Official Review: From: JFK by Philip A Wickner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: From: JFK by Philip A Wickner

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From: JFK" by Philip A Wickner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tom is a Native American, part of the Ojibway tribe. His family resides on a reservation in upper Minnesota. He receives a powerful vision that motivates him to travel to the big city. The next day, he and his friend Duck begin the journey on foot. After walking for several hours, a trucker gives them a ride. Unfortunately, the truck crashes.

Tom appears to be unconscious. In this state, he journeys to a higher plane of existence. He meets Rantala who reveals important information that Tom will need to fulfill his destiny. The instructions include a history of how humans arrived on the blue planet. Rantala reveals what Tom's role will be in altering history. Rantala imparts the keys of knowledge needed to strengthen Tom with wisdom and direction. Tom also receives several superpowers to confront the Evil Empire.

The setting of the story is accurate. The Ojibway or Chippewa have seven reservations in Minnesota. The author incorporates the customs and beliefs of this Native American tribe into the story. Family plays a prominent part in Tom’s life. Mary and grandfather have raised Tom. Now Thomas, Tom’s father, will return to help him accomplish The Grand Design. The belief in visions and inner promptings is strong. Tom also receives direction from the Great Ones through an owl and an eagle.

Tom has a profound interest in the life of President John F. Kennedy. The author incorporates elements of JFK’s life and presidency into the story. He melds the present global situation with the goals of the former president. He puts an unusual spin on Kennedy’s ideals and goals. I found his point of view creative and intriguing.

From: JFK - The Quest, by Philip Wickner is the first book of a series. The story has a changing point of view. In this way, each character tells their story. As this is the first book of a series, the author provides adequate background information for the main characters. This is well done. After sharing their past, the author unveils how these characters will assist Tom in completing his mission.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book needs further editing due to grammar mistakes. The story is well conceived and interesting. It works well as a standalone book. At the same time, it introduces the main characters and prepares the groundwork for an entertaining series. Readers of mystery will enjoy this tale. This is not another book that retells the life and assassination of the former president. People who have an interest in JFK will enjoy this unique twist on his life.

View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This sounds like a great book. Thanks for the review. It is intriguing that some aspects of President JFK were incorporated into the book. I would love to read this. I hope that another round of editing will be done so as to minimize the errors highlighted above.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

A melding of the current global situation with the ideals of JFK is an intriguing concept I would be keen to read about. Shame it needs further editing. Great review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kibetious wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 00:09 This sounds like a great book. Thanks for the review. It is intriguing that some aspects of President JFK were incorporated into the book. I would love to read this. I hope that another round of editing will be done so as to minimize the errors highlighted above.
This book surprised me. The author has done a great job of presenting a new perspective of his life. It was very enjoyable.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

joshfee77 wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 00:34 A melding of the current global situation with the ideals of JFK is an intriguing concept I would be keen to read about. Shame it needs further editing. Great review!
I felt bad about the editing too. Really wanted to give this book a 4. The idea and perspective are interesting and unique. Hope you will enjoy it also.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

kdstrack wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 22:44
Tom has a profound interest in the life of President John F. Kennedy. The author incorporates elements of JFK’s life and presidency into the story. He melds the present global situation with the goals of the former president. He puts an unusual spin on Kennedy’s ideals and goals. I found his point of view creative and intriguing.

What an interesting and unique premise for a story! It does seem both creative and intriguing. Thanks for your very informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

This book sounds like a strange mix of Indian folklore, JFK and super powers. Interesting to read that you really like the story. I'm not intrigued as it sounds very confusing but if it works could be really cool. Thanks for the review and clarifying the story as the title is a little mid-leading.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

stacie k wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 20:37
kdstrack wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 22:44

What an interesting and unique premise for a story! It does seem both creative and intriguing. Thanks for your very informative review!
Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

jcoad wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 20:47 This book sounds like a strange mix of Indian folklore, JFK and super powers. Interesting to read that you really like the story. I'm not intrigued as it sounds very confusing but if it works could be really cool. Thanks for the review and clarifying the story as the title is a little mid-leading.
It truly was all those things. Yes, I did enjoy the story and hope to read the rest of the series. When you read the book, you understand what the "From" JFK really means. Thanks for reading.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kibetious wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 00:09 This sounds like a great book. Thanks for the review. It is intriguing that some aspects of President JFK were incorporated into the book. I would love to read this. I hope that another round of editing will be done so as to minimize the errors highlighted above.
This is a great book. I really enjoyed this author. The creative twist of this story was very satisfying. Hope you will enjoy it also!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I considered reviewing this book, and see now that it takes a turn I would never have expected - connecting a story about JFK to inter-galactic war! Nice job summarising that one :)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Julie Green wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 01:47 I considered reviewing this book, and see now that it takes a turn I would never have expected - connecting a story about JFK to inter-galactic war! Nice job summarising that one :)
It did take a turn I never expected. I liked the author's creative idea and want to see where he takes it in the next book. It was very refreshing! Hope you will enjoy it too.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Indians, intergalactic warfare, and JFK. What a unique mix! I would like to sample this blend.

Thanks for the intriguing review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Miriam Molina wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 16:14 Indians, intergalactic warfare, and JFK. What a unique mix! I would like to sample this blend.

Thanks for the intriguing review!
That's what fascinated me about this book. Hope you enjoy this author's creative twist! Thanks for stopping by.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I would very much be interested in the customs and beliefs of this native American tribe. Its also interesting to see how the author ties down their story with the JFK Presidency. Great review, kdstrack.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”