Official Review: Fireflies by Melissa Koberlein

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Fireflies by Melissa Koberlein

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fireflies" by Melissa Koberlein.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fireflies is the first book in the Fireflies Trilogy written by Melissa Koberlein. Fate causes two completely different souls to cross paths when Will discovers Marley. She is the one he has been searching for. Not entirely human, Will harbors tiny aliens inside of his body which gives him special powers. Only certain humans are able to host these magnificent creatures within themselves, and Marley is one of the special ones. Impulsively, Will secretly marks Marley to let others know that she is being tracked and recruited by him. As he gets to know her, he begins to fall for her.

Marley herself is drawn to the handsome seventeen-year-old boy with green lights in his eyes. She falls for the mysterious new student and is determined to find out all of his secrets. Why does being around him make her dizzy? What about the strange mark on her shoulder? Does it have anything to do with the strange piece of meteorite she found in her backpack? The pair goes through a tumultuous relationship, especially when Marley learns that she may have to give up everything and everyone to become an alien host, but more importantly to even be with Will.

The premise of this teen novel successfully blends romance and sci-fi. It was an enjoyable read and I was hooked from the beginning to the end. The romance is mild, but it is perfectly paced for teenagers and young adults. The sci-fi aspect of the book was also interesting. It stimulated my imagination as I read, and I found myself brainstorming ideas as to how the alien life forms could function to further enhance human lives. This also added a unique mysteriousness to the alien characters. Will and his family reminded me of the Cullens from the Twilight series since they had supernatural talents like clairvoyance, telekinesis, and slow aging.

Despite it being a romance story, the author also included a villain. He was a different type of alien host - one who used his abilities to turn his subordinates into slaves. When he caught Marley, the book morphed into a full-blown suspense. This made the premise very exciting. It became a real page-turner and I could not put it down as I was scrambling to find out what would happen next. In addition to that, more secrets surrounding Marley’s compatibility with the alien creatures were divulged. This directly impacted the romance between her and Will. These were both unpredictable and surprising. I always like being surprised while reading a book, so I enjoyed this twist immensely.

This book hardly contained any errors. I only found one sentence in which an article was missing. Overall, I am happy to give Fireflies a 4 out of 4 rating! Teen romance readers will devour this book. Fans of Twilight and The Host will also enjoy this book.

Fireflies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Will and his family reminded me of the Cullens from the Twilight series since they had supernatural talents like clairvoyance, telekinesis, and slow aging.
Oddly enough, before you mentioned this, I had a strange feeling that this has a resemblance to the Twilight series. I was not wrong. I am glad that you enjoyed the twist in the story. Thanks for the review!
Favour Maximum
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Favour Maximum »

What a nice one. Just as it happens to Will and Marley, fate brings two completely different people together. The story is more like that of the Twilight. I enjoyed it.
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

The author must have done great work to blend romance with Sci-fi and it makes the book more interesting. Though i am not a fan of sci-fi, the romance aspect draws me in.
arinola grace
Currently Reading: A Tome of Order Magic
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arinola-grace.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B077RNJR5N

Post by arinola grace »

Just from reading your review I am already anticipating the book. A perfect blend of romance, sci-fi makes the odds boundless and the choices unique and with a splash of danger, the extent of emotions are clearly shown along with giving room for the might of the extraordinary abilities to be showcased. Your review is wonderful, thanks.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

arinola grace wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 11:10 Just from reading your review I am already anticipating the book. A perfect blend of romance, sci-fi makes the odds boundless and the choices unique and with a splash of danger, the extent of emotions are clearly shown along with giving room for the might of the extraordinary abilities to be showcased. Your review is wonderful, thanks.
Thanks! I know this one will become a favorite. It was superb.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I am a fan of Twilight and I sure that I will love this book. Great review.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

As soon as I started reading your review I initially thought about Stephenie Meyer's The Host novel and then I kept reading and you mentioned it. It's definitely not a new concept but it is an interesting spin on it so I'll probably pick this up sometime in the future. Great review!
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

serendipity 27 wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 14:06 As soon as I started reading your review I initially thought about Stephenie Meyer's The Host novel and then I kept reading and you mentioned it. It's definitely not a new concept but it is an interesting spin on it so I'll probably pick this up sometime in the future. Great review!
Thank you!
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Blending romance ans sci-fi is not the easiest of the accomplishments. I'm not much into alien things so I might pass, though I'm sure it was an excellent reading.
Berry :wine:
Shelby_21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shelby_21 »

I'm such a fan of this book, never liked scifi but this was very good.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”