Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would it be like if you had a watch that could tell you when you would die? Would you settle your personal affairs on order, if so at what price? Would you be tempted to buy products at a special discounted pricing that would bring negative outcome?

In this thought-provoking book by Van Fleisher which depicts the current reality in the USA identifies what triggers within the society. Final Notice is a book that focuses on the tech advancements and the gun laws which currently operates within the country. Consisting of 31 chapters with an epilogue and a prologue the author also have added a featured message as to why he wrote this book. The plot is more of a suspenseful read with crime and tech advancement; it's also a reminder about the money-driven society that we currently live in.

In an era when the crime rate is at all time high, the NRA (National Rifle Association) promotes a senior discount pricing for guns. Vince an early retired man who was bullied by a young chap wanted to vent his anger out for been insulted found himself questioning whether to extract revenge or not. His wife Trudi as any supportive wife does shows him that the use of a gun was never the answer to any problem. Will this stop Vince? How many more elderly victims of bullying like Vince are out there waiting to seek vengeance?

In a simultaneous time, Vijay and Jennifer became corporate associates over a new life monitor equipment that was a sure hit on the market. Little did they know that their discovery was a tool which supported the root cause to all the crimes occurred. With the use of guns and this new device what more damage will it cause? Can it ever be stopped and used for better?

I admire the author’s benevolence; his opinion about guns and its effects are clearly stated which is admirable. The opening was with a question inquiring the reader opinion; it felt like the plot tried to involve the reader into the story.

My attitude towards the use of guns is kill-to-be-killed. Having guns for personal use was never the answer plus it never helps; it’s like taking the law to your own hands. The story was a successful attention grabber. The conversation starter between Vince and Trudi was impressive as the story depicts the reality. I really like the foundation of the story and how different topics are entwined to make it a standard read. The plot focused on many topics supporting the general day-to-day activities in the society.

Fleisher pointed out, how the victims and the victimizer's family suffer due to gun violence. The plot demonstrates on how emotionally challenging it can be to either party. Nothing happens without a reason; this plot questions about: What compels people to commit a crime? Does mental health and aggression have an direct impact on the victimizer?

The reasons for gun violence according to Fleisher is: when people are not willing to reconcile over trivial matters, due to emotional disputes and lack of anger management. This made me think how life was much simpler in the past and how the influence of technology has developed through time. Fleisher also shows the typical attitude the younger generation has towards the elders. The nature of bullying and a know-it-all arrogant attitude which disperse respect and love towards elders is a constant trigger. The tech advancement has created a wide generation gap. Fleisher shows the importance on breaching this gap and how tech itself can help to breach it. The gun violence mentioned in the story reminded me of a movie called the Freedom Writers.

A descriptive detail by Fleisher on how money-minded people can get, how people turn irresponsible when tempted by money is noted: example; the NRA Senior Discount for guns, and a move by a number of states to eliminate a history of mental illness as a disqualification for gun ownership. There was a point where the plot shows how the gun promoter weasel himself in promoting guns to the older generation as a safety measure. How the marketers behave when promoting a booming profit-making product the VT2 watch.

Towards the end of this plot, we could see a peaceful ending with a new hope. The concluding chapter is dedicated to each run-on characters who contributed till the end. The unique characters offered a fascinating read. The multidimensional characters are truly a credential to the plot. Even though a considerable amount of characters played a crucial role at times, they weren’t a hindrance to the read. There were no major grammatical errors. The language is straight and simple. The writing style is descriptive and friendly. The crimes stated are not disturbing as much since it reflects the day-to-day reality but if the reader is a sensitive person then reading discretion is advised.

