Review by ea_anthony -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by ea_anthony -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by ea_anthony »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the superhero by R.D Base

Toni the Superhero is a children’s book about heroics, albeit every day simple heroics. The plot is filled with examples of Toni’s everyday heroism. You might be surprised at the extent and range of Toni’s powers; from jumping, running, swimming to rescuing animals, all these and more are sometimes all in a day’s job for Toni the superhero. From a cultural perspective and for those who care, Toni the superhero happens to be black; and not only that, the first black child superhero we have ever seen. Eat your hearts out; Falcon, Black Panther, Cyborg (Victor Stone) and even Frozone (of The Incredibles fame).

However, more importantly, this book is about positively reinforcing good behavior, especially for younger children – the target audience. Did R.D Base set out to create a positive role model in creating Toni the superhero? Whether or not, it seems she has succeeded, as it very likely that children will be influenced to want to perform their own everyday heroics.

R.D Base, should be commended, for undertaking such an overlooked challenge (getting young children interested in books), which she has greatly succeeded at. R.D Base has provided age appropriate visuals and simple word constructs to achieve this goal. All this, the simplicity, do not detract from the joy of flipping through the pages of this book. This work is filled with age appropriate illustrations, from the cover page to individual pages, which should appeal to children of all ages. The colours are bright and quite eye catching; this should be another plus to the book. The drawings are simple and quite easy to relate to.

Whatever R.D Base, the author set out to achieve, it seems she has succeeded at and more based on the buzz this book has created. Did Base make Toni black on purpose? Was this incidental? Or is it that Base simply imagined Toni as black from inception? Subsequent interviews by R.D Base will let us know. It must have also taken some courage to use mostly four-word sentences, even though the book target audiences as stated earlier are younger children.

The only downside is that the read is quite short and takes too little time to run or flip through, which is not unusual for books of this target audience. However, this can be remedied by giving us more volumes of Toni the Superhero. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book is well edited and as stated earlier, well-illustrated and age appropriate.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like ea_anthony's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

So "Toni the Superhero" loves veggies? It is really beginning to look like Toni the Superhero can do no wrong!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I love the phrase "everyday heroism." Perfect for Toni! May we all strive for the goal of being an everyday hero!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I do agree that the author quite succeeded in tackling the challenge of getting children of early years interested in reading with such a simple, eye-popping piece. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Dael Reader wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 07:09 I love the phrase "everyday heroism." Perfect for Toni! May we all strive for the goal of being an everyday hero!
I believe we all should, it will definitely make the world a better place to live in. Remember when firemen (everyday heroes) were all every kid aspired to.
Heroism especially of the everyday kind is actually selflessness, the world is suffering from a serious lack of this.
Kudos to all the everyday heroes remaining out there whether recognised or not.
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Vickie Noel wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 06:10 I do agree that the author quite succeeded in tackling the challenge of getting children of early years interested in reading with such a simple, eye-popping piece. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for dropping by and also for your kind words.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

What good is someone's stature, title, background or any other circumstance if such won't be used for what's good? Some people may have less, but they could still do more. Even the little things could matter, especially to those in whose lives we are indispensable and irreplaceable. Thank you for your succinct review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I reviewed this book too and I totally agree. It was about time we had more diversity in this kind of books. All kids need to feel represented and I do believe it matters. The message of the book is great for kids and I love how you named it "everyday heroism". Whether the author did all of it on purpose or not, this is a very inspiring book for young readers.
Thank you for your candid review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I think you hit the mark with the phrase "everyday heroism". This seems like a great read for kids.

Thank you for the great review.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

This seems like an excellent book for children. Everyday heroism is what is needed in today's world. Thanks for the insightful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”