Official Review: Here Comes Little Jenna Jafferty

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Here Comes Little Jenna Jafferty

Post by kfwilson6 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Here Comes Little Jenna Jafferty" by Terra Kern.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Here Comes Little Jenna Jafferty is as much a warning as it is the title of a children’s book. Terra Kern presents young readers with an adventurous, spirited child in her short chapter book. In each chapter, Jenna engages in some type of mischief or mayhem. She has many adventures from fishing with her dad to driving a car before the age of 3! Jenna is able to single-handedly keep her parents on their toes, but sometimes her older sister, Janine, is happy to participate in the fun, making it only that much more disastrous for Mr. and Mrs. Jafferty.

Kern quickly captures her readers’ interest with Jenna and Janine’s antics. Before the first chapter ended, I was laughing and shaking my head in disbelief. Children live their lives in such a carefree way with no concern for safety, cleanliness, or rules. This lively spirit shines through in the stories Kern tells of these two girls. I cannot imagine the horror a parent would feel to have to clean up some of Jenna and Janine’s messes. Although I was shocked by some of the things the girls got themselves into, I could also believe children really are mischievous enough to do just the things Jenna and Janine did, if not worse.

What makes the stories even better is that Jenna and Janine are both kind-hearted young girls. They never have the intention of causing harm to anyone, and they are always apologetic when they realize they have done wrong in their parents’ eyes. Mr. and Mrs. Jafferty are the epitome of loving parents. They are never too harsh with their children and shower them with love. Both the children and the parents serve as excellent role models as a result.

I highly recommend this book to parents for their 8 to 11-year-old children. This is a great book to be read out loud because Kern incorporates a sentence or two into every chapter that is full of funny sounding rhyming words. For example, “Jenna did a lot of growing and sowing, blending and befriending, playing and straying, learning and yearning, as well as getting scraped and taped.” This would be an excellent book for children who are developing their reading skills to the point that they are starting to read chapter books. Each adventure is fully described in a single chapter, making the chapter breaks excellent stopping points for young readers. The chapters are the perfect length and contain just the right amount of humor to hold a child’s interest.

I would love to rate Here Comes Little Jenna Jafferty 4 out of 4 stars, but the number of missing commas and other minor errors require that I give Kern’s book only 3 out of 4 stars. If another round of editing weren’t required, I would not hesitate to give 4 stars. Jenna’s adventures will easily be loved by children, especially if they are already fans of Junie B. Jones. Jenna made me think of what Junie was probably like prior to her elementary school days. If you see Jenna Jafferty heading your way, just be prepared for the mayhem that is about to ensue!

Here Comes Little Jenna Jafferty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like kfwilson6's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a fun book. That's neat that there are rhymes in it for older kids to enjoy. Thank you for the review!🐒
:tiphat:
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

A good book for kids. The fact that Jenna is generous and vulnerable shows a good side of the kids, that majority tend to ignore. This is a good review too.
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

This sounds like an exciting book that my 9 year old would enjoy! I love a book about mischievous children freely being themselves!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book seems interesting, and will be enjoyed by kids when read aloud to them. Thanks for this review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

What makes the stories even better is that Jenna and Janine are both kind-hearted young girls. They never have the intention of causing harm to anyone, and they are always apologetic when they realize they have done wrong in their parents’ eyes. Mr. and Mrs. Jafferty are the epitome of loving parents. They are never too harsh with their children and shower them with love. Both the children and the parents serve as excellent role models as a result.
I love everything about this! Despite the editing issues, it sounds like a great book.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds like loads of fun! I love that the girls were authentic as well - and easy to relate to!
Loved your review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

KarinaBordas wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 06:33 This sounds like an exciting book that my 9 year old would enjoy! I love a book about mischievous children freely being themselves!
The girls were definitely not afraid to be themselves. I think your 9-year-old is just the right age to enjoy Jenna's adventures. Thank you for commenting.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a great book for children! It has everything: fun, games and adventures. Thanks for the lovely review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think it's even more important to have a children's book properly edited. This sounds cute, but I wonder if there's a true moral or if it's just a cute story. Thanks for the review. I'll check it out.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Even though I am not the target audience of this book, I think I will enjoy reading this book. It reminds me of movies involving child antics - "Baby's Day Out" and "Dennis the Menace" as examples. Thanks for the awesome review.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

An entertaining and educational book...definitely something that children would benefit from and enjoy at the same time. The errors are unfortunate, especially for a children's book, but this sounds like a great read, overall. Thanks for this review!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

This sounds like a fun book for children. As you say, the rhyming words are a nice touch.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

This sounds like a great children's book. It's disappointing when amazing books are brought down by editing errors, but the story still sounds fun and exciting. Great review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems like the perfect book for children. Actually, I would like to read it as well. Jenna and Jenine seems to be lovely little kids.
I hope that the editing issues are fixed.

Thank you for the amazing review.

Return to “Children's Books”