Official Review: Story Bends by S.D. Henke

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Story Bends by S.D. Henke

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Story Bends" by S.D. Henke.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Story Bends is a poignant and thought-provoking fantasy novel written by S. D. Henke.

Edward Story is a disturbed thirteen-year-old boy in Derbyshire, England. After an incident that had nearly cost him his life when he was three years old, Edward started to hear voices, have trouble sleeping, and sense nocturnal visitors. As if that’s not enough for a thirteen-year-old to handle, Edward is bullied in school for being strange and suffers occasional nosebleeds. Through it all, he finds comfort in his journal where he scrawls what seems like meaningless images. His therapist, seemingly frustrated with Edward’s apparent disregard for those who are trying to help him get better, prescribes a new medication to help Edward sleep.

Meanwhile, Edward’s parents suffer the pain of having their son so detached from this world and not being able to reach out to him. This takes a toll on their marital relationship so they decide to go on a holiday and invite Sister Dina to watch over Edward in their absence. Emboldened by Sister Dina’s reassuring presence, Edward enters The Bends, a thin place between life and death and a realm of tilted memories.

Told in the first-person perspective of Edward and with a consistently steady pacing, the book has sixty-two chapters. It vividly depicts the torment of being unable to talk about what a young person is going through for fear of being ridiculed and spurned. Similarly, it portrays the agony of the parents who couldn’t reach out to their offspring and their perpetual search for a seemingly elusive solution to whatever it is that bothers their child. Moreover, the book illustrates how the faith of even one person can make an enormous difference to a tortured individual. In addition to the liberal use of figurative language which makes the narration evocative, unexpected revelations lead the story to a conclusion that gives the book a memorable and haunting quality.

All in all, this is an enjoyable book. However, the use of conspicuously formal vocabulary and sentence fragments doesn’t make it an easy read. Moreover, I find the plot ambiguous with scenes not thoroughly and explicitly explained that the ending leaves several questions unanswered. It seems like the explanations are hidden somewhere in the story and it is up to the readers to find them. Though it may be challenging to some readers, others may find it a little frustrating. Furthermore, except for Edward, I find the characters less developed than I hope, especially Sister Dina. Next to Edward, she is my second favorite character. She is genuinely compassionate with physical and emotional scars that make her the kind of person she is. I would appreciate a more detailed backstory on her. Finally, there are several noticeable errors within the entire book (like your saying we go instead of you’re saying we go and whose gone all wonky instead of who’s gone all wonky).

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is interesting, moving, and memorable. I recommend it to fans of fantasy novels.

Story Bends
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Emboldened by Sister Dina’s reassuring presence, Edward enters The Bends, a thin place between life and death and a realm of tilted memories.
I was drawn to the book by its cover and planned to pin it to my TR list due to its novel concept but decided against it due to inadequate character development and errors. Thanks for the honest review!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

When i find a book interesting, i would not be stopped with the few errors in it. What Edward goes through is quite moving and i would want to read it all alone. Thanks for the good review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 00:55
Emboldened by Sister Dina’s reassuring presence, Edward enters The Bends, a thin place between life and death and a realm of tilted memories.
I was drawn to the book by its cover and planned to pin it to my TR list due to its novel concept but decided against it due to inadequate character development and errors. Thanks for the honest review!
You're welcome. Other readers may find it quite enjoyable.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

fredrick otieno wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 05:27 When i find a book interesting, i would not be stopped with the few errors in it. What Edward goes through is quite moving and i would want to read it all alone. Thanks for the good review.
You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Despite the errors, this one sounds intriguing. Edward seems a bit disturbed, and the story seems to explore his torment quite well. I'm curious to see how his trip in The Bends helps him to cope. I'm also curious as to what Sister Dina's presence has to contribute to the story. Thanks for the information. I'll look into this one further.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 08:22 Despite the errors, this one sounds intriguing. Edward seems a bit disturbed, and the story seems to explore his torment quite well. I'm curious to see how his trip in The Bends helps him to cope. I'm also curious as to what Sister Dina's presence has to contribute to the story. Thanks for the information. I'll look into this one further.
You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

It seems like a great novel. The difficulty level of the read may not be suitable for me, i can loose attention quickly if things are to difficult. that being said, thanks for your review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

evan1995muniz wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 08:57 It seems like a great novel. The difficulty level of the read may not be suitable for me, i can loose attention quickly if things are to difficult. that being said, thanks for your review.
You're welcome. Thank you for the comment.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”