Review by melissy370 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by melissy370 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by melissy370 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid is perhaps one of the most fascinating tales I have ever read. With accolades and awards from several festivals and contests, anyone who loves high fantasy stories will want to pick up this fast-paced adventure. I could make comparisons to Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia, but I feel The Crystilleries of Echoland is in a class of its own. I will play my hand early and say I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Will Cleary is an unusual twelve-year-old boy who lives in Alaska. He and his twin sister, Emily, disappeared when they were two. Their names joined countless others in a book called The Gravestone Book that listed everyone that has vanquished. Will inexplicably reappears with a wolf and a falcon as companions. With determination, Will sets out to find Emily and realizes he has to enter Echoland. Echoes, the residents of Echoland, are reflections of Sounds, those that live in Will’s domain. “Life begins twice. You see the Sounds. But you don‘t see their see-through reflections. They float away at birth.” After birth, the Echoes find their way to an underground place called Echoland. An eleven-day journey begins with Will partnering up with peculiar characters and dodging evil creatures called Fate Sealers. There is more at stake than Emily’s life, a kingdom is also in jeopardy.

Dew Pellucid took twelve years to conceptualize the world of Echoland. This is evident in the intricacies and details that are given throughout the story. She depicts a snowy land where crystal balls adorn every place imaginable, ice fairies floating around, sparkling streets, and buildings made of ice. There are beautiful illustrations throughout the book that aid in the visualization. I enjoyed exploring this whimsical, frigid world. The quirky personalities that Will engages with were even more entertaining. One of my favorites introduces himself this way: “Peter Patrick Peterson. Tongue twister by name, magician by fame. And this gorgeous mutt is Poudini. Houdini with a P…after the greatest magician ever. And after me. P for Peter Patrick Peterson. Get it?”

Amidst the epic adventure, Pellucid weaves in a moral lesson on diversity and acceptance. In Echoland, Sounds and Echoes don‘t mix. They forbid unions between the two and their children are called “mongrels.” The ones discriminated against realistically show anger and hopelessness. Expressed also is the pain and pressures that a mixed-race family has to endure. This was my favorite aspect of the story and I thought the author covered the subject creatively.

There was only one tiny error with a quotation mark. Otherwise, the editing was perfect. Pellucid delivers on an imaginative story full of mystery and intrigue. The elements of adventure and fantasy would appeal to the young and old who like to get lost in a new world.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like melissy370's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I could make comparisons to Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia, but I feel The Crystilleries of Echoland is in a class of its own.
Wow! It seems that the author has created a beautiful world which will immerse the readers completely. I am pinning it to my TR list. I do hope that the crystal balls are put to an imaginative use and not just delivered as a trite prop. Thanks for the review!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 00:40
I do hope that the crystal balls are put to an imaginative use and not just delivered as a trite prop.

The crystal balls do have purposes, so you won't be disappointed in that. I hope you get to read it soon. Thanks for commenting.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like the world building was well done. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The story seems intense, it reminded me of book called, Atlantis which has the same flow as this read. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Quite unique and totally different from my youngest son's book written when he was eleven is a lengthy and ever-evolving story he conceptualised with his older brother. I already couldn't help but be impressed with the level of detail they've been coming up with since around four years ago. Now, the author's twelve years' worth of work would definitely be something more than that, and it's evident that it paid off through all the accolades she garnered. Thank you for your interesting review of her piece.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
khing joseph
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by khing joseph »

i like this read, looks like a very captivating read. I love books that stimulate the mind and get my imagination pumping .
Anass007
2024 Reading Goal: 68
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Anass007 »

I could make comparisons to Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia, but I feel The Crystilleries of Echoland is in a class of its own.
NwaJ
Currently Reading:

Post by NwaJ »

I loved reading Harry Potter, this book sounds magical and captivating, I can't wait to get started on it
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Raju Chacko »

A good review. Thanks!
The highest purpose of art is to inspire. What else can you do? What else can you do for anyone but inspire them? -Bob Dylan
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I started this book yesterday and fired through it quickly. Now I have to read it again to see if I can link up some of the themes you are highlighting. Thanks, so much, for getting me to notice that it has a deeper message.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

I would like to get lost in a new world full of adventure and fantasy. Your review portrays a very interesting story. I can discern Dew pellucid's intriguing writing style and the never-ending imagination. I can't wait to read the book.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Interesting!

It would be fun to read about the origin of the title of the book.

Besides, the Grave stone is another feature I would like to know about.

Thank you this review.
Unreal_T_Reader
Currently Reading:

Post by Unreal_T_Reader »

Intriguing concept! Somehow the word shadow hunters come to mind. Being one to enjoy these genres I see this captivating me. Will be starting soon!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”