Official Review: The Christmas Cats Care for the Bear

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Christmas Cats Care for the Bear

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Christmas Cats Care for the Bear" by Constance Corcoran Wilson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Christmas Cats are a group that enjoys helping other creatures of all types. Fred is a little bear who needs some help. You see, his hair is a bit unruly, and he's a little overweight. So, his peers aren't always kind to him. Will The Christmas Cats be able to help Fred?

The Christmas Cats Care for the Bear is for readers up to the 4th grade. The vocabulary might be too advanced for young ones just learning to read, but this is not a chapter book for older readers, either. This is part of a series of books about The Christmas Cats, but it also stands alone.

The illustrations are one of the most important aspects of a book for young readers as it helps to hold their attention. These illustrations were very cute and attention grabbing. They were very Christmas-centered with red and green borders as well as Christmas lights. It's clear that these were hand-drawn rather than computer-generated which is an absolute plus in my book.

The lesson of the story is one that even adults need a refresher on from time to time. The focus is getting along with others even when they are different than you are. Being kind to others no matter their looks is sometimes difficult.

The book has an ABCB rhyme scheme that it follows most of the way through the story. This is a clever device for helping those still struggling with reading to sound out difficult words on their own. Near the end, though, the rhyme scheme does stop abruptly when one of the characters introduces the reader to the other books about The Christmas Cats. I think it was fine to show the children the other books they could pick up, but there should have been more of a delineation between the end of the story and the introduction to other books in the series.

I also appreciated the extra material at the end of the story. There are some pages to color as well as a maze. The author even states that if the coloring pages are sent in, they will be added to their website. How fabulous would it be for children to see their work online? I think that's a wonderful touch.

There were some issues with the editing of the book, however. When it comes to children just learning to read, I've always stated that it's even more important to be grammatically correct with no typos. Sadly, this book is not quite up to par. There was unnecessary capitalization, extra punctuation (including an extra quotation mark) and incorrect comma usage. In addition, there was a very awkward sentence near the end. While I understand that the author did this purposely for rhyming, it is hard to understand.

All in all, The Christmas Cats Care for the Bear is a cute children's book with a great lesson to be learned. Due to the errors, though, I'm only able to rate it a 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to children who are past the learning to read stage but not yet ready for chapter books. In addition, it would be a great read aloud book for a classroom or library.

The Christmas Cats Care for the Bear
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a great book for kids to read right now. I'm also a sucker for cats. I like the theme behind it. I'm glad it has great illustrations. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I totally agree. Correct grammar in a children's book is vital. Because they are still learning to read, they are impressionable and could pick up bad habits. Maybe I'm reading too far into it. At least the drawings were amazing :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

It such a shame that the editing isn't on par because everything else sounds wonderful, especially the fact that the kiddies can send in their drawings and get some recognition for that. Still, I feel editing for a children's book needs to be 100% because their minds are so impressionable.
Great review and I love how thorough and informative you are!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I would love to see the hand-drawn illustrations. I also agree with you that children would be delighted to have their drawings posted online. On the whole, this sounds like a nice book for children if the editing errors were fixed. Thanks for a detailed review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I like the lessons this book brings up. However, the errors are disappointing. Young readers need proper grammar in their books to learn. Great review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 00:41 Sounds like a great book for kids to read right now. I'm also a sucker for cats. I like the theme behind it. I'm glad it has great illustrations. Thank you for the review!
The cats are quite cute. It would be a great one for discussion. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bianka Walter wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 01:36 I totally agree. Correct grammar in a children's book is vital. Because they are still learning to read, they are impressionable and could pick up bad habits. Maybe I'm reading too far into it. At least the drawings were amazing :)
That's the way I've always felt about children's books. Adults at least know the difference (most of the time.) Children don't have that advantage yet. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

JR Mercier wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 01:38 It such a shame that the editing isn't on par because everything else sounds wonderful, especially the fact that the kiddies can send in their drawings and get some recognition for that. Still, I feel editing for a children's book needs to be 100% because their minds are so impressionable.
Great review and I love how thorough and informative you are!
Thanks! Yes, I thought sending in the drawings was such a fabulous idea. But, I found more than 10 errors. In such a short book, that really is quite a lot.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

cristinaro wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 07:25 I would love to see the hand-drawn illustrations. I also agree with you that children would be delighted to have their drawings posted online. On the whole, this sounds like a nice book for children if the editing errors were fixed. Thanks for a detailed review!
I haven't seen many children's books where they can send in their drawings. That's so unique. It's just too bad about the errors. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

melissy370 wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 08:34 I like the lessons this book brings up. However, the errors are disappointing. Young readers need proper grammar in their books to learn. Great review.
Absolutely! Other than the capitalization errors, there were several errant quotation marks. That's definitely something that could easily be fixed.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Though this sounds like a really cute children's book, I agree completely about the importance of proper grammar. Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 09:15 Though this sounds like a really cute children's book, I agree completely about the importance of proper grammar. Great review!
Thanks! It was certainly cute enough. With the activities, it could be a real winner.
—Neil Gaiman
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Thank you very much for being very precise with the class of readers the book belongs to, to avoid confusion or boredom. I like the theme of care from the cats and I believe it's never too early/late to stamp upon young minds, the importance of being kind to others despite differences. Thanks for the detailed review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Vickie Noel wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 14:47 Thank you very much for being very precise with the class of readers the book belongs to, to avoid confusion or boredom. I like the theme of care from the cats and I believe it's never too early/late to stamp upon young minds, the importance of being kind to others despite differences. Thanks for the detailed review.
Thanks! I agree that we need to teach kindness early. This is definitely a cute book to do so.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Children's Books”