Official Review: Model Marine by Sondra Sykes Meek

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Re: Official Review: Model Marine by Sondra Sykes Meek

Post by P Reefer »

This was quite a raving review, I' m glad that you enjoyed this book immensely and will unhesitantly recommend to others. Thanks for your review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Your review of this book has piqued my interest in it. It really looks interesting; I think I'll add it to my list of TBR books. It's a very engaging book and it's motivating. Thanks for the succinct review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

The plot didn't thrill me but I'm surprised by the way the author writes this book. I think it takes a really good writer to avoid confusion while writing back and forth in the story. I'm really happy you enjoyed it so much, I might not read this one but you made me admire the author.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

This book sounds incredibly well written. I think the writer did à wonderful jib of bring everything to life.
Enattah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Enattah »

Seems like a really interesting book, I will really love to read it and I love the cover design.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Molly Monroe enjoys acting on stage; her mother has had her in beauty pageants since she was a toddler. She and her best friend Beth are planning on attending the North Carolina School of the Arts together. Molly surprises everyone the summer after graduation, though, when she enters the Marine Corps.
Seems like Molly likes defying gender roles and she doesn't conform to what's expected of her. I love that and I think it makes for a very interesting main character.
Molly's story is told in flashes much as the pictures she takes with her camera. The author skillfully weaves the plot together going backward and forward in time at will. Rather than be confusing, this adds a hint of mystery as the reader pieces together what has happened. I was so enthralled with the glimpses of information I was getting that I couldn't stop reading until I assembled the whole picture. Ms. Meek does so well at letting the reader know who is speaking and giving clues about the time frame that at no point did I get lost.
Your description of how the story is told is amazing, not all reviewers pay attention to the way the plot is developed and I highly appreciate this insight.
I also appreciated the author's handling of military terms; as a civilian I often get bogged down by abbreviations, acronyms and slang. I didn't feel that way in Model Marine. The occasional unfamiliar term is mentioned, but the author leaves enough clues to understand what's happening without googling every other word. Thus, my focus was entirely on the story instead of on simply trying to figure out what was being said.

I totally agree! When authors use terms that arent of common knowledge or can't be easily deducted they should definitely explain them. I'm glad this doesn't happen in this book.
We're like gumbo, ya know? A unique dish, enriched by our diverse cultural influences, served together, to produce a most satisfying result.
Great quote!

Your review is brilliant, I love that you incorporated your personal experience with the book. Thanks!
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

Thank you for this stellar review! At first glance, I might not have given this book a closer look, but this review has wholly reeled me in. I’m a sucker for strong writing and a captivating storyline— and it sounds like I’ll definitely get that in this book!
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

Your review was fantastic! This book sounds extremely interesting and I believe that I will add this to my wish list! Not many books are written about females in the military so I am excited to read this one!
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

The book review rated Model Marine by Sondra Sykes Meek a solid 4 out of 4 stars. It is evident that the novel is highly captivating and well-written. Though the story is fictional, it is based on the experiences of the author as a marine officer. Molly Monroe is the protagonist in the novel who is a marine photographer and a model. The sample too was intriguing and clued that this is a must-read novel.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

It is really nice to see a book that depicts a woman in the military. I myself am a woman, and i myself was also in the Marine Corps. Speaking of which it is the Marine corps birthday today, so a great book for BOTD. I will definitely have to give this one a read. Thanks for the review.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Thank you for the review. While stories about war and marines often catch my attention, the focus of this one around a Combat Camera Marine drives me away from this book. However, this sounds like a very well constructed story for those seeking different approaches to war-like stories or tales about women and friendship in hostile environments.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

After reading your review, I think that I will read the book. Even though the story is told in flashes like pictures, it doesn't confuse the reader and adds mystery. The fact that you didn't even look for errors when reading the book, shows that the book was indeed captivating.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

This sounds like such a great book about military life with a unique perspective from a woman on the friendships you make and the lessons you learn in the Marines. I'm intrigued by the mystery, but I think I'm even more interested in the drama of the main character's personal life and the relationship she has with her mother. I hope they mended the rift.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

Sounds like a great book. I may end up reading it after all.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

This is a captivating and well-written review. I hope the book is as enjoyable. The plotting and story-line looks very plausible with a military background to boot. This novel should make for a compelling read. Congrats to the author on #BOTD
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”