Official Review: Inside the Chinese Wine Industry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Official Review: Inside the Chinese Wine Industry

Post by Camille Turner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inside the Chinese Wine Industry" by Loren Mayshark.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inside the Chinese Wine Industry by Loren Mayshark is an insightful look into the history of wine consumption and production in China and where the industry is headed. The book begins with providing an overview of the important events that led to the introduction of and interest in grape wine in China, such as Emperor Kangxi drinking it to cure his ailments in the 17th century. Mayshark tracks these turning points up to modern day events, highlighting important incidents like Premier Li Peng’s proclamation in 1996 in which he promoted the consumption of red wine and denounced using grain to produce expensive liquor when it could be used to feed China’s impoverished citizens. The book covers all of the main points as to past and current trends in wine consumption in China (including the Bordeaux craze) and looks at where those trends may be headed.

Additionally, readers can expect to learn a great deal about Chinese wine production (including big producers like Dynasty Fine Wines and The Great Wall Wine Company) and what types of wine are being made in the country. Mayshark’s overview of where you can taste wine in China, his description of the various Chinese wine regions, and his explanation of why we don’t see much Chinese wine exported are particularly insightful. Overall, the book is a comprehensive look at a country who is quickly rising in the wine industry.

I have many good things to say about Mayshark’s book, and I was particularly interested in reading it because I’m not only a huge wine lover, but my husband, a French chef, often leads wine tastings as part of his job. Being well versed in French, Italian, Spanish, and South American wine, I was shocked that neither of us had a clue when it came to Chinese wine. I was greatly rewarded by reading this book which did not disappoint in its diverse information and introduction to the Chinese wine industry. Mayshark has done his research well, and the book is full of evidence to back up everything the author asserts.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as it is extremely well-organized in both format and content, following a logical layout of events and statistics that provide insight into the wine industry in China. The content is also well-rounded, not ignoring things that could easily be overlooked such as the impact that mobile commerce or climate change are having on the wine industry. Furthermore, the look at personal stories of people who have gone to China to set up vineyards provided small narrative breaks from the more factual prose. I only noticed a handful of errors such as an extra space between two sentences and the use of the word “factor” instead of “factory” once. These few errors were not enough to take away a star as they were scarce and non-intrusive.

Inside the Chinese Wine Industry will appeal to wine lovers or those who work or have an interest in the wine industry. It’s a book for readers who like statistics and enjoy speculating about what those facts mean for the future. I certainly learned a lot and am itching to try some Chinese wine!

Inside the Chinese Wine Industry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Camille Turner's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Chinese wine?! I have never heard of a wine industry in China before. I have heard of saki (rice wine), but I believe that originated in Japan. The content of this book seems refreshing as it covers something new and unique. Your review was excellent! Now, I also want to try Chinese wine!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I must admit, I had no idea that Chinese wine was a big thing either. But that's just my own ignorance. I'm sure after reading this book, you and your husband will be looking forward to trying some! Let us know how it is!
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

wow. i wasn't expecting the literal meaning.I thought that title might con notate something else.Looks like an interesting book.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Prior to this review, I also have not heard of Chinese wine. I just have a basic idea that, China is 'tech' driven. I'm adding this book to my TBR shelf also, looking forward to tasting a Chinese wine. Thank you for this review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

KristyKhem wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 22:04 Chinese wine?! I have never heard of a wine industry in China before. I have heard of saki (rice wine), but I believe that originated in Japan. The content of this book seems refreshing as it covers something new and unique. Your review was excellent! Now, I also want to try Chinese wine!
Exactly! I knew rice wine was also popular in China, but not grape wine. I learned so much! Thank you; I hope we both get to try some soon! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Bianka Walter wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 04:00 I must admit, I had no idea that Chinese wine was a big thing either. But that's just my own ignorance. I'm sure after reading this book, you and your husband will be looking forward to trying some! Let us know how it is!
Great review :)
Yes, we are! Unfortunately, it's hard to come by since the Chinese consume so much wine that the majority of it produced in China stays in China. But that won't stop me from trying to get my hands on a bottle. I will definitely let you know! Thanks for your comment. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

writer808 wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 04:56 wow. i wasn't expecting the literal meaning.I thought that title might con notate something else.Looks like an interesting book.
It is very interesting. I learned so much!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

T_stone wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 06:24 Prior to this review, I also have not heard of Chinese wine. I just have a basic idea that, China is 'tech' driven. I'm adding this book to my TBR shelf also, looking forward to tasting a Chinese wine. Thank you for this review
I had not heard of it either before reading the book. I have learned so much! Thanks for commenting. :)
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Being well versed in French, Italian, Spanish, and South American wine, I was shocked that neither of us had a clue when it came to Chinese wine.
Me neither! This book deals with a unique subject and judging from your review is well-organized and engaging. Thanks for the informative review!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 12:19
Being well versed in French, Italian, Spanish, and South American wine, I was shocked that neither of us had a clue when it came to Chinese wine.
Me neither! This book deals with a unique subject and judging from your review is well-organized and engaging. Thanks for the informative review!
It's definitely worth the read. I learned so much! Thanks for commenting! :)
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

How interesting! I am not a great wine connoisseur myself, but I have an interest in the industry as a whole. This must be a fascinating book and I would be interested to find out if and when Chinese wines make it onto the world stage. I enjoyed your review.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

sonya01 wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 16:28 How interesting! I am not a great wine connoisseur myself, but I have an interest in the industry as a whole. This must be a fascinating book and I would be interested to find out if and when Chinese wines make it onto the world stage. I enjoyed your review.
You'd certainly like it if you're interested in the industry! I learned so much. Thanks for commenting. :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not really a wine and cheese type person. I also am unsure why I would care where that's headed in China. So, while I'm glad that you enjoyed it, I'll pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

What fun it must have been for you to read this book, with the experiences of you and your husband. I have never heard anything about Chinese wine. If I were into wine I would definitely want to find out about this new horizon. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”