Official Review: From Broke to Breadwinner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: From Broke to Breadwinner

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Broke to Breadwinner" by Janaki Chakravarthy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"She has to have four arms, four legs, four eyes, two hearts, and double the love. There is nothing single about a single mom." Mandy Hale

From Broke to Breadwinner: The Single Mom's Guide to Financial Independence and More by Janaki Chakravarthy provides readers with practical advice for overcoming financial obstacles while equipping them to become better parents.

The author is a former IT consultant and certified life coach who shares insights from her own experience, as well as the individual stories of women she coached and the cultural stigma they faced after divorce as a result of their Indian background. However, the single-parent challenges she addresses are universal. The book includes ten chapters plus a conclusion and reference for additional reading. The beginning of the book introduces several of the author's clients, their histories and specific challenges, followed by the responsibilities and concerns any single mom wrestles. Next, the author shares her personal journey from feeling defeated and hopeless to eventually achieving financial independence. Subsequent chapters include the principles she adopted and her RECIPE for success--an acronym for the 6 key ingredients she credits for bringing her peace and contentment. She elaborates on these principles chapter by chapter, explaining how she and the women she coached applied them to their lives. She defines her guardian-mom philosophy and contrasts it with her previous traditional mom mindset. Additionally, the author addresses earning and money management, the importance of conviction related to faith and positivity, practicing intentional learning, the value of self-care, and how to shed self-pity and embrace your reality. Chapters conclude with a summary of the content as well as questions for personal reflection.

Having raised my three children as a single parent and read countless books on the subject, I can honestly say this is one of the best I've had the pleasure of reading. The book is well-written, organized, and covers real-life struggles that affect single parents. The author's writing style is informal and conversational, making the book enjoyable to read. Her practical approach to everyday challenges ranging from financial constraints to overcoming feelings of guilt is encouraging and empowering. The valuable advice and tips she shares mirror those I've learned from experience. Interestingly, it seems I began my journey as a single parent around the same time as the author, and this is exactly the kind of resource I would have loved to read at the time.

While there were many things I liked about this book, I most appreciated the honesty of the following paragraph. "What is not included in my book is information on how to have the next love in your life. When my marriage fell apart, there was no other purpose in my life than to earn and provide for my children. There was no time or interest in pursuing another union. While many single moms find their lives blessed with a second and happier marriage or partnership, the focus of my book is on functioning as an independent adult and finding fulfillment within yourself." I couldn't agree more. To clarify, I'm not against remarriage, but I really applaud the author's honesty regarding what it's like to be knee deep in the trenches when you suddenly become a single parent. I distinctly remember feeling dismayed when I picked up a book seeking the kind of practical advice offered in this book, only to find advice about seeking another relationship.

I am unable to highlight any areas of weakness, and without reservation, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited, and I didn't note any errors. Though it is tailored for single mothers, I would also recommend it to single fathers going back to work after being a stay-at-home parent. Furthermore, it is relevant for parents of various ages and stages of parenting.

From Broke to Breadwinner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Pegboard
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pegboard.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Pegboard »

This review makes me want to read Janaki Chakravarthy's book even though I am not a single mother. I like to know what is out there for friends or family who may need good advice, thanks.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The title of this book caught my attention and your review has done justice to it; speaking from your personal experience. I'm definitely reading this in the nearest future. Thanks for the brilliant review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This is a great review, and it is refreshing to read about a book that was thoroughly enjoyed! Although I have been married to the same lovely man for nearly 35 years, he is also married to his job and works many long hours. In hindsight, I was a single parent to our two children in almost every respect, but because my husband came home most days/nights, nobody regarded me so. I think this book might be exactly what I needed back then so I suggest this might be a help to those who are in my situation- particularly those whose partners are deployed in the Armed Forces or work away from home for whatever reason.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 19:22 The title of this book caught my attention and your review has done justice to it; speaking from your personal experience. I'm definitely reading this in the nearest future. Thanks for the brilliant review
I appreciate your kind comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 19:25 This is a great review, and it is refreshing to read about a book that was thoroughly enjoyed! Although I have been married to the same lovely man for nearly 35 years, he is also married to his job and works many long hours. In hindsight, I was a single parent to our two children in almost every respect, but because my husband came home most days/nights, nobody regarded me so. I think this book might be exactly what I needed back then so I suggest this might be a help to those who are in my situation- particularly those whose partners are deployed in the Armed Forces or work away from home for whatever reason.
Thank you for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Pegboard wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 17:26 This review makes me want to read Janaki Chakravarthy's book even though I am not a single mother. I like to know what is out there for friends or family who may need good advice, thanks.
She has some excellent financial and parental advice. Thanks for your comment.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

To clarify, I'm not against remarriage, but I really applaud the author's honesty regarding what it's like to be knee deep in the trenches when you suddenly become a single parent.
In India, being a single mother is indeed a stigma. In addition to raising your children and providing them a loving and supporting home, an Indian single mother has to continually endure questioning glances from the society and downright derision from her family/relatives. Although I am not a single mother, I think this will be a useful book to read. Thanks for the review. As usual, it was well-written and well-organized.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This is a great book. Once someone becomes a single mother, she is to act as the father too. And this might not be easy, especially on the financial needs of the kid(s), i think this is a great book. Thanks for this great review.
queentkj
Currently Reading: Alpha's Bane
Bookshelf Size: 2607
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queentkj.html
Latest Review: A Little Lost A Little Found by HM Irwing

Post by queentkj »

This is a very thorough and interesting review. I am grateful to hear that this book is about ways to obtain financial independence as a single individual instead of ways to fall into more dependency. I am very inclined to read this book. Thank you for your personal input as well.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have a sister who has become a single mother, so this hits close to home. It takes a special person to raise a child alone. It sounds like there's at least something to identify with in this book if not tips on how to survive. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

"She has to have four arms, four legs, four eyes, two hearts, and double the love. There is nothing single about a single mom." Mandy Hale
So true for single Moms! I wish this book had been around twenty years ago when I was raising my older daughter. It seems to cover a lot of the issues that single mothers deal with in their lives. Thank you for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 01:02
To clarify, I'm not against remarriage, but I really applaud the author's honesty regarding what it's like to be knee deep in the trenches when you suddenly become a single parent.
In India, being a single mother is indeed a stigma. In addition to raising your children and providing them a loving and supporting home, an Indian single mother has to continually endure questioning glances from the society and downright derision from her family/relatives. Although I am not a single mother, I think this will be a useful book to read. Thanks for the review. As usual, it was well-written and well-organized.
The author really did a good job of illustrating the disapproval from her parents, friends, and community that she dealt with as a result of divorce. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

fredrick otieno wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 04:38 This is a great book. Once someone becomes a single mother, she is to act as the father too. And this might not be easy, especially on the financial needs of the kid(s), i think this is a great book. Thanks for this great review.
Thank you, Fredrick.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

queentkj wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 05:51 This is a very thorough and interesting review. I am grateful to hear that this book is about ways to obtain financial independence as a single individual instead of ways to fall into more dependency. I am very inclined to read this book. Thank you for your personal input as well.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”