Official Review: Milk From Sand by Leonila V. Montgomery

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: Milk From Sand by Leonila V. Montgomery

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Milk From Sand" by Leonila V. Montgomery.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Milk from Sand by Leonila V. Montgomery is a memoir about growing up in communist Russia between World War II and the early 1960s. The author, better known as Lilia, was two years old when the Nazis occupied Russia in 1941. Her parents, Vladimir and Maria, along with her oldest brother, Anatoly, joined the Resistance Movement. Lilia and her oldest sister, Svetlana, stayed with their grandparents in a remote village called Urovichy hiding from the Nazis. What follows is a first-hand account of how WWII and communism impacted the lives of Lilia and her family.

This memoir is an easy and fast-read consisting of 115 pages. I expected to experience sadness while reading a book full of anecdotes about growing up poor and in fear. To my surprise, Lilia infused her anecdotes with sagacity and levity. For example, Vladimir punished Lilia and her siblings after they killed a cat accidentally while sleeping. The punishment was reading books from her dad's library, which was full of books they were not supposed to have. According to the author, "Stalin had a policy that all these books should be burned, except the ones about Stalin and Lenin, and maybe Turgenev because he only wrote about nature." Lilia started to get a lot of ideas from the books. She planned a trip to the North Pole with her friends. She went to dig for treasure next to the railroad station, which had a severe consequence. More dangerous, Lilia developed a mind of her own.

The most significant aspect of this book is that it is a primary source about growing up in communist Russia. Many people to this day support communism without knowing how it was growing up and living in a society ruled by it. Lilia's book brings to the surface truths about this type of regime. I will give a few examples. Her father lost several jobs because he did things contrary to the standards of the local communist officials. Lilia went to Pioneer Camp, where kids only learned about Stalin and Lenin. While everyone was poor and hungry, the communist officials were rich and lived in ostentatious mansions. During her college years, Lilia and her classmates had to work in collective farms in extremely harsh conditions.

The issue I encountered with this book, however, is that it needs another editorial revision. I found more than ten grammatical mistakes. Other than that, the book is a valuable source of information about a historical period that negatively impacted millions of people. I want to point out that I identified somewhat with the author because my father and his family escaped the communist regime in Cuba in 1961. Even though I was not there, I have heard the brutal stories about what happens in a communist government.

I rate Milk from Sand by Leonila V. Montgomery 3 out of 4 stars because it brings to light what happened in communist Russia between WWII and the early 1960s. I deducted a star because the book needs another editorial round. I recommend this book to historians, sociologists, and readers who want to learn about this time in history.

Milk From Sand
View on Bookshelves |Buy from Publisher's Website

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This sounds like a very interesting and enlightening story, told by a true witness to the events of the time. It makes me think about how resilient the human race is, and how cruel and kind people are to each other. Nice review!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like such a fascinating and intriguing story, since the truth of the events that happened in communist Russia are not easily uncovered. I will definitely put this on my to-read list; thank you for the amazing review!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Your review was well-written and now I am curious to read Lilia's story myself. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have heard all the horror stories about communist Russia. I love that the author has good memories along with the bad and has learned from her experiences. It sounds like a fabulous book other than the editing issues. I'm going to have to put this one on my list. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

The title of this book has got me thinking! for milk to come out of sand, their must be a tough going. I love historical books and would love to check this one out. nice review.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

a very brilliant way to execute a memoir. I love communist history, especially one during the world war two period. From this review i can tell for sure that i will enjoy the book, thank you for the good review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This seems like an informative first-hand account of another infamous part of mankind's history and of what goes on in a more rigid society that we may not be accustomed to. It's good that the author found solace and inspiration from the world of books at such a tumultuous time. Thank you for a well-written review of the piece.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm sure this read must have surprised you as much as I'm, since most people expect a WW2 read to be a thriller, suspenseful read, but it seems like a peaceful, I'm-in-my-own-world kind of read. I'm delighted that this book acted in your favour, and I'm sure to look forward to it. Thank you for your descriptive review! (P.s. Sorry for commenting late).
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

Just by reading the title one can surely confirm that this memoir was going to be one of a kind. It is great to every once in a while get different perspectives about happenings that shaped history on a global scale. Great review
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The title seems to suggest thriving against very hard odds. Though I wouldn't say the author and her family thrived, I'm happy they valiantly persevered. Can you imagine being allowed to only review books on 3 subjects?! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I love to read books about or related to world wars. Thanks for the nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”