Official Review: Christmas Kindling by David A Jacinto

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Christmas Kindling by David A Jacinto

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Christmas Kindling" by David A Jacinto.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The way to build a massive, roaring fire starts with the gathering of small branches and putting them together. While an individual stick may not produce an inferno, a bundle assembled all together will create a crackling catalyst for a blaze that will draw in a crowd seeking warmth and comfort. Just like those twigs, David A. Jacinto has compiled sixteen short stories in his book, Christmas Kindling, to exemplify how self-sacrifice, a giving spirit and a love for humanity can ignite a servant's heart.

The collection begins with a young college man who desires to be with the love of his life for Christmas, so he embarks on a journey that involves sneaking into empty boxcars on trains with only $5.28 in his pocket. He depends on the kindness of strangers and the grace of God to get him to his destination. The adoration he has for this girl pushes him to endure many uncomfortable conditions to make her wish come true.

Other stories include the lessons learned by taking in a battered rescue dog named Sadie, a young girl diagnosed with cancer who joyfully gives away her most prized possession, and the work of many to restore a woman's home after devastating life events have brought her low. In each chapter, readers will find themselves laughing at the light humor one minute followed by flowing tears as the author has a wonderful ability to touch the heart.

While the writing does emphasize the Bible and Christianity, the stories stand alone as testimonies to the goodness of people. In this time of social upheaval, the message is a welcome break from discord as the focus is purely upon this verse: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Whether a Christian or not, we all should adhere to that principle.

My favorite part of the book was the ease of reading its short chapters and coming away with a quick life lesson. The demonstrated acts of kindness can easily be replicated in any community so more of us can be the hands and feet of God reaching out to those who are in need. Also, the black and white sketches at the beginning of each chapter gave this an old-fashioned feel that I found enjoyable.

There wasn't anything I disliked about this collection, and I would recommend it to all who like positive, uplifting reading material. I know that some readers are completely against anything that remotely includes religious ideas, so this would be one for that particular person to skip.

I did find a few errors in punctuation and spelling. However, they did not interfere with the quality of the writing. I am giving this a 4 out of 4 star rating for its ability to promote unity not only at Christmas but all year long.

Christmas Kindling
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I love such heart warming short stories. Christmas is a time to give and show love to everybody no matter their religious background. This is a must read for me. Thanks for the good review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Christmas is always a time to show love and giving. Very encouraging short stories which are short, hence, making it an easy read for its audience. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

A book of Christian short stories is probably not my cup of tea, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a collection I would really enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This sounds like a heart-warming collection of short stories that I will enjoy. Thanks for the review!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

fredrick otieno wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 02:09 I love such heart warming short stories. Christmas is a time to give and show love to everybody no matter their religious background. This is a must read for me. Thanks for the good review.
I love Christmas and this book coming to me in October put me in the holiday frame of mind. It was so good to read stories that showed people helping people. Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate it.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 02:04 This sounds like a heart-warming collection of short stories that I will enjoy. Thanks for the review!
It is a great book! Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate it.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 11:07 This sounds like a collection I would really enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation!
Thank you for reading my review. It was so nice to open a book and read about people caring about others and doing their best to help one another. Thanks again. I appreciate the comments!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 10:48 A book of Christian short stories is probably not my cup of tea, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the great review.
I appreciate you taking a peek at my review. Since joining the book club almost a year ago, I cannot believe some of the books I have read that I thought I never would have! This club has opened my eyes to genres that I would have not even given the time of day. Poetry? No way! But...then again..:) I totally understand your viewpoint though. Sometimes I still have to pass on things that just aren't 'my fit'. Thanks again for reading.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

T_stone wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 02:23 Christmas is always a time to show love and giving. Very encouraging short stories which are short, hence, making it an easy read for its audience. Thanks for the review.
I appreciate your comments and for reading my review. I agree with you that Christmas makes us look a little more outward. The book was packed with so many lessons and wrapped up in such a nice package. Thanks again for reading my review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the cover. A collection of inspiring short stories sounds wonderful. I do wonder if these are true stories as the book is classified as non-fiction? It doesn't sound like it, so I'm a bit confused. Still, sounds lovely. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

i always find books related to Christmas very nostalgic and since Christmas is not far away ,i would love to read it.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I like the comparison of putting together twigs to build a fire to compiling these stories into a complete book. I look forward to reading it this season, thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I am not a Christian but I do agree that we should treat others the way we want to be treated. I love that this book has a collection of short non fiction stories, because it goes to show that there is still good in the world. I imagine that this book would be a welcome break away from all the negativity in the news and media. Even though it sounds Christmas themed, I imagine that these stories can be helpful for anyone to read even in the middle of July because kindness is lacking in our society today. Thanks for the review!
:character-ariel:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”