Official Review: Spin by Tina Sayward

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Spin by Tina Sayward

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spin" by Tina Sayward.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spin is a moving and touching crime novel written by Tina Sayward

Lexi Howard is born into a wealthy family. Her parents spend most of their time making money and she is usually left in the care of her older brother Spin. Spin is overprotective of Lexi and he barely lets anyone come near his baby sister except for their kind, sensitive, and gentle neighbor, Cody McAlister. Having grown up together, Spin, Lexi, and Cody become best friends. That friendship is put to the test when Spin steps up to save Cody from an unthinkable fate one terrible day.

That incident binds them even closer. As they harbor a deep, dark secret between them, Lexi gets herself into something that nearly destroys her life. Spin and Cody, however, are there for her, and together, they help her get herself back on her feet. Just when Lexi thinks her life is getting pretty amazing, an abominable deed occurs, leaving someone savagely abused while another one brutally murdered. Now, Lexi feels all alone and with tremendous amount of guilt weighing her down. With her protector gone and a long-buried secret on the brink of being uncovered, she must muster enough courage to fight, and enough strength to see things through, not for herself but for the ones she loves.

Told in the first-person perspective of Lexi, this is a fast-paced and suspenseful book about family and friendship. It also features abuse, neglect, addiction, death, guilt, and a little court drama. It is relatively short but very substantial, and devoid of irrelevant details. It is an easy read with graphically portrayed scenes including those of violence and abuse. Characters are well-developed and are described through their actions and dialogues.

On one hand, the most important part of the book, for me, is the depiction of neglect by parents of wealthy children. The book illustrates how some parents easily disregard their children in favor of their work, and how this constant absence endanger their children and may even cost them their future.

On the other hand, the part of the book I like most is the characters’ display of weakness. It is very realistic. No matter how strong and determined a person is, he or she would feel like giving up at some point. For me, it is a sign of being human and is totally understandable.

Needless to say, I enjoy this book a lot. However, other readers may find the story too dark. Moreover, I find the courtroom scenes too short and less intense than I hope. I understand, though, that it is not the focus of the story. Also, the climax seems a little anticlimactic, while the ending feels a little rushed. Finally, I notice some errors within the entire book which are thankfully very few.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is touching, moving, and suspenseful. I recommend it to fans of crime and thriller novels. Some scenes of violence, abuse, and drug use, however, may not be suitable for young readers.

Spin
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

You keep us in such a suspense about what's happening to Lexie, her brother Spin and Cody that I found myself curious to read and learn more about it. I'm not so sure if the graphically portrayed scenes of abuse and violence wouldn't be too much for me, though. What I liked most is your observation on the realistic description of the characters' weakenesses. Thanks for a thought-provoking review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think it necessarily has to be wealthy parents that neglect their children. In any case, this sounds like a fascinating book. I wonder what the secret is and how Lexi gets out of her situation. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Temidayo Omowunmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temidayo-omowunmi.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Temidayo Omowunmi »

This is a great work, though touchy. Reading this review will surely make me read the book, hope I won't cry? I'm sort of emotional.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Sounds like a great read, but unfortunately for me, I won't be able to read through the graphic scenes. Thank you for your honest review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

cristinaro wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 07:37 You keep us in such a suspense about what's happening to Lexie, her brother Spin and Cody that I found myself curious to read and learn more about it. I'm not so sure if the graphically portrayed scenes of abuse and violence wouldn't be too much for me, though. What I liked most is your observation on the realistic description of the characters' weakenesses. Thanks for a thought-provoking review!
You're welcome. It's a touching book and a great eye-opener especially for parents. I hope you a chance to read it.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 08:38 I don't think it necessarily has to be wealthy parents that neglect their children. In any case, this sounds like a fascinating book. I wonder what the secret is and how Lexi gets out of her situation. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. True about the wealthy parents neglecting their children. All parents must not neglect their children for any reason. However, 'wealthy parents' are specified in this story so I thought I should mention it on the review. Thank you for the comment :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Temidayo Omowunmi wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 09:14 This is a great work, though touchy. Reading this review will surely make me read the book, hope I won't cry? I'm sort of emotional.
I'm not sure about the 'won't cry' part because you might :) I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

daydreaming reader wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 17:33 Sounds like a great read, but unfortunately for me, I won't be able to read through the graphic scenes. Thank you for your honest review.
You're welcome. I think the graphic scenes are necessary to make the story poignant and unforgettable.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

we all have experienced the vibes dysfunctional families project, either directly or indirectly. No book is ever to dark or graphic for me as their is always hidden knowledge in them all. Nice review
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

From what you describe, there seem to be a lot of ups and downs to this story, which I love. It is clearly the reason why this book is so gripping and eventful. These do sound like appealing characters and the way they interact with each other is interesting. I may just try out this book based on your recommendation. Thank you.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Franc93 wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 06:54 we all have experienced the vibes dysfunctional families project, either directly or indirectly. No book is ever to dark or graphic for me as their is always hidden knowledge in them all. Nice review
Thank you. You might enjoy reading this book.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

sonya01 wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 08:25 From what you describe, there seem to be a lot of ups and downs to this story, which I love. It is clearly the reason why this book is so gripping and eventful. These do sound like appealing characters and the way they interact with each other is interesting. I may just try out this book based on your recommendation. Thank you.
You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like an interesting thriller. That's good that you get to know the characters really well. Great review!
:tiphat:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 00:33 Sounds like an interesting thriller. That's good that you get to know the characters really well. Great review!
Thank you very much. I enjoyed the book a lot.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”