Review by Ijeoma Kikelomo -- Chrome Mountain

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Review by Ijeoma Kikelomo -- Chrome Mountain

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"I had a dream myself... Yes. The chopper flew past a mountain. Then the peak was hit by some kind of light beam from the sky. I don’t know if it was the power of God, but it drilled all the way through the mountain,” Sonya narrated. Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider is a story about the struggle between good and evil, one man’s decision to be upright and stand for what he believes, even if it meant putting his own life on the line.

The story captures the lives of two individuals. Sonya McCall, a tough piece of eye-candy atop her Harley, and Trey Radisson, a brilliant scientist and the inventor of a unique device, the VV1 (Veiler, Version 1), a cloaking device that could render anything it was attached to entirely undetectable to every eyeball on the planet. Two persons from totally different backgrounds with almost nothing in common. How would their paths meet? What would become of this biker woman and the nerdy genius?

The only thing both characters had in common was simply the fact that they were both on the run. Running because they were being chased. Sonya, by her past with the Screamon Demons, a very notorious biker gang that she was once a member of. Trey, by a future with the Chrome Falcon, a terrorist organisation with ambitions of becoming an empire, led by ‘General’ Casprite, a modern day Hitler. Just what do the Chrome Falcon want with Trey? Can Sonya really escape her past? How far away can they run? Who can protect them? Most importantly, what has a mountain got to do with anything?

An incredibly well-knit story, Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider is a fast-paced action-packed thriller that is sure to keep the reader wondering and guessing. Considering the unique characters and the writer’s adept description of scenes, it was not difficult to like this book. One amazing quality it also had, is the unique sense of humour it was spiced with. The writer deserves commendation for his ability to draw up some humour in dreadfully terrifying situations. I had lots of rib-cracking bouts of laughter, even in situations that should have had me feeling pensive and overly anxious.

Apart from being a thriller, the book was also packed with a number of thought-provoking themes. It touched subjects such as romance, forgiveness, redemption, revenge, friendship, the supernatural and so on. The author’s language was simple enough (considering the plot) and very easy to understand. Being able to read what the characters were actually thinking also made it easier to interpret the goings-on.

Overall, I only found a few spelling and punctuation errors. The book obviously has seen the hands of an editor. The protagonists were relatable and truly wonderful, it was very difficult not to like them. I was impressed by the way the characters developed and evolved as the story progressed. Romance in the story blossomed beautifully and was without a huge emphasis on sex.

It is very difficult to find any aspect of this book I didn’t like. I did wonder, though, why the Chrome Falcon didn’t just abduct Trey’s parents. After all, they were a merciless and powerful organisation. Taking Trey’s parents hostage would have forced him to surrender, thus ending the whole pursuit. It seemed really obvious to me, but the author didn't exhaust that option, he rather chose the longer way around.

Chrome Mountain was well-written and incredibly organized. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Hence, I wholeheartedly rate this book as 4 out of 4 stars. My expectations were surpassed by a long shot. The balance of humour and action, the character development, suspense build-up and superb story-telling, all culminated into one really amazing book.

I would recommend this book to lovers of fast-paced, action-packed thrillers in the Sci-fi genre. If you are not one to grasp ideas such as cloaking and teleportation, or if you favour slower paced books, then this might not be the right book for you.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ijeoma Kikelomo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Wow! What a wonderful review! It really prompt me to read the book. I like the fact that the story comprises humour, action and suspense. I also want to know Trey and Soya's fate.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I find your perspective of this book refreshing - The fight between good and evil. Informative review.Thanks.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I was thinking the same thing. Why not just abduct his family? With the sniper going to the wrong house, lol, I guess they wouldn't have been too successful. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I did too. Awesome review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

LaurenHaupt wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 08:58 I was thinking the same thing. Why not just abduct his family? With the sniper going to the wrong house, lol, I guess they wouldn't have been too successful. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I did too. Awesome review!
Thank you so much!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

Onyinye Excel wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 11:52 I find your perspective of this book refreshing - The fight between good and evil. Informative review.Thanks.
Thank you too!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 09:49 Wow! What a wonderful review! It really prompt me to read the book. I like the fact that the story comprises humour, action and suspense. I also want to know Trey and Soya's fate.

I'm glad I've aroused your interest. It's a wonderful book. Thanks for your comment.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Great review, I love the summary and the wording you used in the review. I'm still on the fence about this book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

Absolutely gorgeous review! You do a lovely job of highlighting just the right amount of detail to encourage readers to dive into this story. Thank you!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

jcoad wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 22:30 Great review, I love the summary and the wording you used in the review. I'm still on the fence about this book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Thank you so much too for reading through.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

AmandaReadsBooks1 wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 15:03 Absolutely gorgeous review! You do a lovely job of highlighting just the right amount of detail to encourage readers to dive into this story. Thank you!
Thank you for your comment!
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Thank you for your informative review. The genre is really my cup of tea, but I'm sure that those that find it interesting will enjoy it.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Ijeoma Kikelomo wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 19:29 My expectations were surpassed by a long shot. The balance of humour and action, the character development, suspense build-up and superb story-telling, all culminated into one really amazing book.
You've given high praise to this book! I love it when an author can interject humor into a story to break up the tension and lighten the mood. Your review makes me interested to read this book. Well done!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Thrillers that have other base subjects such as forgiveness, friendship and romance sounds like a very good read to me. This is a very succinct review. Good one
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Your review is certainly compelling. Thank you for your wonderful review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”