Review by Callistus Ibenye -- The last Assassination

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Callistus Ibenye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-callistus-ibenye.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Review by Callistus Ibenye -- The last Assassination

Post by Callistus Ibenye »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The last Assassination" by James E Doucette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Assassination by James E Doucette is an action thriller novel that offers a fascinating and engaging story filled with suspense, mystery and action! 

Langley Control instructed Lieutenant Jesse Plotnick to take out a target in Aleppo, Syria, using a missile-loaded drone. Lieutenant Jesse Plotnick has identified the target, and with a few seconds left before impact the screen went blank. Without hesitation, Jesse Plotnick tried aborting the mission by pushing the destruct button, but it was too late. The drone's self-destruct feature has been compromised. The hellfire missile was locked to a new target. The missile struck Doctors without Borders hospital in Aleppo, and the hospital dissolved in a ball of fire. Langley accuses Lieutenant Jesse Plotnick of masterminding the attack. Jesse Plotnick claims the drone was hacked. Mark Plotnick, Jesse's father, a former agent of Israeli Intelligence Agency believes his son is innocent. So, he turns to an old friend from his Mossad days to help solve the mystery.

James E Doucette is an experienced writer. He is the author of The-Not-So-Great American Novel, Stealing Fire, and he made contributions to Witnesses to the Crucifixion by Ricky Carstensen.

The Last Assassination is a well-researched book. James Doucette has a working knowledge of the political, social and diplomatic landscapes of the countries mentioned in this book. This book's plot is brilliant and straightforward. The author introduced the plot early enough in the story. This book's plot does not include things that have no reason to be in it. The main characters, and the motivations behind their actions are credible. I like how the author used body language to make the characters look and act like real people. This book's dialogue works to advance the plot and do not contain unnecessary conversations. The story flows and is pleasant to read.

The quality of this book, the author's style, and the simple language he used in writing the story are reasons this book compare well with similar books.

While I enjoyed this book, I observed that the story's point of view changed several times between characters, and the narrative has no specific protagonist or antagonist.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. James E Doucette did an excellent literary work on this book. The story flows, and the plot is easy to follow.  I found no grammatical or spelling mistakes in this book. I recommend this book to adult readers who enjoy action thriller novels.

The last Assassination
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Callistus Ibenye's review? Post a comment saying so!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

You make a good point about there being no particular protagonist .. I hadn't thought of that when I read it, but it's probably why the plot felt a little disjointed to me. Very good book though.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Great review. I enjoyed the sample I read and have added this to my to read list
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

The shifts in perspective could indeed be distracting at times, and the lack of a clear protagonist or antagonist in the story is not so common in fictional work unlike in reality. Thank you for your succinct review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”