Who is the target audience?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Re: Who is the target audience?

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I think the target audience is everybody irrespective of whether the person is an overthinker or not. The extent to which one puts the advice to use is determined by choice.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

laurenolgine wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 07:53 The target audience is my husband!! As I read the intro of the book all I could think was "Wow! My husband needs to hear this." Taking responsibility for your own success and not blaming outside events is something a lot of people need to hear, my husband especially. I'm only half way through the book right now and at this point I don't think I am going to recommend it to him any longer. I think he would get bored with the personal stories. If the book were to be straight forward and direct, like the author discussed in the intro, then I would recommend it.
Well, now. You made me laugh about the target audience being your husband! I think you are right about the pace of the book being a little slow. The author talks about overthinking, and I wonder if he tried to overthink this book by adding so much of himself.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

I think that the author is hoping to reach as many people as possible. The target audience is probably readers in search of an effective way to better themselves.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

I think this book is really meant for everyone. It can help anyone who is unhappy with their life, and even help keep people who feel their life is going in the right direction on course. If you want more money, joy, self-confidence, or anything to make your life more fulfilling, this book is a down-to-earth guide to set you on the right path.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I personally felt that the beginning was just bait. As someone who can be classified as an "over thinker", his assertion just made me want to read the book in order to find out why I was not the target audience.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I think that the author, when he stated that this book was not for overthinkers, meant that if you overthink everything you will never finish the book. There is so much to think about in his book, that dwelling on one aspect will not enable you to get out and DO - which is the entire premise of the book.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I think the target audience is anyone who feels that their life is lacking in success. This could be in their personal life, romantic life, social life, work life, or anything else. I think it is also geared towards people who generally make excuses for the current position in life and who want to get out of their current funk.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I believe the book is aimed at people who want to change but lack the motivation to do so. There really isn't a certain age group that could read this book. It is meant for everyone that wants to change their life for the better and to quit saying "but".
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

The introduction for this one specifically points this one out and did confuse me a bit. It says that this book is not for everyone, but it is for you. I guess the meaning behind it was that if you chose to read this book thinking it could help you, then more than likely it can.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

The target audience is people who read self-help books! If any of these actually worked to definitively transform readers' lives, there wouldn't be a market anymore, now would there?
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

ViziVoir wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 19:28 The target audience is people who read self-help books! If any of these actually worked to definitively transform readers' lives, there wouldn't be a market anymore, now would there?
Yes! My point exactly.
It seems like the author intended it for anyone who would consider it. If you think it could help you, chances are it can!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

As far as I'm concerned the terjet audience is the person thats desired to learn and change, then move on with confidence.
David Koreas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-koreas.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by David Koreas »

I do not think the author targeted a specific audience. The book contents is good for persons of all ages except for young children who may have difficulty in mastering its language and content. This was a fantastic book.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I think it merely intends to mean that the target audience is someone who is most likely to be attracted in reading the book.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

a9436 wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 04:14 Who do you think this book is aimed at? Perhaps people with a desire to change, or people who need motivation to change? Is there a pattern as to who will benefit from the advice, or is it completely individual?

The author states that the book is, "not for everyone - but it is for you!" Yet, earlier pages tell me that as an, "overthinker," the advice is not likely to help me. Personally I find this contradictory, which in my opinion makes the author a little less credible. Perhaps the author is assuming that, "overthinkers," will have already put down the book, or perhaps it means that/ the book will help me, even if I do not believe it.

What do you think?
I agree with the author. The book benefits each as an individual. If you personalize the principles in the book and meditate on each you'll find something to cling on. We may not easily identify our weaknesses unless someone else helps us to identify. You get it?! And being told the truth may not always make us feel good.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”