Fussy Fantasy Reader

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
TwistedHelix
Bookshelf Size: 0

Fussy Fantasy Reader

Post by TwistedHelix »

Hi All,

I like Fantasy, however, not J R R tolkein remakes. They are all painfully samey; Coming of age stable boy, a princess a big bad that's bad for badness sakes. Ridiculously long bloated narration. Cliche language such as the "for the.." template etc.

I enjoyed Feists work somewhat, and the actual LOTR was decent. GoT has been decent, though still have to power through the above issues.

My finished fantasy reading lists are
1. Dark Tower
2. Feists trilogy
3. H Potter
4. The Night Watch series (fantastic if you can grit through the average translation. I forgave it as Russian to direct English is essentially impossible so kudos to the editors/translators for getting it 95% correct).
5. LOTR
6. GoT

My incomplete list due to "not for me" is growing faster than wildfire.
I like fantasy, however am getting tired of the same old formats of medievil setting.

Are there any fantasys set with standard tech or advanced tech?

I DO NOT mean tech has to be involved with magical systems.
I DO NOT mean tech has to play any sort of major role.

I do not want a space opera with magic.

I literally mean a novel with magic and arcane wonders where instead of travelling by horse - a car or car-like invention exists.
Where instead of a big battle being yet another castle smash, could be a military complex.

Preferably also not based on Earth.

I have tried Jim Butchers dresden files and ugh, no, just no.

Yes I am fussy. Yes I am blunt.

But I hate having no books to read, and have gone a few months finding nothing but LOTR remakes, like Sanderson et al. It's all the same story in terms of setting and atmosphere, only the plot differs, but has the same allegorical feel.

Many thanks.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

Have you tried the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini? I find it similar to LOTR and Harry Potter in some aspects but it's nice. It's set in a land called Alagaesia.
TwistedHelix

Post by TwistedHelix »

Many thanks for the replies. I shall give all titles recommended a chance.
Joanna19
Currently Reading: The Ring of Solomon
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Joanna19 »

I have been enjoying the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. Witty, magical, an easy read, and set in a London scene where airplanes, cars and computers coincide with imps, djinn, magicians and summoning circles.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

TwistedHelix wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 07:21 Hi All,

I like Fantasy, however, not J R R tolkein remakes. They are all painfully samey; Coming of age stable boy, a princess a big bad that's bad for badness sakes. Ridiculously long bloated narration. Cliche language such as the "for the.." template etc.

I enjoyed Feists work somewhat, and the actual LOTR was decent. GoT has been decent, though still have to power through the above issues.

My finished fantasy reading lists are
1. Dark Tower
2. Feists trilogy
3. H Potter
4. The Night Watch series (fantastic if you can grit through the average translation. I forgave it as Russian to direct English is essentially impossible so kudos to the editors/translators for getting it 95% correct).
5. LOTR
6. GoT

My incomplete list due to "not for me" is growing faster than wildfire.
I like fantasy, however am getting tired of the same old formats of medievil setting.

Are there any fantasys set with standard tech or advanced tech?

I DO NOT mean tech has to be involved with magical systems.
I DO NOT mean tech has to play any sort of major role.

I do not want a space opera with magic.

I literally mean a novel with magic and arcane wonders where instead of travelling by horse - a car or car-like invention exists.
Where instead of a big battle being yet another castle smash, could be a military complex.

Preferably also not based on Earth.

I have tried Jim Butchers dresden files and ugh, no, just no.

Yes I am fussy. Yes I am blunt.

But I hate having no books to read, and have gone a few months finding nothing but LOTR remakes, like Sanderson et al. It's all the same story in terms of setting and atmosphere, only the plot differs, but has the same allegorical feel.

Many thanks.
Does the big nope to The Dresden Files make urban fantasy a no go?

Have you tried any Terry Pratchett?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

They are of the fantasy genre but are different than most I have read and are based on earth. The Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs. The Shadow falls series or the Mortican’s Daughter series by C.C. Hunter. The House of Night series by P.C. & Kristen Cast. The Shannara Chronicles which has a futuristic view of earth with elves and demons.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

Have you tried Scott Westerfield or Neil Gaiman?
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

How about The Throne of Glass series from Sara J. Maas? It's got a great magic system and a lot of really epic world building without the bloat. I really liked it!
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

Have you read the Caraval and Legendary by Stephenie Garber?
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is another fantasy magical book.
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

Have you tried books by Cinda Williams Chima? They are YA but the stories are great.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

These books may not be in the realm you are looking for, but Julie Czerneda writes beautiful fantasy books. I believe she taught science before becoming an author full-time. She is the best world builder I have ever read. She uses her background in biology not only to describe plants and animals beautifully, but she also uses biology as keys to her plots. And, her descriptions are meticulous.

One trilogy, Species Imperative, starts with a woman biologist who studies fish in a beautiful lake setting. She ends up in space saving the universe before all is over. These are fun, fast reads.

Another trilogy, The Trade Pact, is set in a different time and place. But the characters are so intriguing that Czerneda wrote another trilogy to continue with their families.

My favorite trilogy is probably The Web Shifters. I love to read about changelings from any planet. Again, she builds beautiful worlds and wonderful characters.

Maybe this will help. She has a couple of stand-alone books, too, if you are interested.

Good reading to you!!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dreamthewilderness »

I'm a huge fan of the book Poison by Christopher Wooding - it doesn't match the qualification for modern tech inclusion unfortunately, but it's an exquisite read and certainly has a format of its own. Very thought provoking, and grazes the fourth wall with class - a hard thing to achieve indeed.
Glenora

Post by Glenora »

I suggest the Shatter Me series it’s a dystopian romance series with pleanty of twists and turns with a relatibke protagonist. It has serveral novellas told in the perspective of the love interests. It’s action packed and exiting, with a love triangle and many good scenes. This is a very good series that I would highly recommended if you like dystopian and mutation stories.
Jamie_Pell
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-pell.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Jamie_Pell »

So, this book does not really meet the technology standard you were looking for, but does not fall into the fantasy template you describe. It's called "The Lies of Locke Lamora" and it's basically about con artists in a non-earth world where con-artistry is an unheard of crime. The writing style and plot are very unique to the genre and the book definitely feels like a breath of fresh-air compared to others.

Sorry for this recommendation coming in way after you posted, I just joined a few days ago and I always tell other Fantasy people to read this book because it is so good.
Kdefaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdefaye.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Kdefaye »

Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles, if you haven't already read them, and her new Renegade series.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”