Official Review: The Making of a Man by Mark Hearn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Making of a Man by Mark Hearn

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Making of a Man" by Mark Hearn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Making of a Man by Mark Hearn is a coming-of-age collection of poetry, prose, and philosophic writings following the author's journey from boyhood to manhood. Beginning in his teenage years and on into his late twenties, Hearn reflects on issues such as his parents' divorce, loneliness, depression, love, relationships with girls and friends, family conflict, death, and decisions related to his education and career choices.

After dealing with the fallout from his parents' divorce during his teen years, Hearn must also learn to cope with the pain of his own divorce at twenty-two. Readers will relate to his transparently raw reflections as he finds his way. Evidenced by the dated entries of the collection, the reader witnesses Hearn's progression from wrestling self-doubt to maturing and defining his course in life and love. He concludes that fears and challenges can be overcome; goals and dreams are achieved by believing in one's success.

As the sister of two younger brothers and mother of a young adult son of my own, this coming-of-age collection piqued my interest. Remembering their seasons of searching and restlessness, I could relate to Hearn's description of his journey. The book was described as being "comprised of poems, prose, and general philosophy." More often than not, it read more like a series of ramblings one might find in a journal. Nevertheless, I purposed to view the works collectively. While scathingly self-analytical at times, I found his reflections to be refreshingly transparent--most likely relatable and encouraging for young people going through the same season of life.

However, I felt the collection was weakened by the inclusion of repetitious content. Perhaps Hearn's intent was to maintain the book's integrity by including all of his dated entries. Even so, I believe readers will likely tire of his lamenting about his time in Geneva, as I did. Finding a different way to emphasize how much he disliked living in Switzerland other than the multiple entries contemplating his indecisiveness would improve the book as a whole.

The collection seems to have been professionally edited, as I noted only a few errors, including what appears to be an editor's note in the margins of one of the pages. Perhaps this was due to the PDF copy I read, but it bears noting. Overall, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I have no doubt that purging some of the repetitious content would bring the rating to the full four stars. I recommend the book to young adult readers and those who enjoy poetry, prose, and philosophy. On the other hand, if reading self-analytical content tries your patience, you'll probably want to skip this one.

The Making of a Man
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Nice book here. It is good to note that the author believes that one can accomplish his/her goals and be successful. This book could be of great help to those passing under similar circumstances. Thanks for the enthralling review. Perhaps, as you have stated, lessening the repetitions will be of great benefit to the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Kibetious wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 03:19 Nice book here. It is good to note that the author believes that one can accomplish his/her goals and be successful. This book could be of great help to those passing under similar circumstances. Thanks for the enthralling review. Perhaps, as you have stated, lessening the repetitions will be of great benefit to the book.
Thanks for your comment.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The repetitious content would seem tiresome. I’m not sure the journal-like content is something I would enjoy right now, but I am glad the author seems to have ended up in a better place as he matured through difficult circumstances.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that this was professionally edited. However, I am still not into poetry. Also given the content, I'm definitely not interested in this. I'm glad you were able to enjoy most of it despite the repetition.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Interesting concept for a book. Great job summarizing what the author was doing and the message he was trying to get across. This is not my type of book but thanks for the informative review!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

This coming-of-age story sounds like it has potential. Hopefully the author will do some content editing and hone the message a bit better. Thanks for a great introduction to this book!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

stacie k wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 19:54 The repetitious content would seem tiresome. I’m not sure the journal-like content is something I would enjoy right now, but I am glad the author seems to have ended up in a better place as he matured through difficult circumstances.
I understand. Thanks for your comment, Stacie.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 20:21 I'm glad that this was professionally edited. However, I am still not into poetry. Also given the content, I'm definitely not interested in this. I'm glad you were able to enjoy most of it despite the repetition.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

jcoad wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 20:59 Interesting concept for a book. Great job summarizing what the author was doing and the message he was trying to get across. This is not my type of book but thanks for the informative review!
I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Eva Darrington wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 23:32 This coming-of-age story sounds like it has potential. Hopefully the author will do some content editing and hone the message a bit better. Thanks for a great introduction to this book!
Thank you, Eva.
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

i think this book is a must-read for young boys as many of them might have to experience the events similar to those that the author faced.It would give them insights into the tough nature of life.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”