Official Review: Warriors Eat Alphabet Soup

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Warriors Eat Alphabet Soup

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Warriors Eat Alphabet Soup" by Meredith Villano.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Childhood sicknesses are common when growing up, but what about when the sickness is something outside of the norm? Meredith Villano tackles this subject in her short children's book, Warriors Eat Alphabet Soup. In this tale, Judy starts feeling ill, and not even her mother's special chicken soup can make her feel better, so she has a stay of several months in the hospital before returning home. During her stay in the hospital, she manages to keep a positive outlook and make some friends.

I thought this was a cute little book that definitely meets its goal of "promoting empathy, reducing fear of sickness, aiding parents during a difficult time, and celebrating the joy of spending time with family and friends". I especially liked that it was written in first person because any sick children reading with this will be able to relate better to Judy's own words. It's written just as a child would talk, though I'm not sure how many children between the ages of 4-8 (its recommended age levels) would use words like "spontaneous". The very young may also need to be told that "gelatin" is more commonly called "jello".

This tale was illustrated by Nataly Vits, and I thought the pictures were excellent. They were colorful, eye-catching, and the perfect complement to the text. The text itself was nothing special, but I would have preferred if it had been just a little bigger. I imagine that a child reading or looking at the print version would have to hold it close to their face to take it all in. I also thought it was cute that when Judy was talking about words she makes out of soup, the font used for those words changed to look like alphabet soup letters. My favorite pictures, however, were of Judy and her friends. Judy has a gap between her two front tooth, which I found endearing and a great departure from the perfect-looking children featured in many kids' books. I also liked the diversity shown in Judy's friends, Maya, Mark, and Hillary. Even though there's nothing said about the children's races, I'm sure that just seeing the mix will have a positive subliminal effect on young minds who read this book.

Sadly, I did have a couple of minor nitpicks while reading. First, it seemed like there may have been a few little gaps in the story. For instance, page 6 starts off reading, "That spring my Mom started making her own special chicken soup". I actually went back a page while my mind asked, 'WHAT spring?' As an adult who already knew what this book was about, I was able to fill in the blanks, but I think that a child shouldn't have to; the whole meaning would be clearer with the addition of the words "that I got sick" after "spring". Likewise, at the end of the book, Judy talks about going home without having said that she felt better and that the doctor said she can go. It just seemed to come out of nowhere. Be that as it may, it could be an opportunity for the parent of an older child to have the child imagine what took place during those gaps. Second, Judy's specific illness isn't mentioned, and though it didn't take away from the story, I did wonder what she suffered from. I imagine that any children reading or hearing this would also ask what she was sick from. I wondered how old Judy was as well, but again, it wasn't really necessary to know that for the story to flow well.

This book appears to be professionally edited, though I did note a couple of minor comma issues. Therefore, despite my little pet peeves, I'm happy to award Warriors Eat Alphabet Soup 4 out of 4 stars. I heartily recommend this tale for young children suffering through ailments (minor or major) and parents of sick children. Even friends of ill children may learn some lessons from reading this.

Warriors Eat Alphabet Soup
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A good children's book that teaches love, affection and courage. This book is good for children during times of illnesses. I'd like to have a go at this book. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

The idea of writing a book specifically for, and about, sick kids is very touching. It's a wonderful idea to show them that they are not alone in their struggles and soon they'll recover. You give it a great review, so I'm sure the small inconsistencies are not too bad. Many thanks for this.
ekwe1
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ekwe1 »

Judy write well every children may like to read this book when they are sick to know the kind food they will eat
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Many children have to have hospital stays for one reason or another. It sounds like this would be a great book to help children going through something like that. Help them to know that they aren't alone. I do like the cover. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

T_stone wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 01:04 A good children's book that teaches love, affection and courage. This book is good for children during times of illnesses. I'd like to have a go at this book. Thanks for the review.
I hope you DO read it and enjoy it. Thanks for commenting.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

sonya01 wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 01:40 The idea of writing a book specifically for, and about, sick kids is very touching. It's a wonderful idea to show them that they are not alone in their struggles and soon they'll recover. You give it a great review, so I'm sure the small inconsistencies are not too bad. Many thanks for this.
Thank YOU so much for commenting.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

ekwe1 wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 05:55 Judy write well every children may like to read this book when they are sick to know the kind food they will eat
Thanks so much for your comment.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 08:28 Many children have to have hospital stays for one reason or another. It sounds like this would be a great book to help children going through something like that. Help them to know that they aren't alone. I do like the cover. Thanks for the review.
When she was still young, one of my daughter's in particular had a couple of hospital stays, and I think this book would have helped immensely. Thanks for commenting.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a good book. I think any child that is sick might enjoy it. I'm glad that the book has cute pictures. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sirlimu01 »

I reccommended this book to all Childred. To text of this nature will aid them to have pre-knowledge about sickness,care, love and affection. To me I love to read this kind of book. I apprecate the author and reviewer for doing work on this book. I rate it 4 out 4
Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sirlimu01 »

I reccommended this book to all Childred. To text of this nature will aid them to have pre-knowledge about sickness,care, love and affection. To me I love to read this kind of book. I appreciate the author and reviewer for doing work on this book. I rate it 4 out 4
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

A great book for children especially those who may be go through illness. It would console them and make them look at things from a positive side. Even this is not a book for me, thanks for the great review.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I also love that she has a gap between her teeth. It just goes that extra little bit to show that everyone is different.
This sounds like a fun book :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

As a former child who required lots of medical attention, I think there should be more books like this. I love the font-change you described and the diversity presented as so normal as to not be mentioned. I agree with you about the story gaps in a children's book. Another great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Children's Books”