Review by joellas -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joellas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joellas.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by joellas -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by joellas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hiram McDowell, saint or sinner, was he a good man or a bad one, a selfish man or a selfless one. These and many more such questions you keep asking yourself as you read the book McDowell by William H. Cole. William H .Cole has written a book on a controversial topic” euthanasia” personally at the end I was quite confused and couldn’t decide if Hiram was a cold-blooded murder, merciful angel or an avenging angel.

The book starts with Hiram climbing a mountaintop where he eventually leaves his partner to die without remorse. The beginning of the book portrays Hiram as a coldhearted selfish man, a bad husband, an absent father and a man driven by just his ambitions and lust. Hiram only did things which pleased him and advanced his career not caring about the impact on others.

Hiram’s ambition and selfishness affect everyone in his life from his wife and family to his colleagues and friends. It also eventually leads to his downfall. His friend and colleague Michael O’Leary whom he promised an appointment and gave said appointment to someone else eventually helped pull him down.

The book is a book of self-discovery it can also be said to be a coming of age book. When Hiram was arrested and convicted of his grandson’s murder his world came crashing he escaped prison and thereafter everyone he came in contact with he impacted. Though he started out with anger he ended up discovering himself.

His journey made him actually him a better person. This made him try to change his attitude and thinking. He ended up saving lives and he was eventually killed because he tried to save kitsy who gave him up to the sheriff. I guess his latter end was better than his beginning. This book also sounds like an autobiography a work of fiction and also a crime book, it would appeal to people who love this genre of books. It would also appeal to people who like self-help and self-discovery books. It would not appeal to people pro-life or people that don’t like an autobiography.

I like the way the author, Williams Cole portrayed the euthanasia topic he was neither for it nor against it he allowed the reader to decide. He also merged the” before and after “ self-discovery of Hiram. I really didn’t like that he was killed at the end despite his change and discovery. In all, it’s a very good read that explores a range of topics in our society very interesting and engaging. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. the book looks professionally edited and proofread.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like joellas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

It sounds like this book approaches a couple of majorly sensitive topics in a very readable way. Personally, I am torn between a terminally ill patient's right to die before they begin a descent into incapacitation and being pro-life. This is something our laws have not yet caught up with. I enjoyed reading your review. You made some interesting points.
Books are my self-medication. 8)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”