Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Post by Sirlimu01 »

Apart from mior editting problem, Hiram related charcter with his family and others , McDowell is well structured with storyline that spur mature reader thought and interest. I need more people to pick the text for euture references. I give it 4 over 4 again
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

It's a really well-written book (except the way the loose ends were wrapped up in a hurry). The writer has done a good job at creating an unlikable character and then made the reader root for him. Pretty skillful point-of-view changes as well.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

It's a great book. I wasn't so sure about it in the initial stages, but after reading the complete book my views completely changed. What I liked most about it is the character development. I'd have liked it more if it was more organized but regardless of that, I'd definitely recommend it to others.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I didn't like the blurb either. I think it was trying to grab attention but it really just sounded silly
Journalgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Journalgirl »

I almost didn't finish this book. I tried to get through. I'm so glad I did stick to it and finished. I didn't expect the ending to go the way it did. I liked it I much I'm considering buying a hard copy to pass to a friend.
4 1/2 stars :)
Emmaor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaor.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by Emmaor »

I have just finished reading this book and am about to submit my final review. I really enjoyed the storyline and liked the way that Coles introduces the main character, Hiram McDowell. At the beginning of the story, I didn't like Hiram very much but towards the end I couldn't help but feel a sense of compassion and even sympathy towards him. I think Coles is a great author and I look forward to reading some of his other titles.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 08:31 It's an enjoyable and an engaging book. Mr. Coles is a master in forming well-rounded characters. I definitely recommend McDowell and give it the perfect score.
I once read one of his novel and he did a good job of creating the pictures of his story in my mind. Guess will enjoy this too.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

edith38 wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 09:07 It's a really well-written book (except the way the loose ends were wrapped up in a hurry). The writer has done a good job at creating an unlikable character and then made the reader root for him. Pretty skillful point-of-view changes as well.
mmm so writers always like rushing their ending as if they in a hurry to start a fresh one. Hope that didnt affect the storyline?
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

To be sincere, i have not read the book but i am hoping to very soon. from the discussion i can tell its a great book and i cant wait to grab it.
inmod
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inmod.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by inmod »

I've finished reading the book and truthfully, I had a mixed opinion on McDowell. Definitely not a light reading but there were several insights from the book!
Ryankipz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Ryankipz »

I gave McDowell a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I felt that the book is really interesting, it has a lot of themes portrayed in different scenes by different characters. What I like least about the book is how Hiram was raising his family, I felt bad for the people he hurt but all in all, justice was served.i will recommend this book to everyone.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

NicholetH wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 12:04 I read the book and would recommend it to others. William H Coles is a great writer. Even tough I did not like the arrogant and selfish Hiram, I still enjoyed the story line. I gave it a 4 out of 4 stars.
I did not like Hiram either but that is actually one of my favorite aspects about this becase its very interesting how i can dislike someone so much and still want to see how ill end as the story progresses. it gives a nice touch of growth and redemption.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

I reviewed this book and the negatives and positives are 50/50. I found it interesting that the title character started out completely unlikable but as soon as he faced retribution, I began to sympathise with him. The novel is set in different places at different times and I like how details of the environment and atmosphere are described. However, I didn't like most of the conversations between the characters.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.
Loveli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loveli.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Loveli »

I thought this was a great a book with excellent writing. I enjoyed the story, as well as all the characters. All in all a great read for me. The ending was surprising but realistic as well.
Vlad Birlogeanu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlad-birlogeanu.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Vlad Birlogeanu »

I enjoyed McDowell's redemption story. I found the narrative gripping and packed with diversity which keeps you turning the pages. Would certainly recommend this book to crime-story fans.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”