Review by prospero360 -- The Surgeon's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review by prospero360 -- The Surgeon's Wife

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles is a dramatic story with an element of romance that centers around Mike Boudreaux, the chief of surgery at one of the largest hospitals in the country, his mentor and former professor during training, Clayton Otherson, and Clayton's beautiful wife, Catherine Otherson. The Surgeon's Wife starts off with Mike rescuing Clayton's patient after Clayton had failed to use the appropriate technique for the surgery. Clayton is full of pride and refuses to accept that his skills as a surgeon have dropped from where they once were, and he even goes as far as performing complicated surgeries for obese patients that he had little to no training for. This leaves Mike struggling to protect his mentor from colleagues that want Clayton's termination.

However, Clayton finally loses a patient due to his recklessness, which ends his career. He blames Mike for not protecting him and hates Mike even more when he finds out that Mike had been in an affair with his wife, Catherine. A lot of drama unfolds between Clayton and Catherine's divorce process, their strained relationship with their daughter, Melissa, and Mike's relationship with Catherine.

Picking up this book, I expected a lot of drama with some twists, and this book did not disappoint. I really enjoyed reading the first few chapters a lot probably because most of it was set in the hospital, and I got to learn a few medical terms. I enjoyed where the book highlighted how some health professionals put personal interest ahead of patient well being, and how some of them think their area of specialization is superior to others, which is very common in a real life hospital setting. The story is a bit short but it keeps moving and hardly slows down. The Surgeon's Wife is also a breath of fresh air with respect to editing compared to books I've read recently, it contained very few grammatical errors.

However, some parts of the book confused me, especially dialogues. It was hard to figure out who was speaking at certain times and this slowed my reading down a bit. I also did not like the development of the love story between Mike and Catherine. There were no hints of them falling in love and it happened too fast and unexpectedly. The scene where Mike and Catherine finally acknowledge their love for each other and act on it was also underwhelming. It was also hard to keep up with the time frame in this book, it would probably have helped if the author had separated unrelated scenes by a line or two for better clarity.

I would recommend The Surgeon's Wife to teenagers and adults who enjoy drama stories and a light read. There is an element of romance involved, and there is no graphic sexual or violent scenes, it is entirely appropriate for younger readers. I would have liked to rate the book 2.5 stars if the rating system allowed it, because of the difficulty to understand some dialogues and how rushed Mike and Catherine's love story felt. However, good character development and my attachment to some of the characters helped me make the decision to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars as opposed to 2 stars.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
Seun419
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Seun419 »

A romance story where the main character's romance is rushed is a NO for me.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I expect a lot of twists in this story.It seems to have an interesting plot.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I share the same opinion about the romance feeling rushed, and the build up being unconvincing. Thanks for the lovely review.
Please feel free to check out my review of the same book.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76321
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sounds like an interesting book. I don't like that the romance was rushed. I read a book like that and it just seemed a little unbelievable. Thanks for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I didn't know that this was the same author who wrote McDowell. I enjoyed that book so I think I'll try this one. Wonderful review!
:tiphat:
Olaoluwa_oso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaoluwa-oso.html
Latest Review: The Misadventures Of Jimmy Crookshank by D.R. Blair

Post by Olaoluwa_oso »

The plot seems interesting. I can just imagine the level of anger Clayton had towards Mike when he found out he slept with his wife, Catherine. I don't like betrayals and I feel it must have hurt him more than losing his job. Good review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”