Review by Sarah Tariq -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The McDowell by William H. Coles is a beautiful non-fiction novel. The story revolves around a doctor; Hiram McDowell, his family and the people associated with him. Through this book, the author has unearthed many hidden realities of the medical profession; some positive and some negative. McDowell is a philanthropist and at the same time a man void of moral compass. William H. Coles’ view of McDowell’s character makes the reader to ponder over the importance of morality in the medical profession and its lacking- the lust for fame, money and sex- ultimately ruins not only a doctor but also his family.

Hiram McDowell is a renowned doctor, apparently known for his philanthropist tasks and climbing the high mountains. In Nepal, he establishes a charity foundation (hospital) and time to time go for climbing the towering mountains. His appetite for fame compels him to deceive his colleague to become the president of International College of Surgeons. His family is too unhappy with him. He has three children: Ann, Sophie and Billie. He deceives his third wife and his disrespectful behavior prepares her to detach herself from him. The illicit child of Billie also becomes a source of trouble for both.

Although McDowell cares for his children, yet none of them are satisfied with him due to his selfish nature. Ann is passing through a difficult marital relationship and is coping with disturbed children. Sophie, after the death of her close friend is striving to sustain as a professional photographer. Owing to McDowell’s countrywide reputation for his professional achievement, Paige Sterling makes a documentary on his life and reveals many hidden facts. His positive services in the medical profession and love for his children are undermined due to embezzlement in foundation funds and his self-centered, arrogant nature. Ann’s son Jeremy brings ultimate downfall of McDowell. The pathetic downfall of renowned doctor (McDowell) and his struggle to hide his identity gives the story a new direction.

The story is a delightful combination of love, professional intrigues and moral void. William H. Coles has covered the novel from different aspects. At one side, he discloses the harsh realities in the medical profession, on the other hand we see McDowell with a noble profession, involved in philanthropic activities but his inner character is devoid of moral values. His wrong attitude withdraws reader’s sympathies with him despite his constructive social work. Other bleak side of his personality is his conservative attitude towards women, as he considers them not more than a sex symbol. Only positive thing is this he cares for his children.

William H. Coles has a very keen eye over moral degeneration and on prevailing taboos of society. In this novel, the author through his expert description of the hidden feelings and experiences of characters keeps the reader engrossed in reading about starts to end.

One negative thing, I found irritating is frequently sensitive scenes. Sometimes it seems non- fiction -cum- romance novel and the interesting thing is this that William H. Coles provides a vivid picture of Nepalese culture which adds beauty to the story. Overall the book is professionally edited and I could not run mistakes. So I rate this amazing book 4 out of 4 stars.

In a nutshell, I would say that the McDowell is a worth reading book. The story of a venal doctor, his intriguing efforts to achieve a high professional position and his obscene attitude towards women creates a very balanced and reality-based plot. The book is a valuable leisure time option for both young and adult readers. So I would commend it to both. I am confident that the readers would enjoy this story a lot.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thank you for an interesting review. I agree with your comment that the story reveal some unsavory realities about the medical profession. You comment about the frequent sensitive scenes also resonated with me The book would have been fine without them. Thanks for your review. Nice job.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

kdstrack wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 20:26 Thank you for an interesting review. I agree with your comment that the story reveal some unsavory realities about the medical profession. You comment about the frequent sensitive scenes also resonated with me The book would have been fine without them. Thanks for your review. Nice job.
Thanks kdstrack for you reply.

📕📖📰📓📕
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I read your review Sarah Tariq. You have written about the efforts of McDowell to attain the high position in department. Also you have pointed out the Nepalese Culture in your review which will enhance the readers interest to read this book of William H.Coles. This is an interesting review, you should carry on to the others. Hope you for the best of luck dear.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Thanks for your review! I've been debating about whether to read the book or not, and now I'm leaning towards reading it.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 07:10 I read your review Sarah Tariq. You have written about the efforts of McDowell to attain the high position in department. Also you have pointed out the Nepalese Culture in your review which will enhance the readers interest to read this book of William H.Coles. This is an interesting review, you should carry on to the others. Hope you for the best of luck dear.
Thanks for your feedback, Fozia! :)

📕📖📰📓📕
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Hey Sarah Tariq, by entering about Hiram McDowell's mountainous expedition in Nepal, you have increase my interest in the book, though his character as a doctor takes worth ofcourse. Feeling suspeneful that will really the McDowell be remain an unsuccessful man inspite of all his struggling life?
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

HollandBlue wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 08:03 Thanks for your review! I've been debating about whether to read the book or not, and now I'm leaning towards reading it.
That's very good, you came out of indecisive situation. Thanks for stopping by! :)

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Ayat paarsa wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 11:57 Hey Sarah Tariq, by entering about Hiram McDowell's mountainous expedition in Nepal, you have increase my interest in the book, though his character as a doctor takes worth ofcourse. Feeling suspeneful that will really the McDowell be remain an unsuccessful man inspite of all his struggling life?
I think his struggle could be commendable only, had he opted the right way to move upward in his professional career. McDowell's moral spirit was also segmented. His charity work was no doubt a good one, but his bad attitude with his wife and step daughters lowers his credibility as a successful man.
Thanks for stopping by! :)

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”