Review by evan1995muniz -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Review by evan1995muniz -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by evan1995muniz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Len Foley is currently my favorite children’s book writer. Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is not the first child’s book I have read by this author. I am familiar with his work and love the books he writes. He writes and illustrates all his children’s books himself. All his work is impressive, especially this one. With only 27 pages, Len Foley has impressed me once again. This book was inspired by Becky and Sofia who apparently have never-ending piles of socks. I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Long story short, this child’s book is about all the different smells of socks. While disgusting, I can see somewhat of a good important lesson for kids. I am always overanalyzing things, so whether the author meant to give off this impression I don’t know. I think this book will teach kids to be clean! Just from the creative cover alone, you can see that the child in this book is quite mortified at the different smells of his own socks. Each sock has their own weird smell. Without giving any spoilers away some socks are worse than the others.

A few of my favorite lines were, “Something stinks about this book. Go on and take a whiff.” I found this funny because I could imagine the number of kids that would try to smell the book just from this line on the first page. It cracked me up. When you read these books, you must think like a child, and if I were a child I would have definitely tried smelling the book. Even if it would only smell like paper. I showed this book to my sister-in-law, who is a mother of 2 children, and she was giggling through the whole thing.

Another of my favorite lines was, “Could it be the ‘ol pizza slice that marked my place as I read?” I found this one funny because, in the eyes of a child, I would have probably done the exact same thing. I used bread once myself when I had nothing else as a child. I could see a child using pizza. These lines are very clever and funny, and will most certainly entertain any child who may read this book. Although, it may not work out so well if you use pizza to mark your place because of the grease.

I certainly loved the way Len describes each sock with their own unique smell, such as “ostrich breath” and “dog slobber”. In the end, he inevitably washes his socks, that is what makes me think the lesson of the book is teaching kids to be clean and do your chores. The illustrations are very cute. This book will undoubtedly entertain thousands of children with its clever lines and use of colors. Len is so far one of the best children’s writers I have seen yet. Very original, I am impressed.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like evan1995muniz's review? Post a comment saying so!
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

The cover of this book looks super cute! It's good to know that the interiors are just as well drawn.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I love Len Foley, and I don't have kids! I study children's/adolescent/YA literature for a living, though, so I like to check out picture books. Foley's sense of humor is just silly, but I guess you can draw that humor from being around small children. Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”