In conclusion, the author has stated his reasons to why he wrote this book and what his expectations are which I can understand. The general and the most prominent issues in the country are well presented like the American dream that immigrants work hard to achieve, the heavy political stress, lack of morality and ethics. The author has successfully expressed his thoughts profoundly and effective that I couldn’t agree more. I can honestly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars it truly exceeded my expectations. On a further note, I admire one statement stated by a positive character, “Guns are not the answer to anything! And just because a lot people are going along with something doesn’t make it right.” (Trudi)

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you like this one! I read it as well and thought it was very interesting. I hope that the book brings about some good discussion that we need in this country.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 08:41 I'm glad you like this one! I read it as well and thought it was very interesting. I hope that the book brings about some good discussion that we need in this country.
Actually yes, and I heartedly wish that would change people's perspectives upon the use of guns and over influence of technology. Thank you for commenting Kands!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I enjoyed your review of Final Notice. I also read the book and found the characters' perceptions valuable. I like how you used Trudi's sound reason to end the review- very powerful. Thanks for the review!
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
Sahani Nimandra

VictoriaMcMillen wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 20:28 I enjoyed your review of Final Notice. I also read the book and found the characters' perceptions valuable. I like how you used Trudi's sound reason to end the review- very powerful. Thanks for the review!
I am glad you enjoyed the review, thank you for commenting! I am very interested in leaving a ever lasting message to the viewers of my review though the book. Hope it will be a impressive message and leaves a ever lasting impression! Thank you again Victoria!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The author has taken up a very important issue of gun control. In the backdrop of
recurring school shooting incidents, this book gets much importance. Thanks for your nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

What would it be like if you had a watch that could tell you when you would die? Would you settle your personal affairs on order, if so at what price? Would you be tempted to buy products at a special discounted pricing that would bring negative outcome?
Knowing when I would die could freak me out. The moment I could accept the reality, I will repent, and prepare myself for it. I will settle all my personal affairs at all cost. I don't know if I will be tempted to buy that kind of watch with the knowledge that the watch could predict my time of death. 😄
Sahani Nimandra

Dolor wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 07:43
Knowing when I would die could freak me out. The moment I could accept the reality, I will repent, and prepare myself for it. I will settle all my personal affairs at all cost. I don't know if I will be tempted to buy that kind of watch with the knowledge that the watch could predict my time of death. 😄
Hehe yes true Dolor! Neither would I ever settle for a watch like that.
Sahani Nimandra

Sarah Tariq wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 02:48 The author has taken up a very important issue of gun control. In the backdrop of
recurring school shooting incidents, this book gets much importance. Thanks for your nice review.
It sure does and hope that people would change their perspectives for the better than there is no way a gun would ever be your protector. Thank you for commenting!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

You wrote a nice summary of the issues of gun control and technology found in the book. The author does a good job of pulling in the reader as to ask what would you do if you knew when you would die and how to handle anger and aggression.
Sahani Nimandra

LV2R wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 04:41 You wrote a nice summary of the issues of gun control and technology found in the book. The author does a good job of pulling in the reader as to ask what would you do if you knew when you would die and how to handle anger and aggression.
Oh, interesting question! To answer that yes I have a total life span of 72 years, and yes, to control anger and aggressions I do meditation.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I welcome innovative ideas and change especially if the intended benefits are obvious, verifiable, and universal. However, once the perceived and identified disadvantages already far outweigh the desired advantages and the mitigation or complete resolution of negative effects is no longer attainable, then rethinking options should already be considered.

On a more personal note, my previous military training and subsequent (and now former) career thereafter acquainted me with weaponry, although I've never encountered the need to own or ever actually wield one before and even now. I do hope that, for others, the compelling reason for ownership or use would eventually cease to be.

Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra

Espie wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 22:09 I welcome innovative ideas and change especially if the intended benefits are obvious, verifiable, and universal. However, once the perceived and identified disadvantages already far outweigh the desired advantages and the mitigation or complete resolution of negative effects is no longer attainable, then rethinking options should already be considered.

On a more personal note, my previous military training and subsequent (and now former) career thereafter acquainted me with weaponry, although I've never encountered the need to own or ever actually wield one before and even now. I do hope that, for others, the compelling reason for ownership or use would eventually cease to be.

Thank you for your insightful review.
Ohhhhh, it's really interesting to know this point of view from an ex-militant. Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”