Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jibby9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jibby9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by jibby9 »

I'm currently with someone who absolutely does not read. It's a real struggle between us as not only does he not enjoy books (action, mystery, fiction, ANYTHING), he also fails to stay up-to-date on common news articles and very basic texts. While I love this person, this is honestly so difficult for me and I feel our conversations are so very limited. Love him for his heart and personality but ultimately wish he had the desire and curiosity to be an avid reader like me :(
trina215
Favorite Book: Betrayal of Justice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trina215.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

Post by trina215 »

I am currently with someone who doesnt like to read on a regular basis but its ok. My passion is reading, his is music. It blends well because we can ask questions about each others and sometimes learn something new or interesting. opposites really do attract
xuqt2006
Currently Reading: RoseBlood
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xuqt2006.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by xuqt2006 »

I think I could as long as we have other things we mutually enjoy. If he likes movies, video games, etc. (things I enjoy) I think we would be fine.
Big Josh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Big Josh »

Reading is a habbit or interest that one develops ok, as long as the person think straight am good with that.
megmeyer01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megmeyer01.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris

Post by megmeyer01 »

Absolutely not - reading is one of the major life experiences & expands the mind! To not be a reader indicates a person who limits their world.
Cgilling

Post by Cgilling »

I can date someone who does not read.
Not everyone enjoys reading, their priorities may be different from mine. As long as I get time to do my reading I'm fine
Devyani001

Post by Devyani001 »

A person who doesn't read is no better than a person who can't read. Books are an integral part of my life. Every book that I've read has stretched my mind and transformed me. If I date a person who doesn't read, the relationship will get boring after a while. There should be newness, some freshness and a pinch of adventure. The topics to discuss will soon die out after a certain stage of being in a relationship and that will make things kind of monotonous.
So I'd rather not be with a person who doesn't read.
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

I think it's all about how we can convince the other person to read.
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

It's not something i've thought about too much. I do think that a person who reads has a much better understanding of life and people, and I feel really bad for those who don't because they're missing out on so much. It really depends from person to person because it is possible to have all that without reading but I'd definitely prefer a person who reads. A person you doesn't read might be into other things though like movies etc and I think it'll be fun to interact that way with someone who is very different from me.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Ha! I did date someone who didn't read, and I even married him. I should have known that I couldn't trust someone who didn't love books! Now he's my ex. :lol:
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

No! No!, not at all. I'm not disapproving just because she can't read but because of the fact that, her inability to read means she will be very low in IQ, social status, administrative skill and the likes. So she will be a burden on my intelligence, emotional control and so on.
dailey2820
Favorite Author: Freida McFadden
Currently Reading: We Thought We Knew You
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dailey2820.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 46859

Post by dailey2820 »

There's much more to a person than whether they read or not. I can see dating someone who doesn't read as long as there are other things we have in common. Although, I could not see being with someone who didn't understand my need to read and viewed it as a waste of time. I spend a good amount of my downtime reading every day and luckily I married a fellow lover of books :)
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

For now, maybe I will because I believe in the saying opposite attracts. There's no harm in trying, if he really doesn't understand my hobby then fine I will move on , It is only on dating stage so it is only a getting to know each other phase. So I think I 'm fine trying
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

I'm married to someone who doesn't really read. He has read one self-improvement book in the six years we've been together. I read several books a month, and this doesn't hinder our relationship. He actually enjoys me discussing the books I'm reading with him, even though he hasn't read the book himself.

I feel you should have something in common with your partner, but you don't need to have everything in common about your partner. There are many things he knows a lot about that I'm not into, and I listen while he tells me about the things he is interested in. Though we might not be interested in the same things, we are care about one another and take the time to listen to what the other person considers important. And we don't belittle the other person for the lack of interest.
modupereb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-modupereb.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by modupereb »

Not everybody likes reading. To some its an hobby, to other its not. If at all I will date someone who doesn't like reading, be sure I will motivates and drive the person to learn how to read, in an interesting way.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”