Review by Shrabastee -- Oblivion Threshold

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review by Shrabastee -- Oblivion Threshold

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Oblivion Threshold" by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

First things first, I have to confess that I did not read Oblivion Threshold. Well, I read the book, but all the time I was feeling as if I was watching a fast-paced space-thriller movie. A vicious group of aliens, dubbed Prox, start making a beeline for Earth and wreak havoc in every space colony they encounter in their way. The Admiral of the Colonial Defense Fleet of Earth sends Captain Jeff Bowers in a reconnaissance mission. When Jeff dies attempting to outrun the invading Prox, a group of sentient beings named Ulim restores him and sends him back to earth. The Ulims warn Jeff not to try the same space warp himself, lest he should unravel the very foundation of the Universe. However, that also means losing the Earth's only chance to win the war against Prox. What can Jeff do to save the day?

What I liked most in the book was its brevity. It is wonderful how within such a short span, J. R. Mabry and B.J. West have presented an action-packed, suspenseful story. The pace did not slack for a single moment and kept me engaged till the end.

The concept of space warp is in no way uncommon in space thrillers, but the way it is described in this book was astounding. The readers can actually visualize the entire process through Jeff’s eyes. That consciousness remains unchanged even in the absence of a corporeal body and therefore can be restored was a mesmerizing concept.

Even within the short span, the major characters are portrayed with utmost care. Jeff Bower’s self-imposed reclusion following his past mishaps, Jocelyn’s headstrong and indomitable nature, Emma’s jealousy and straightforwardness put the characters in a realistic light. Although the rest of the characters are two-dimensional, that does not detract from the reading experience.

In addition to the technical details that are prevalent in science fictions, this book reserves space for exploring human emotion. The budding love story between Jeff and Emma and the resultant conflict with Jeff’s residual feelings for Jocelyn was not what I was expecting from a hardcore space thriller. Yet there was love in all its glory in an otherwise professional and utterly formal set-up.

In my opinion, the major setback for the book is the lack of background information. The readers can glean from the story that it takes place sometime in the future when the human race is technologically more advanced and has connected with other sentient beings colonizing the space. However, considering that this is the first book of the saga, the authors could have introduced a little more information on how it all started. The details of the Sol Station, the Colonial Science Corps Academy, and the Colonial Defense Fleet could have been elaborated instead of leaving it for the readers to imagine.

Also, I had trouble comprehending the somewhat abrupt ending. The book ends in a cliffhanger that is good for keeping the anticipation alive. However, I believe some conclusive elements could have made for a better ending.

I would have liked to rate the book 3.5, but since that is not possible, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. With no grammatical or editing issues, I believe it was professionally edited. Readers who like science fictions and space thrillers will thoroughly enjoy the book.

Oblivion Threshold
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Hey, you are right. The book feels like watching a fast paced space-thriller! I also felt the end was anticlimactic. I have enjoyed reading your review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Cotwani wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 00:34 Hey, you are right. The book feels like watching a fast paced space-thriller! I also felt the end was anticlimactic. I have enjoyed reading your review!
Thanks Cotwani for commenting.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

This sounds like something I would enjoy. Thank you for a great review!
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! :tiphat:
I have read and reviewed this book as well. As suggested by another reader I now read a review of a book (after I review them) to compare to see what someone thought of it. Your review is not only well-written but you brought up a lot of great points! I 100% agree with comment as that is how I felt reading it as well: The pace did not slack for a single moment and kept me engaged till the end."
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

There have been a number of rave reviews of this book. Your confession that upon reading the book, you felt as if you were watching a movie, makes it worthy to be pinned to my TR list. Thanks for the review, Shrabastee.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 03:32 This sounds like something I would enjoy. Thank you for a great review!
Thank you Ronel for commenting! I hope you like the book as much as I did!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 05:58 There have been a number of rave reviews of this book. Your confession that upon reading the book, you felt as if you were watching a movie, makes it worthy to be pinned to my TR list. Thanks for the review, Shrabastee.
Thanks for your comment, Debjani! I believe you will absolutely love this book. It also has a prequel which I am willing to try!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

fernsmom wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 05:29 Great review! :tiphat:
I have read and reviewed this book as well. As suggested by another reader I now read a review of a book (after I review them) to compare to see what someone thought of it. Your review is not only well-written but you brought up a lot of great points! I 100% agree with comment as that is how I felt reading it as well: The pace did not slack for a single moment and kept me engaged till the end."
Thanks for your kind words, fernsmom! I would also like to read your views on this. Yes, this habit of reading other reviews of the same book has been very beneficial for me. I always try to maintain that.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Very enjoyable review and it sounds like a rivetting read!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Helen_Combe wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 02:47 Very enjoyable review and it sounds like a rivetting read!
Thanks for your comment, Helen! Much appreciated!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

There was a lot packed into such a short book! And you're right - they could have got it so wrong, but they nailed it :)
I really enjoyed your review - you covered so much that I didn't even think of. Great job!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 05:19 There was a lot packed into such a short book! And you're right - they could have got it so wrong, but they nailed it :)
I really enjoyed your review - you covered so much that I didn't even think of. Great job!
Thank you so much Bianca for commenting! Really appreciate it!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I like very descriptive space thrillers that readers could visualize, but the cliffhanger ending prevented me from reading this book. I usually like freestyle endings but not cliffhangers. It's good to know that this book is free from error. Thanks for the succinct review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Dolor wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 22:19 I like very descriptive space thrillers that readers could visualize, but the cliffhanger ending prevented me from reading this book. I usually like freestyle endings but not cliffhangers. It's good to know that this book is free from error. Thanks for the succinct review.
Thanks for commenting, Dolor! Yes, the cliffhanger ending was indeed off-putting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”