Review by Fozia-Bajwa -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by Fozia-Bajwa -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles is an emotional story which has a protagonist role of Hiram McDowell. Hiram is a neurosurgeon, a doctor, a father, a husband with three wives and also a mountain climber in Nepal. He was awarded a post of secretary in the department of healthcare in the United States as an honor. He was running a medical foundation in Nepal. His third married life with Carole was going through a tough time period. His survival at home was not normal with the wife due to the complexities of the relationship.

He makes a deal with his colleague Michael O’ Leary who is a member of an executive committee in the board of governors. The deal was accepted and finalized by Michael and Hiram McDowell was nominated and then was elected as the president of the international college of the surgery by the misuse and manipulation of the votes. But after gaining the powers and achieving the seat of president Hiram broke his promise to make Michael the executive director of that college. Afterward Michael was an alienator to Hiram and he planned to ruin the life of Hiram McDowell.

His children were growing up and some of them were imitating their father. He has three children Ann, Sophie, and Billie. Ann is a daughter of Hiram from the third wife and Billie is a son from Hiram’s second wife. Billie, who was lacking the love and attention from family, finds a chance to fulfill his desire for compassion and love and impregnates his step-sister Ann. Thus he became the youngest father at an early age. When his wife asked Hiram about the case of Ann, he says to abort the child carried by Ann just to save the career and impression of Billie in the society. Jeremy is a grandson of Hiram who kills twelve people due to the less training from mother. When Hiram goes to the hospital, he is convicted as the murderer of Jeremy at hospital bed and was sentenced to jail for a period of five years. After all, he got redemption from jail and survived for the next life.

In this book, the arrogance and selfishness of Hiram lead him into troubles and he fell from sky to earth down. Betrayal, revenge, egocentricism, manipulation of human beings and animals, complexities in the relationships, torture, and adventure are the elements in this story. In this book the protagonist character Hiram, Instead of having a top ranking position and a successful career in the medical field was suffering from difficulties in the personal life with family relationships which could not be solved at any cost. His peace was hidden in his career and wealth outside the home. McDowell has lewdness and moral looseness in the character. He is a cheating person, disloyal husband to his third wife Carole who never feels happy with McDowell and also he was an irresponsible father.

Negative minds can be increased in the society due to the diverted and disturbed family members of Hiram. He always encounters the good people in his life and always uses them for his benefit and does not show care for anyone except a little care given to his children at home only. His negligence towards family spoils the children’s mind and their behavior. Children grow up with untrained social behavior, uncontrolled emotions, and selfishness.

This is a terrible life story of Hiram McDowell, who thinks women are only the source of pleasure and nothing than more. He never cares about the ladies and only considers them as a time pass enjoyment. All the roles played by Hiram are not idealistic, that’s why he cannot be said a hero in the true sense but he is leading a self-focused character in every sense. The hurting roles by Hiram make the plot line a tragedic story. The Loveless and manipulative character of Hiram McDowell makes the story complex and full of criticism.

His life is full from the quest of wealth, resources, career, and progress in the department but he has no space for humanity and is a ruthless character. The reason to like the book by me is the realistic theme of the story. The scenes, roles, and behaviors are seemed to be a part of the real world. Animating nature of the book makes it more charming because there is no boredom and one page pushes the reader to the next.

That is the reason I will give this book 4 out of 4 stars.
The reason I don’t like the story is the use of obscene language, and sexiest scenes which make the story unfit for the youngsters to read. Severe realities in the medical field are also dislikeable in the story. Violence, arrogance, women exploitation are also the reasons to dislike this book for me. The story is well balanced and is recommended for the readers interested in the medical field, doctors, prospective doctors, surgeons, people interested in the medical profession and those who want a highness and richness in their career.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Fozia-Bajwa's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Just completed my review of this book and I must say, I actually had pity for Hiram in his quest for redemption. For some people, until they fall from grace to grass, they don't learn to live life humbly. Good & detailed summary
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Thank you for your excellent review. This book is getting a lot of high ratings. When I read the first few chapters, the main character McDowell was so disagreeable, I didn't think I would like the book. But I think I will have to give it a try. Your review makes me want to read it.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Not keeping his side of the deal with Michael was McDowell's great undoing. Having read and reviewed the book, I agree with you that he was a ruthless character. Thanks for the enlightening review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Fozia-Bajwa

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

T_stone wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 16:19 Just completed my review of this book and I must say, I actually had pity for Hiram in his quest for redemption. For some people, until they fall from grace to grass, they don't learn to live life humbly. Good & detailed summary
Thanks for giving your precious time to my review.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Well explained the book Fozia, I like your review because you narrated the whole in a very organized way. I also can't bear such harsh, selfish and sexy type characters, but the only thing that makes me read this book is that i want to feel the love that even a most selfish man "like McDowell" does to his children. Thanks for an awesome review.
Fozia-Bajwa

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Ayat paarsa wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 12:36 Well explained the book Fozia, I like your review because you narrated the whole in a very organized way. I also can't bear such harsh, selfish and sexy type characters, but the only thing that makes me read this book is that i want to feel the love that even a most selfish man "like McDowell" does to his children. Thanks for an awesome review.

Thanks a lot for your kind comments
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems like a very intriguing book. I have been on the verge of picking it up a few times. I really liked your review as it told me exactly what to expect from the book.

Thank you for the insightful review.
Fozia-Bajwa

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Kajori50 wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 00:40 This seems like a very intriguing book. I have been on the verge of picking it up a few times. I really liked your review as it told me exactly what to expect from the book.

Thank you for the insightful review.
Thanks for your kind words.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a deep read which covers a wide range of issues. Thanks for the review!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Hiram is trouble I see. Playing with women, cheating on his wife and taking advantage of good people is really bad. The book seems to contain an interesting plot with everyone in Hiram's family having his own story to tell. Informative review!
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Hiram seems too cynical to be a hero.. qualities you described makes a perfect antagonist not a protagonist...thank you for a thorough review ☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Fozia-Bajwa

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Zimall wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 00:47 Hiram seems too cynical to be a hero.. qualities you described makes a perfect antagonist not a protagonist...thank you for a thorough review ☺
Welcome dear
Fozia-Bajwa

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

gen_g wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 04:48 This sounds like a deep read which covers a wide range of issues. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your concerning comments.
Fozia-Bajwa

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 10:29 Hiram is trouble I see. Playing with women, cheating on his wife and taking advantage of good people is really bad. The book seems to contain an interesting plot with everyone in Hiram's family having his own story to tell. Informative review!
Thank you for understanding deeply.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”