Review by Onyinye Excel -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Review by Onyinye Excel -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Onyinye Excel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 3" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The word ‘heartaches’ most times refers to matters of the heart. The pains one suffers as a result of one emotional trauma or the other. H.M. Irwing’s book, Heartaches 3 – Bad Boy Vibes is the last in the series of a romance story about Rafe and Anna. It has several plots, including that of a drug cartel and a gay couple. Rafe and Anna have been through so much in the past. Rafe tries to help her confront her fears and move forward. Eric Dayton and Peter Preston, members of the drug cartel are the antagonists in the story. Ned Slater feels Eric had a hand in his brother’s death, and wants revenge.

This story is an emotional thriller. The erotic sexual scenes in this book are well described and the characters are entertaining. The author provides enough information on the background of the characters. His language is easy to understand and detailed enough. Though too much emphasis was laid on their heartaches, the author also exposes the vulnerabilities of the characters. The ability of the author to also shed light on gay romance was commendable. I learnt so much from this book.

I didn’t appreciate the use of BDSM in the story. This was what I liked the least in the story. I understand that it was for a good motive, but it was nauseating. What I like most about the book was the gay romance in the book. This was my first time of reading a romance novel that contains gay romance and sincerely I was not disappointed. The ability of the author to reflect this in his story was quite hilarious and entertaining.

There were some missing characters at the end, and I wondered why they were left out. Characters like Suzie and her boyfriend are such examples. Though I didn’t read the first series, I could easily follow the story once I started reading it. This was quite commendable on the part of the author. A little humor at the end would have made the end more interesting.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I took out one star because there were a lot of run-on sentences which did not make complete sense. It also had a lot of grammatical errors such as: “Rafe stepped back in just in time to catch Pat bowing out of the game.”(Page 31). I did not give it a 2 because the story was entertaining enough if not for the errors.

This book would appeal most to rape victims and those dealing with heartaches. Lovers of romance stories would want to read this book. This book would appeal least to people who are against same sex marriage. Anyone with no interest in romance stories may not want to read this book.

Heartaches 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Onyinye Excel's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Third review I've through on this book and I must say that yours is outstanding. Indeed, the plot sounds amazing and the characters enjoyable Not my kind of book but you've written a beautiful review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I did wish Suzi was in the book more also. I think BDSM took a bigger chunk out of the book than it had to. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Great review, I've reviewed this book too and I quite agree with your analysis of it. I also share your views on the BDSM use in the book.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The title "Heartache 3" really suits the painful situations that Anna and Rafe went through. This book will motivate rape victims to heal and move on with their lives. Thank you for a wonderful review of this book.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

What a nice explanation of a word 'heartaches.' I have also read and reviewed this book. And your rating has opened my eyes on important issues I didn't take into consideration back then. Enchanting review!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

The erotic and BDSM would deter me from this book. Thanks for your review though.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I like your take/expatiation on heart ache - decent job! I believe I might have issues with the erotic scenes especially if described in too much details. The BDSM and gay romance would not appeal to me. I will have to pass by this read.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I can't wait to read those books! Thank you very much for your review!
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I also thought the BDSM was too excessive and took away from the story. However, I appreciated the message the author tried to convey. Thanks for the wonderful review.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I like the fact that the book is easy to understand and detailed enough. Thanks for the concise review.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I find the use of BDSM in the book, very intriguing. I like your review. Blessings!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”