Review by Kathryn Price -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
simonodey212
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Review by Kathryn Price -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by simonodey212 »

I actually had such experience when my mum and dad separated...but it makes me a stronger person...the story is quite touching and aroused a feeling of tragedy from the beginning but such makes a happy ending...
Great4Grace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Great4Grace »

The text is about a young girl had to face cruel life. It is touching and shows that any determined female folks can get anything done.
Ravinder+Kaur
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravinder-kaur.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: Kindle

Post by Ravinder+Kaur »

Thanks for the detailed review, Katherine. The sample was quite touching too, what with the description of the troubles that a young Natty has to face with an alcoholic father, poverty and racial discrimination. Deserves the 4/4 rating.
Benred

Post by Benred »

An interesting novel that awkens a 17 year old girls heart to take avange her father because she has to under go bullying in the time of queen Elizabeth.... Interesting story and it deserves its rating💯
PriyankaBhowmick
Favorite Book: Damn the cancer
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka-bhowmick.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by PriyankaBhowmick »

Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane - This book is a well written book on a 17years old girl... Who face various problem protecting her family and also wants to avenge her father... This one is a great book for upcoming age...
2grynd

Post by 2grynd »

This book portrays the life of almost every girl in the real world who is trying to cut away from the cons of home and society and coming of age does a lot in making her stand. Nice book deserving of its rating. Glad I read it.
Brittannlan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Brittannlan »

Ironbark Hill is a no-holds-barred story inside the life of a young woman navigating through life's adversity. This story resonates with other young women who have, in there adolescent years, faced obstacles that are out of their own control, including dysfunctional family life, alcoholism, depression, and neglect. It gives great insight to how hard life can really be. It's an emotional book that will keep you up turning the pages at night.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

A story about how a young girl got through bullying and discrimination. It seems like an inspiring book.
Angeleve88
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 615

Post by Angeleve88 »

Love this genre! I want to read this book to the end. Thumbs up to the author!
Mockingbook

Post by Mockingbook »

This content contains coming _of_age story full of billing and discrimination
Michonos1

Post by Michonos1 »

It's nice and coincise. The description of Natty's life is ethusiatic with strong determination to make things work for the better in the home. The writer makes his audience feel determined to source for ways to make things no matter the huddles in life.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Once again, Ironbark Hill is the OnlineBookClub.org's Book of the Day. I think I need to read up on the history of Australia at the time Queen Elizabeth II ascended the throne -- the period setting of this book -- and learn more about the history of Australian aborigines to better appreciate the importance of this book and the story of Natalie. When I first encountered Ironbark Hill two weeks ago here in OnlineBookClub.org and after reading Kathryn Price's review, I wrote: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane is about the valiant journey of a teenaged girl to protect her family from domestic violence, fight for justice for her slain father, overcome racial discrimination and earn her place in the world as a landscape artist in 1950s Australia. Just reading from the Amazon summary and sample of the book, a reader who has more in life would likely appreciate her life more and count her blessings as priceless values. A reader who struggles just as much will be inspired by Natalie's triumph." But Natalie's story goes beyond the individual character's history and becomes part of the weave of Australian Aborigines' history. Reading a book about fighting discrimination and pursuing a creative career in the 1950s must be done with care and understanding of the background history.
Parkdem1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Parkdem1 »

IronBark hill is very thrilling to read, at that age natty really passed through alot in life, the most important thing about the book, it teaches alot of morals in it...
Jennie linnane really used a good descriptive words in telling this story...

I really love this one.
Thanks
Aditi1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi1992.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aditi1992 »

I always like reading fiction which portrays some really heavy issues. I liked the character Natty as she strong. Through her, author is trying to bring forward issues like racial discrimination and abuse. Commendable.
Anum Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Anum Raja »

This is a super book and its story is amazing. I like it very much. The other of this book is an amazing and talented writer which have 4 stars. I really like it. IronBark hill is a very good descriptive story and also teaches us many morals that meaningful and important for a common life.
Thank you so much. :P :P :P

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”