Official Review: Tail of the Tigress by David deVire

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Tail of the Tigress by David deVire

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tail of the Tigress" by David deVire.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tail of the Tigress by David deVire is a profound read that provokes thought by presenting differences in gender and asking reflective questions.

In the book, deVire explores how gender roles have evolved over time and he challenges the reader to consider different arguments and discussions regarding the topic and derive a conclusion. The author delves into physiological factors, social and education norms, traditions that have been upheld and others broken, he explores the modern workplace, he goes back to years past and presents the accounts of individuals who chose to defy the more traditional route and believed they could change the social fabric of their time even if this meant facing the consequences. He also includes individuals and organizations who wanted to maintain the status quo and punish those who wished to change it. deVire challenges common mind-sets allowing the reader to look at issues from different angles.

The style of writing in Tail of the Tigress is befitting to its content. Instead of telling, the author focuses on showing and presenting information and allows the reader to derive conclusions by themselves. In as sensitive a topic as gender balance and equality, the writer’s style of writing is the most suitable. The other benefit I observed as an outcome of this style is that it allows the discussion to be conversational and not merely one-sided which helped in focusing my attention on the information and the message being conveyed.

I also liked that the book is well-researched, professionally written and edited. In many places within the book statistics are quoted which gave me a better picture of the topics that have been explored. The author includes many interesting and fascinating accounts of ladies mostly in UK’s history that defied the norm and broke the gender barriers as well as what they had to endure to get there. These and many other accounts and ideas are contained in the book.

The information contained in the book is also fascinating. deVire considers possibly everything even the most minute of details. At one point he recounts, “As we moved out of the dark ages and towards the Industrial Revolution, the changes in technology and social mores reflected changes in the brain’s functions”.

Tail of the Tigress is enlightening and thought-provoking. It helped me look at gender roles and how they have evolved even more keenly. Every reader interested in the topic of gender equality will find the information contained in the book invaluable and a great way to test what they believe. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Tail of the Tigress
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I like the book title and the implied meaning that resonates with its theme. A thought-provoking book about gender equality which is sensibly handled is rare to find these days. I will pin it to my TR list. Thanks for the review!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

The title of the book as well as the content, as per your review, piqued my interest. Thanks for the insightful review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

These days, we find out gender related issues are quite serious. This book's contents seem to have touched the topic according to your review. Good review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

More than anything, gender roles and gender equality and differences are being put to the test in today's society. This sounds like a book worth reading. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

What a really interesting book! Gender equality and all of it's tentacles. I have a little bit of experience with testing gender norms and find the topic fascinating. Glad you enjoyed the book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not sure about the content of this one. I do appreciate the conversational style as well as the well researched information. I think I'm going to pass for now. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

Very interesting! I love reading about current issues where the writer does not lean to either side. It sounds strictly informational, definitely something I'd consider reading. I also appreciate that the author used statistics from other sources. This is how you know when things were properly researched. Great review!
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

I like that the author does intense research on gender that dates back in history. These are issues that humans are strangling to understand nowadays. Nice review.
Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sirlimu01 »

OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tail of the Tigress" by David deVire.

The Tail of the Tigress by David deVire is a book that provokes thought by picturing differences in gender and asking reflective questions.

In the book, the author explores how gender roles have evolved over time and he challenges the reader to consider different arguments and discussions regarding the topic and derive a conclusion. DeVire delves into physiological factors, social and education norms, traditions that have been upheld and others broken, he explores the modern workplace, he goes back to years past and presents the accounts of individuals who chose to defy the more traditional route and believed they could change the social fabric of their time even if this meant facing the consequences. He also includes individuals and organizations who wanted to maintain the status.
I love the approach the author uses to do research on gender since it's what humans are in need of it comprehension this days . I rate it 4out of 4.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”