Review by lavellan -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Review by lavellan -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by lavellan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo’s Raven is the first installment in the Curse of Clansmen and Kings series written by Linnea Tanner. The novel mainly follows Catrin, a Celtic princess, and Marcellus, a Roman nobleman. Set in 24 A.D. in Britannica, the threat of Roman conquest looms over the various Celtic tribes. Adding to this fear is a prophecy that pertains to Catrin; she is destined to aid her half-brother, Marrock, in overthrowing their father, King Amren, and help the Romans in conquering the island. However, there is still hope for Catrin: the prophecy is malleable, and her druidess powers may be the key to her saving her homeland. To make matters more complicated, Catrin begins to fall in love with Marcellus after she is tasked when overseeing him. Will the pair be able to balance their budding relationship with their familial duties?

Tanner has done an excellent job of blending fantasy with historical fiction. I did not know much about Celtic or Roman culture, so it was fascinating to read about the differences and similarities between the two. I appreciated that the Celtics viewed women as equals and allowed for them to follow whatever lifepath they desired. This contrasted sharply with the highly patriarchal Roman society. Tanner took this one step forward and allowed for these differences to help color the dynamics between Catrin and Marcellus. I enjoyed that the pair did not automatically click and suffered from their own petty squabbles. For instance, Marcellus underestimates Catrin’s physical prowess on multiple occasions, giving Catrin the chance to best him and show him the truth worth of women. Additionally, the fantasy elements included in the novel had me engrossed and curious to learn more about the world Tanner crafted. For instance, the logistics of Catrin melding minds with the raven, the animal that her druidess powers allow her to connect with, were fascinating.

In terms of faults, there were a few minor issues that I had with the novel. One involved the off-handed mention of Catrin having a twin sister that died when she was a young girl. This popped up around the halfway point of the book and came up during one of Queen Rhiannon’s, Catrin’s mother, musings. The fact that Catrin had a twin sister was never discussed again. I’m not sure if this was just foreshadowing for future books in the series, but the off-handed mention left me confused as to the importance of this tidbit. Additionally, there were some instances where the characters seemed to act unreasonably just to advance the plot. Without giving away spoilers, I feel that Queen Rhiannon acted completely unreasonably and impulsively in a tense diplomatic situation, something that a woman of her stature and experience would never do.

Apollo’s Raven only contained a handful of errors. Most errors dealt with incorrect word or homonym usage. One example involved the use of “discretely” instead of “discreetly”.

I rate Apollo’s Raven 4 out of 4 stars. The novel was action-packed and expertly blended historical and fantasy elements. The errors I noted were minor and did not detract from my enjoyment of the novel. I would recommend the book to readers who enjoy Roman and Celtic culture. Additionally, romance fans will enjoy the love between Marcellus and Catrin. More sensitive readers may be put off by the mentions of sexual assault and gore.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like lavellan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Wa_hu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wa-hu.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Wa_hu »

Thanks for this review, it is very detailed and infornative. I'll be sure to read the book as soon as it becomes available to me.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

From this (and other reviews as well), this book sounds epic. The sheer number of details make my head whirl. I like how you mentioned that "the prophecy is malleable." It certainly gives another dimension to the story. Thanks for this review.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

This is the story of Rome and Celtic people. It contains political issues, government, war, and love relationship between Catrina and Marcellus. Good review. I enjoyed it
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An Epic Celtic tale revolving around forbidden love, intrigue, and magic is just my cup of tea.In fact, I have read the book and liked it. I agree that the author has done an excellent job of blending fantasy and historical fiction. I also wondered about the twin sister. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I read this book when it was book of the month in September, and your review hits the nail right on the head in regard to the author bringing to the forefront the Celtic culture. Like you, I had no knowledge of any of their history, and I found myself pleased to see that the women had freedoms to a certain extent. The arranged marriages were a bit tense! Your review makes me want to read it all over again because the book was so good. I think the twin sister was mentioned to be brought up in another book. The second one is out, but I haven’t read it as of yet. Great job on this review. It sounds like you enjoyed the book as much as I did!
Everything happens for a reason...
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

My favorite character is Catrin and her portrayal as an immature princess who has lost her heart for a Roman enemy who wants to conquer the Island of Celtic tribes, but she wants to protect her kingdom.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing Celtic fantasy book that opens an interesting series by Linnea Tanner. I enjoyed reading and reviewing the book and i rated it 4 out of 4 stars. The OnlineBookClub review was masterfully written and Congrats on being the BOTD.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Action combined with historical fiction is a winning combination. Thank you for the thorough and insightful review.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Though not a fan of historical fiction/fantasy, the book seems promising of an epic story of different kinds and levels of love. Congrats!
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Well written review. I like fantasy books, the druid part of it sounds good to me. Not too fond usually for a book to be that far back in time, but at least the women were treated equally. Again, great review! :tiphat:
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It is interesting to blend historical facts with fantasy. Marcellus, a Roman soldier, and Catrin, a Celtic princess are on two sides of a threatening situation and in love with each other. Catrin's ability to see through her raven's eyes, not only the present but also the future, adds an element of fantasy and danger.
The book is action-packed and interesting to read.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The mix of history with fantasy was tantalizing. I especially enjoyed the forbidden yet inescapable love between Catrin and Marcellus.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

This book has been the book of the day more than once as well as book of the month, and it is still not my cup of tea. I learned a little more about the book from your review though, so thank you.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
charity muthoka
Currently Reading: The Black Market
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by charity muthoka »

this book is very enjoyable I have really liked it.I learned very important things from the book.I really appreciate

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”