Review by Onyinye Excel -- Chasing The Red Queen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Review by Onyinye Excel -- Chasing The Red Queen

Post by Onyinye Excel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chasing The Red Queen" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The cover page of this book caught my attention. It was captivating and I wanted to find out more. I’m glad I was not disappointed. Also, the phrase ‘red queen’ piqued my curiosity. I learnt quite a handful from her. If you’re a lover of romance with a lot of generational history and fiction, then this book is for you.

Karen Glista’s book, CHASING THE RED QUEEN – A Sault Ste Marie Novel is a fictional romance story about friendship, family, love, courage, bravery and history. It focuses majorly on the love affair between some Iridescent and humans. Donja’s father is dead. Her mother, Lisa remarries Carson. They have to leave their home and relocate to Carson’s piece of property at Hampton Manor. Donja breaks up with her boyfriend, Kevin, because she refused to sleep with him. This move will be hard on Donja. She will lose her best friend and all the people she grew up with. Surprisingly, this move would mark a new beginning for Donja. It would change the life of her family, especially after she encounters some Iridescent. Would her family survive secrets of the past? These and many more are the questions answered in this book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I almost gave it a 4 but had to reconsider because of some errors like, “That must have tough” (page 45) and lots more that I encountered in the course of reading the book. I also did not give it a 2 because I found the story captivating. It was laudable.

Since I’ve never heard of the word, ‘Iridescent’, this book taught me a lot about them. I enjoyed learning about their kind. Affiliates like Torin made me realize that everyone is capable of love. All we have to do is accept them the way they are. This was what I enjoyed most in the story. Love happens to us all. Most times, we don’t know when it shows up. When Torin lost his best friend, my heart was moved. This was what I liked least in the story. My reason is that he died at the hands of the enemy. It caused Torin pain and I was sad about this.

Karen Glisten wove several plots to give a balanced story. There was a lot of history and background information on the major characters to set the stage for the climax of the story. Her love language was heartwarming. I was especially endeared to Makayla and Donja’s friendship and sisterhood. Their gothic and ‘gothic glam’ transformations endeared them to my heart. I appreciated the way they chose to fill in each other’s needs. Though there were horror scenes in the story, the marriages at the end made up for it.

Chasing The Red Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Onyinye Excel's review? Post a comment saying so!
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

"Love happens to us all. Most times, we don’t know when it shows up" - I love this deduction. I'm motivated to read this book. Thanks dear.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Nice summary. Not my type of book but I appreciate your review and how you describe your rating of the book. Thanks for the review!
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Wow! I like the 'red queen' thing. Reminds me of high school. Guess I'll have to read this book to find out more about the iridescent. Impressive review - blessings!
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

this review is a bit bland, but it did pique my interest slightly.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

I love that there are several plots in the story. However, I know that it's hard to pull off several plots because the reader ends up skimming some of them because they want to get to the main plot. Hopefully, this book wove them together well.
Bookcool123
Currently Reading: The Relik
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcool123.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Bookcool123 »

Well, the author did make an earnest example of love through this book so a thumbs up for the hard work. Thanks for the review.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

Sometimes the grammar of the book turn us off, like no matter how good the storyline is it is still a turn off sometimes.

This book sounds interesting, and I agree with you the cover photo is really captivating and intriguing.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I have to Google iridescent. Wonderful review. I like that I can.sympathize with the character about moving a lot. It is tough. I like that it is a romance novel. Thank you for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 12:59 I have to Google iridescent. Wonderful review. I like that I can.sympathize with the character about moving a lot. It is tough. I like that it is a romance novel. Thank you for the review.

This was my first time of hearing about them, and sincerely I was not disappointed. Regards.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Romance novels are my cup of tea, and the fact that there are horror scenes in this one is a bonus. Fascinating review like always.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am not a fan of romance, so I won't be reading this one. Haven't heard of iridescent myself and I will look it up. Thanks for your review.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I am absolutely undecided here. I do read romance and the book cover is quite catchy, same as title. I will need to come back, please keep the reviews coming!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book's cover is actually catchy. Romance and a bit of horror sounds like good read to me, and your review has piqued my interest in this book. Thank you for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

I like that there was a lot of background information given. I enjoy when a character is strengthened that way.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”