Official Review: Isn’t That Enough? by Patty Ihm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Isn’t That Enough? by Patty Ihm

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Isn’t That Enough?" by Patty Ihm.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Are they yours?"
"Why doesn't she live with her real parents?"
"I could never give them back."
"Don't you worry about how this will affect your other kids?"
These are several of the questions related to her experiences fostering children in her home that author Patty Ihm has been asked by curious strangers and addresses in her memoir Isn't That Enough?! Musings of Motherhood and the Meaning of Life.

Written as a collection of dated entries that are often complemented with personal photographs, the book features the author's reflections on the beauty as well as the challenges that can be found in everyday life as it relates to her family which includes foster children. "I have a journey to share; one of motherhood, blessings, trials, passion, and the gifts of each given day. Isn't that enough?" As a fan who listens to games on the radio, she jokingly likens her nine children to a baseball team. She introduces us one-by-one to her children which include those she has birthed, adopted, and currently fosters with her husband, Dan. The memoir delicately balances anecdotes of daily life in their farmhouse caring for her brood of children and chickens with the more serious issues that accompany life as a foster parent. The author addresses topics such as advocating for our children, autism, reactive attachment disorder, inpatient psychiatric care and having to turn away needy children when their home is at full capacity. She also candidly shares her bittersweet acceptance that sometimes love is not enough to heal, but that simply being there does make a difference.

When it comes to writing about her large family, the author is articulate and even poetic as she expresses her love, concerns, and devotion for them. Readers who are parents--especially those who have adopted or fostered children--will relate to her heartfelt concerns and desires for the well-being and emotional healing for those in her care. I was truly moved by her commitment and giving spirit to the children who have lived in her home for various reasons. I could relate to the soothing affect daily tasks such as gardening or little victories with the children seemed to bring when challenges became overwhelming, as well as her memories and reflections on her relationships with her grown children.

However, there were sections of the book I found hard to follow. The timeline of the dated journal-like entries is erratic, constantly jumping back and forth between 2014 to 2016. While the author often refers back to earlier seasons in her marriage, friendships, and parenting; that in itself isn't the issue. It's the constant volleying between the recent years which I found confusing. For example, the first entry is titled Beginnings and dated February 7, 2014. With the book's final entry dated January 24, 2016, the reader might expect a chronological progression. However, after the first several entries journal through the end of March 2014, the next entry suddenly jumps to January 6, 2016, continues in the same year for several entries and then suddenly reverts to 2015. This sporadic pattern persists throughout the book. Many of the entries dealt with specific issues or treatment related to the care of the foster children, and since the timing of the events was chronicled so haphazardly, I found it increasingly difficult to keep up with their progress which was frustrating. I can understand the desire to date the entries for personal reference. However, for a public audience, the book would flow more cohesively if the entries were better organized or included by topic alone, which would eliminate some of the confusion.

The book was professionally edited, and as I found the thought-provoking and eloquent reflections surpassed the problematic timeline, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who are interested in foster parenting and those who enjoy memoirs related to parenting. However, while the content is not explicit in nature, those who may be triggered by subjects related to abused or mentally ill children may prefer to pass on this one.

Isn’t That Enough?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

It is heartwarming to read of experiences like these, and I am in awe of these selfless people who open their homes and their hearts to foster children. Thanks for your comments on this book, which in spite of the timeline difficulties, sounds like it could be an enlightening and touching story.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sonya01 wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 01:58 It is heartwarming to read of experiences like these, and I am in awe of these selfless people who open their homes and their hearts to foster children. Thanks for your comments on this book, which in spite of the timeline difficulties, sounds like it could be an enlightening and touching story.
I agree. Thanks for your comment, Sonya.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It takes a special person to be a foster parent, so I always enjoy stories such as this. It really is too bad about the uncertain timeline. That can really ruin a book for me as I don't really know what's happening when. Still, it seems like a worthwhile and inspiring read. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 09:38 It takes a special person to be a foster parent, so I always enjoy stories such as this. It really is too bad about the uncertain timeline. That can really ruin a book for me as I don't really know what's happening when. Still, it seems like a worthwhile and inspiring read. Thanks.
Thanks for your comment.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Fostering must be one of the hardest and most challenging jobs a parent could do, and I take my hat off to those who love to do it. Great review, as usual, Cecilia!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 21:24 Fostering must be one of the hardest and most challenging jobs a parent could do, and I take my hat off to those who love to do it. Great review, as usual, Cecilia!
I think so, too. Thank you for your comment, Caylie.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

This sounds like and honest and heartwarming book on topics that more people need to consider--adoption and foster parenting. Thanks for such a detailed review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Dael Reader wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 08:58 This sounds like and honest and heartwarming book on topics that more people need to consider--adoption and foster parenting. Thanks for such a detailed review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

This seems like an educational sort of book for foster parents, and just people in general. It sounds quite heartwarming. Thank you for the great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sahar Majid wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 10:14 This seems like an educational sort of book for foster parents, and just people in general. It sounds quite heartwarming. Thank you for the great review!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Excellent review! (I picked up some pointers.)

This books sounds very interesting to me. I am a school counselor, and I see only the school side of troubled foster kids. Thanks for your thorough treatment of this book.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

These people that open their lives to foster children are truly saints. I loved your review - you really made the book come to life.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

living with children whom are not biologically yours can be challenging and i think this book could help one learn how to support fostered children even better. This is a great a book and worth reading
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 21:00 Excellent review! (I picked up some pointers.)

This books sounds very interesting to me. I am a school counselor, and I see only the school side of troubled foster kids. Thanks for your thorough treatment of this book.
I bet you would really enjoy this book. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”