Review by Sahani Nimandra -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s truly difficult to part away from the people that we love and care. That experience itself is unbearable. With an unexpected ending the author reflects her work on the beautiful bond between friends. Michelle Cummings offered me an unexpected experience throughout my journey in her book, The Reel Sisters.

Consisting 429 pages and divided into 10 sections each gave away a tip on how-to-be-good at Fly Fishing. The plot is about four women named Rose, Sophie, Amanda, Melody whose love for Fly Fishing brought them together. An independent voice given to each character helps them share their first-hand experience and outlook clearly by giving the right picture. The plot focus on recognizing the value of friendship and sisterhood, the strength of love, tough times and happy moments.

The story begins by introducing the lovely bond between the four women Rose, Amanda, Melody and Sophie who would take time to bond over by their favourite activity Fly Fishing. A woman found flowing downstream pulled out of the waters one day changed everything. With this new member came the power of friendship, turbulence of sorrow, happiness times, wild experiences and self-discovery.

The author impressed me on the depth of friendship by using a character's statement; “I went on a quest to find the perfect fabric for each of their quilts. For Veronica, I found a lovely, sophisticated African print bursting with colour and depth. It has a stunning array of patterns and is very pleasing to the eye. The fabric's sheen alludes to raw silk, while the fabric maintains the fine weave of finely spun cotton. It's just beautiful, if I do say so myself. For Amanda, I pieced together a bright, cheery geometric block print. I found a fun print in a fabric shop that just screamed energetic, youthful teacher. It is lightweight, soft and perfect for cuddling up with those two babies of hers. For Sophie, I did an earthly, Autumn-leaves block print quilt. The fabric was made with natural dyes from tree barks, flowers and roots, perfect for my green thumb friend. The earthly colours blend so warmly together. It might be my favourite quilt of the three” Rose, page 33. This clearly show how a devoted friend recognizes their other better through their personality and interest.

The start was simple with a perfect introduction. A deliberate pace used to develop the story contributed by each character helped in giving a clear picture. The lively characters were credible to the story. This plot offers insightful information about Fly Fishing to any newcomers. The plot reminded me of a movie called the Sisterhood of Travelling Pants which was quite similar to this plot.

There were times when I felt this book was boring that I skipped pages. It failed to keep up my interest that I wanted to stop reading sometimes. The unexpected ending was good. I give 3 out of 4 stars but could have offered 4 stars if this book had not drowned me with boredom. There were no hindrance in the process of reading.

This statement captured my interest and I believe it will take yours as well “Fly Fishing is generally catch and release. There are definitely some lessons in the catching but more importantly are the lessons in learning how to release” Rose, page 410.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I like how you mentioned that this book reminded you of a specific movie. That gives the reader of your review a nice understanding of the style of the book.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Great review! I understand what you mean by getting bored because I also found that sometimes the details on fly fishing ran too deep. Feel free to read my review of the same at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54946
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sahani Nimandra

CommMayo wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 15:00 I like how you mentioned that this book reminded you of a specific movie. That gives the reader of your review a nice understanding of the style of the book.
Thank you, CommMayo!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sahani Nimandra

Cotwani wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 17:01 Great review! I understand what you mean by getting bored because I also found that sometimes the details on fly fishing ran too deep. Feel free to read my review of the same at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54946
Thank you for your comment, and yes I will check it out!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

There were times when I felt this book was boring that I skipped pages. It failed to keep up my interest that I wanted to stop reading sometimes. The unexpected ending was good. I give 3 out of 4 stars but could have offered 4 stars if this book had not drowned me with boredom. There were no hindrance in the process of reading.
I have experienced fly fishing. It's fun.

Too honest of you. Did you read again those pages which you had skipped?
Sahani Nimandra

Dolor wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 02:22
I have experienced fly fishing. It's fun.

Too honest of you. Did you read again those pages which you had skipped?
Na, I felt it was exaggerating too much. Kind of annoying! Thanks for stopping by Dolor!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Oh, I understand the temptation to skip pages when a book begins to drag on and on. I definitely tend to speed read through those sections. I normally like to take my time through a fictional book and savor every moment. Two things will get me racing through the pages: boredom and anxiety about what is going to happen next. :) thanks for the review.
Sahani Nimandra

Kat Berg wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 20:42 Oh, I understand the temptation to skip pages when a book begins to drag on and on. I definitely tend to speed read through those sections. I normally like to take my time through a fictional book and savor every moment. Two things will get me racing through the pages: boredom and anxiety about what is going to happen next. :) thanks for the review.
Yes, I can feel that. I took like to savour every moment but sometimes it is just impossible. I can't agree with you more! Thank you for stoping by!
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I love the friendship presented in this book. It's just a bit sad about those boring pages. It really is a bit exhausting to read a book when you can't fully enjoy it. But still, I think it has a very good theme. Thanks for this informative and honest review :)
Sahani Nimandra

jvez wrote: 05 May 2018, 02:58 I love the friendship presented in this book. It's just a bit sad about those boring pages. It really is a bit exhausting to read a book when you can't fully enjoy it. But still, I think it has a very good theme. Thanks for this informative and honest review :)
I'm glad you found my review resourceful! Thanks for stopping by!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The book sounds like an interesting way to introduce the love of fly fishing through some friendships and the bonding of women enjoying the sport. It was interesting to describe each woman's characteristics through quilting materials. It was nice to hear that it had an unexpected ending.
Sahani Nimandra

LV2R wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 04:47 The book sounds like an interesting way to introduce the love of fly fishing through some friendships and the bonding of women enjoying the sport. It was interesting to describe each woman's characteristics through quilting materials. It was nice to hear that it had an unexpected ending.
It did, but this book is my least favourite. Thank you for commenting!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

"Parting is such sweet sorrow" was what Shakespeare would have said. Indeed, letting go of a dear one - whether it be a friend, family member or a partner - could be difficult yet necessary, too, for both parties' sake. It's but apt, therefore, to live life like every day is one's last and to make it count for one's self, loved ones, and others whose lives one's own is intertwined with. Thank you for your profound review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra

Espie wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 21:47 "Parting is such sweet sorrow" was what Shakespeare would have said. Indeed, letting go of a dear one - whether it be a friend, family member or a partner - could be difficult yet necessary, too, for both parties' sake. It's but apt, therefore, to live life like every day is one's last and to make it count for one's self, loved ones, and others whose lives one's own is intertwined with. Thank you for your profound review.
Thank you so much for commenting! :tiphat: True, but this was one of my least favourite books.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”