Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Inspirience: Meditation Unb...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Inspirience: Meditation Unb...

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Inspirience: Meditation Unbound" by Richard L Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can you guess why?

I often couldn't help but wonder, why would anyone mention something as deeply philosophical as this statement, mentioned below, in a young-adult animated T.v. series:

"The true mind can wither all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can toughen the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void, but always yields to purifying light." (Lion Turtle, Avatar - The Last Airbender)

True to the above statement, one needs to have an unyielding mind and a heart to toughen the poison of hatred, lies, and illusions. One can achieve this state of mind through meditation and pure qualities. As Richard L. Haight grossly highlights the importance and advantages of meditation in his book, he breached this paradigm using his personal experiences.

Richard L. Haight states:
AS I BEGIN, I MUST confess to an ulterior motive. Beyond teaching meditation, beyond all else, it is my goal to free the reader of the voice within that says, “I’m not ready for enlightenment.” Consider that every journey begins with a single step. If you take one step right now, then you are well on your way.
(Haight, p.1)

This read is inspiring, insightful, and moreover, a fruit-for-the-heart! Inspirience: Meditation Unbound isn't a read for everyone who doesn't have a keen interest in spirituality and wisdom. This read is a composition of 174 pages which consists of 17 chapters in total. Richard L. Haight uses a glossary to give an independent identity for a set of vocabulary he used, and an appendix, to introduce additional meditation practice methods. He is also a proud author to 3 other books: The Unbound Soul, The Psychedelic Path, and Dance of the Soul.

To me, this read is a treasure trove that deserves 4 out of 4 stars. The author provides spoon-feeding instructions for anyone who has an interest in developing their meditation process and spirituality. It was interesting to grasp and understand how he analyzed, implemented, and evaluated his experiences. The author concentrates on topics like science, religion, and spiritual involvement in meditation. I highly recommend Inspirience: Meditation Unbound to readers who are into self-discovery, and wisdom seekers.

In Part 1 of this read, The Foundations of Meditation, the author open up about the basic foundations he used, his elementary experiences, and successful approaches. In Part 2 of this read, The Basics of Unconditioned Meditation, the author subjects his reader to find comfort in meditation, he exaggerates the importance of mental discipline, the observation meditation, and the appreciation meditation. Part 3, Unbinding Conscience, the author explains the nature of conscience, the nature of defilements, types of conscience meditation methods, and self-reorganization. Part 4, Beyond the Self, the author relates the importance of understanding 'Isness', and transparent meditation.

I had strong reasons to choose this read as a traditional Buddhist practitioner. It provided an excellent brainstorming session, and I compared my meditation experiences with his. Even though his logic and reasoning are practically correct there were moments that I couldn't agree with him 100 percent, but in general, it's an accurate and a resourceful read. Certain statements in this read reminded me of my great teacher and his way of life.

The author claims that
most forms of meditation have Eastern religious practices, such as Buddhism, Taoism, Zen, and Yogic traditions, as their source. But the meditations taught in this book doesn't come from tradition. They revealed through my own lifelong, and personal exploration in meditation, absent a formal teacher. Any similarity to any other teachings may be an indication of a shared teacher, Isness.
(Haight, p.4) It's ironic that the author doesn't realize that his meditation experiences have a deep foothold on Buddhism. As a meditation practitioner, I'm very pleased by his performance, mostly for his self-accomplishments.

The language style used are straight and clear, and the language tone expresses the genuineness of his work. The author uses a pragmatic approach to boost the reader's comprehension ability. At times, he uses a conversational tone to engage the reader in his exploration. There were few typos and grammatical errors; nothing too bad that may damage the reader's reading experience. I admire the length of this philosophical read. If it's too long, it may throw the reader on the path of boredom and irritation. Some readers may find this read too philosophical, and for this reason, I wish to advise the reader to read-it-slow. This read is an asset which provides great advises, such as: keep it simple, keep it pure, to heal a poisonous heart.

Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I am glad you liked it that much! I agree that it seems like he does not realize his practices are similar to those of Buddhism. I love the quote from the Avatar series you included in the review. Thanks for the excellent review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sahani Nimandra

Yolimari wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 04:32 I am glad you liked it that much! I agree that it seems like he does not realize his practices are similar to those of Buddhism. I love the quote from the Avatar series you included in the review. Thanks for the excellent review!
Thank you so much for commenting dear! There is another fascinating quote in the Avatar series: to bend another's energy your own spirit should be unbendable otherwise you will be corrupt and destroyed.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not really into spiritual books. Yet, I must say that I enjoyed your well written review. Thanks for the well researched comprehensive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sahani Nimandra

Sushan wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 20:33 I am not really into spiritual books. Yet, I must say that I enjoyed your well written review. Thanks for the well researched comprehensive review 👍👍
Thank you for commenting!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I had strong reasons to choose this read as a traditional Buddhist practitioner. It provided an excellent brainstorming session, and I compared my meditation experiences with his. Even though his logic and reasoning are practically correct there were moments that I couldn't agree with him 100 percent, but in general, it's an accurate and a resourceful read. Certain statements in this read reminded me of my great teacher and his way of life.
you have explained the personal experiences of writer with the logic given by author. so thanks for a good review.
Sahani Nimandra

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 23:09
you have explained the personal experiences of writer with the logic given by author. so thanks for a good review.
Thank you for your observation, and commenting upon it!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like a great resource for those in need, and an enlightening and inspiring read as well. Thanks for the review!
Sahani Nimandra

gen_g wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 00:25 This seems like a great resource for those in need, and an enlightening and inspiring read as well. Thanks for the review!
It truly is. Thank you for commenting!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems like a really inspiring read, especially for those who are beginners in the art of meditation.
Also, I loved the way you started the review.

Thank you for the wonderful review.
Sahani Nimandra

Kajori50 wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 13:20 This seems like a really inspiring read, especially for those who are beginners in the art of meditation.
Also, I loved the way you started the review.

Thank you for the wonderful review.
Thank you for appreciating my work, and yes, it's a good book for the beginners.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! (no surprise there though!)
I don't like meditation - or many self-help books in general. But due to your pros of the book's content I'm not going to totally count it out either though. I probably should consider meditation as I have a tough time sleeping due to pain. The pain gets worse of course when I'm under stress so maybe I should try meditation.
Sahani Nimandra

fernsmom wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 17:41 Great review! (no surprise there though!)
I don't like meditation - or many self-help books in general. But due to your pros of the book's content I'm not going to totally count it out either though. I probably should consider meditation as I have a tough time sleeping due to pain. The pain gets worse of course when I'm under stress so maybe I should try meditation.
There is app called Insight meditation. Try checking that out it will help you. Thank you for commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Though I'm not into spriritual/religious books, I did enjoy your review. You seem to have a good grasp on exactly what the author is trying to convey. I've tried meditation in the past and found it, well...boring. Maybe I was doing it wrong though. I may look into it again as it's supposed to help with anxiety.Thanks for your review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Sahani Nimandra

Kelyn wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 23:48 Though I'm not into spriritual/religious books, I did enjoy your review. You seem to have a good grasp on exactly what the author is trying to convey. I've tried meditation in the past and found it, well...boring. Maybe I was doing it wrong though. I may look into it again as it's supposed to help with anxiety.Thanks for your review!
I'm glad you found my review resourceful. I'm a Buddhist meditation practitioner so I do know about this subject well. Thank you for commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”