Physician Assisted Suicide

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Re: Physician Assisted Suicide

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 09:17
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 00:17 Life wasn't something that was given freely and we aren't eligible to take it away as well. Committing euthanasia is a crime worth punishing with death. No matter what his intentions were taking away a person's life is unacceptable.
Am I the only person who sees the complete irony in this statement?
No, you're not. I totally respect Sahani, and she's been nothing but lovely to me, but I have to agree with you on this one. However, maybe we misunderstood her comment?
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

My problem with McDowell killing Jeremy is that it was not an act of mercy, he did it because he hated Jeremy for destroying his family and reputation.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

HIs experiences didn't change my preconceived notions about euthanasia. It only made me see things from his perspective and understand why he did what he did.I still disagree with his view about physicIan asisted suicide.Everyone has a right to life no matter how little the chance is.
taltis37
Currently Reading: Warrior Godess Training
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taltis37.html
Latest Review: The World of Ato by Patrick Borosky
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by taltis37 »

Euthanasia is definitely a controversial topic. If a person wishes to end their suffering, who are we to decide what they can and cannot do? I would choose physician assisted suicide if the quality of my life was a burden to myself or someone else. Also, how is euthanasia for humans not okay, but it is okay for animals? Is it fair to not allow a human that choice? There are many questions, but I think the answers depend on the person who has to make that decision.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I think that assisted suicide should definitely be an option, but it shouldn't be the doctor's decision.There would be very few situations where I would say that the doctor/ or legal guardians of the person should be allowed to make the decision.
Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71 »

A very interesting topic it seems, for everyone here. Especially within the context of McDowell!

Physician Assisted Suicide presents a lot of geometrically conflicting issues, socially and personally.

I can't say the reasoning behind McDowell's decision was in err, but I would have to be concerned with his motivations of often providing an "Occam's Razor" approach to solving issues. If it's the easiest way to get something done and over with, Hiram will often endorse that choice (i.e, Tasha + Billie) so as to not make more trouble.

P.A.S. has its benefits on the grieving process and the patient alike, but McDowell doesn't seem genuine enough for that to be a sufficient answer. I'd need to reflect on these comments on here some more. Very thought provoking!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

jesdav16 wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 14:35 I am totally against suicide in any form. I strongly believe that once there is still life, there is hope.
I am in agreement here. Such a controversial question requires one to examine their beliefs. As for me, I believe that God loves me and has each of my days numbered. Neither I nor my doctor should take the decision out of God's hands.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
k2kelliher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2kelliher.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

Post by k2kelliher »

I think it is odd that we are able to put animals down when their suffering is so bad that they are in pain and won't recover. I think it is odd because we don't allow this same kindness to our own.
Nephyz+254
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nephyz-254.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Nephyz+254 »

Personally I don,t believe that euthanasia is worth even a faintest reason to be practiced. He is only God who gives life and only Him can take it away. Why assist Him in His job? I think anybody who participate in any assisted suicide is a murder and should be incarcerated just like they did to Hiram.
1414kings
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 75

Post by 1414kings »

Euthanasia is a very bad thing to admire. Helping someone to terminate life? No!!!

The soul I can not create, I must not take It, no matter how terrible the situation is. Let us surrender it to God
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

Voluntary euthanasia!!! That's suicide. Why should someone take his own life you didn't give to yourself in the first place. I believe life should be left to take its own course,euthanasia is wrong.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Euthanasia is a personal issue. You don't know what a person is going through or how they feel. It should be their choice.
Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244

Post by Sirlimu01 »

I know life shoul not ae tampered with any how. Therefore suicide in approach is not reasonable. McDowell view here is not aprecable. Though Hiram aids in the killing of Jeremy the act look provoking. I don't agree with physician assisted suicide.
Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244

Post by Sirlimu01 »

I think physician assissting suicide is not reasonable and fair. It should not view in one pespective but rather in a dual way. Life is so precious and need not to be tamperred with. The role to be played by physician is to make avenue for life expansion.
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

N_R wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 04:01 Eww.... euthanasia is a very difficult theme which can generate such conversation and discussion. I think that it is very hard to make a good decision about this, but I like the idea that the theme is touched on.
I agree, euthanasia is very hard. I'm so sad for some people to come to a choice between their loved ones on life and death. It seems so scary

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”