Official Review: Maya Mysun & The World That Does Not...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Maya Mysun & The World That Does Not...

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Maya Mysun & The World That Does Not Exist" by PM Perry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Maya and her brother Jack live in London. It's their thirteenth birthday, and they plan to celebrate the way they always do - by visiting the Museum of Myths and Mysticism. However, as always seems to happen on their birthday, a series of unusual events occur. First, Maya has a very unique and detailed dream. Secondly, she receives a mysterious letter. Finally, after their visit to the museum, Maya and Jack's parents disappear. Maya and Jack must figure out where they've gone and how to save them before it's too late.

David, who also lives in London, has fled from yet another foster family. He's gifted at avoiding capture, but he can't escape the officers this time. Now they are taking him to a new, private facility called Red Gate. David is all ready to run again, but this place is not like any other to which he's been. A monk greets him at the door of what could almost be called a fortress. The halls are filled with ancient armor and weapons along with numerous paintings and sculptures. His room is part of the royal bedchambers and bigger than any he's had before. This time, he thinks he just might stay a bit longer than normal. But, he soon finds out that not everything is as it seems.

Maya Mysun & The World That Does Not Exist is a fantasy adventure for young adults. Though the vocabulary may be a bit challenging, the action is non-stop and will keep the most preoccupied of readers engaged. The beginning is a bit confusing but slowly becomes clearer as the plot progresses.

I enjoyed the many unique characters adorning the pages of this book. From normal human children, to beings that transform from warriors to four-headed snakes, to wraiths, to flame genies, to dragons, this book seems to have a bit of everything. My favorite would have to be Maya's pet tortoise Tommy who isn't quite as benign and innocuous as he sounds. Little surprises like Tommy are what make this book unique and able to stand out from the crowd.

As far as age-appropriateness goes, I did have a few issues. As stated above, the vocabulary is somewhat advanced. Words like vivarium and pedestrianised are used fairly often. In addition, as this is a fantasy, many of the names used are quite hard to pronounce. A younger reader would stumble over them. There was some violence in the book, but it was worth noting that it was not particularly gory. At the beginning of the book, Maya's dream is somewhat confusing. Luckily, the dream does not need to be fully understood to grasp the remainder of the story. There was, also, quite a bit of rule-breaking. In the grand scheme of things, the Harry Potter series was also classified as young adult; however, there was plenty of confusing plot twists and turns, action-related violence, unique creatures and names and even disobedient children. We all know how successful that was with children and adults.

I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised with this book. It was fun, adventurous and enlightening. This is why, in the end, I decided to give Maya Maysun & The World That Does Not Exist 4 out of 4 stars. In considering the rating, I was on the fence about taking off a star because it just didn't quite meet the expectations for a young adult novel. Still, there are many other examples of books that don't cleanly fit into that category either that are still best-sellers. I recommend this to anyone, young or old, who enjoys a good fantasy novel featuring young adult protagonists, magic and otherworldly beings. It looks like this will become a series, and I can't wait to see what happens to Maya, Jack and David next!

Maya Mysun & The World That Does Not Exist
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

My favorite would have to be Maya's pet tortoise Tommy who isn't quite as benign and innocuous as he sounds. Little surprises like Tommy are what make this book unique and able to stand out from the crowd.
This sounds like a fun book, and I enjoyed your review. :tiphat:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 07:29
My favorite would have to be Maya's pet tortoise Tommy who isn't quite as benign and innocuous as he sounds. Little surprises like Tommy are what make this book unique and able to stand out from the crowd.
This sounds like a fun book, and I enjoyed your review. :tiphat:
Thank you! It was quite interesting. Very enjoyable and action-packed.
—Neil Gaiman
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

This book seems to have a lot going for it; the idea of visiting a Myth and Mysticism Museum on a birthday is an exciting idea. I wonder how Maya and Jack connect with David. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

BookReader+6 wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 07:54 This book seems to have a lot going for it; the idea of visiting a Myth and Mysticism Museum on a birthday is an exciting idea. I wonder how Maya and Jack connect with David. Thanks for your review!
I love the museum! It was a very fun book to read, and I know it's one that many will be able to enjoy. Thanks for the review.
—Neil Gaiman
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

Nice reveiw.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks writer808!
—Neil Gaiman
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

That's a unique birthday adventure for Maya and her brother Jack. And then, David on the other side, cornered. I like the book's unique plot too.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I have a feeling I would like reading about Tommy a lot.

Great review - as always!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

An adventurous book on myth really sounds quite interesting. I just imagined having a unique adventure on my birthday :D. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks everyone. :) It's one I would highly recommend.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for the review and the recommendation. This book sounds interesting and well developed. You have made us all curious about Tommy and the Museum!! Well done!
jeddumapias
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by jeddumapias »

you catch my interest, reading this book is quit good,, very good..
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I do love young adult fantasy. These premise also seems fun - I might give it a go :)
Thanks for the great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thank you all for your kind words. It's a great book, and I have no doubt it will be a great series. Hope you all read and enjoy.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”