpacking a microwave that he purchased so that his wife does not ask him to warm his own food. The author continues to state, “If my friend comes to America, he will be a dead man walking. In America, his problem won't be a small matter like having to go and warm his food. He will find himself literally and figuratively pounding yam with pestle and mortar while carrying the baby on his back.”

Another great feature of the book is its presentation of reality as opposed to mere fantasy. The author appreciates the challenges that come with settling in a new culture and the impact the adjustments have on the immigrant. The characters are created to fully present these daunting differences that any African man has to get used to in the US. The author also has a knack for creating and presenting scenes that seem real. Many words and phrases from the author’s native language are used which ultimately add depth to the plots.

This American Life Sef is an African literal masterpiece. It is a must-read for readers interested in investigating the shocking reality that awaits African men while settling in the US. It is thoroughly captivating and also well-edited. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

This American Life Sef
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is an enthralling review. The book sounds humorous for sure and brings out the reality in a nice way. Having watched some Nollywood movies, I guess the culture shock sounds more than real. I would definitely love to read this.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can only imagine the culture shock when coming to America. I would love to read about that through someone else's eyes. This one sounds like a winner. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I'm loving this book already. As a Nigerian myself, I can imagine what his experience will be like. What a title this is!!! I'm definitely reading this one. Thank you for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I read the sample and found it excellent. It seems the American dream sometimes turns out to be a nightmare. But many still carry it in their hearts. The author of a book I recently reviewed calls America the "land with too many promises."
Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sirlimu01 »

It Is an interesting book for the African. The reader must by inpired. I GIVE 3 out 4. Both author and reviewer did great work. More grease to their elbows. I will love to go through it agan.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

This book is like an analysis of coming to America the film. It puts you in the shoes of an average person traveling to America for the first time. Loved the review. Looking forward to a sequel
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

This book and your review have taken me by surprise. I never expected to consider this book for reading when I selected your review. And yet, that's just what I'm doing. It sounds like this man has a gift for portraying, in a light-hearted way, the trials that so many immigrants face when changing countries and cultures. I looked and looked for a definition of the word 'Sef" but could find none. What does it mean, I wonder? Thanks for changing my mind, by the way!
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Traveling to and living in other countries changes so much about a person! Some ideas about life are clarified, others are challenged. This book sounds so good, like a funny and fascinating look at serious culture shock. I really enjoyed your review.
Arotiwebi-ojo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Arotiwebi-ojo »

Humour and sarcasm! I want more of humour and sarcasm. I really want to read this, being a Nigerian, I am really intrigued about life outside of our cultural milieu.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”